Jose Fonte

BleedClaretAndBlue

I do wonder why Fonte would move. Saints are still likely to have a very strong season and until we see how our side plays I'd still have them ahead of us this year

Looking at it from the player's perspective, this would be his last big payday.  He would presumably only come for a payrise and a nice long contract.  He's done 5 years at Southampton at this stage and might want a change of scenery.  Plus as has been said, we're looking like we might be a pretty cool place to play your football right now.  Southampton will undoubtedly finish above us this season but it mightn't be by a whole lot and we're both likely to be in the group labelled 'the rest', so at 31 you take the money, the change of scenery and you roll the dice.

So some might say 'why'.  I say 'why not'.

Now his club agreeing to sell is another matter...

• Like 1

Possible. Although I think Koeman's comments suggest this is a no goer I think, intuitively still strikes me as unlikely until / unless more is revealed.

I agree.  I was just giving it from the player's perspective as per your original post. 

Would take several truckloads of money, to convince both club and player.

That said, it's not my money, so why the fudge not.  He'd walk through the door as our best defender.

I dont think the player will be the issue. 

Omar, you seem to know a little bit about this bid. Am I right in thinking you know a couple of agents or something like that?

Would you say there's life left in any potential deal?

I dont think the player will be the issue.

Omar, you seem to know a little bit about this bid. Am I right in thinking you know a couple of agents or something like that?

Would you say there's life left in any potential deal?

Yes come across quite a few through work and I also get referred clients by them. All I'm going to say is the player isn't the issue. Agreeing a package with Southampton will be. They are very good negotiators.

• Like 1

Â