Jose Fonte

BleedClaretAndBlue

It would surprise me if this deal happened.

It's amazing how many times we've seen words to this effect posted in this forum in the last 4 weeks and yet ... !

Very true.  Thought there was no way we would get Gueye ahead of Saints.  Thought Amavi would end up at Lyon or PSG.  Thought Veretout was a pipe dream. Certainly didn't think we would get Adama over Liverpool.

• Like 3

Have to agree. He'd be a brilliant signing for us but cannot see why they’d sell their player of the season. They have not signed anyone better than him.

Was up there with Terry as the best centre half in the league last season.

I guess if it is to happen, the player is pushing for it. We've probably presented a substantial contract offer and at 30 he perhaps feels it could be his last big deal.

I agree, he's been very consistant over the last two seasons. Provides the stability to their defence and looked even better after undertaking the armband. He'd automatically alleviate many concerns over our current strength at the back.

I can see this happening. This isn't the same Villa that finished last season. This is a Villa side that has signed up most of the best young talents in Europe and has on paper one of the best squads in the league, at least based on potential. Many players would be mad to turn us down at this point and I think that is why players as good as Traore are embracing us with open arms. We are showing ambition, drive and determination and I think any player with half a brain can see that Villa is a great place to be right now. Yes we have likely as much chance to get relegated as winning the league this season, but you can't hide our ambition that is clear to see. 

I think you need to reign in your expectations for this season a little!

Yes we have a far, far better squad than last year. But we also lost 2 key players, one of who's goals kept us up the last 3 years. We've got more goal scoring potential throughout the team now, but no one guaranteeing goals the same way Benteke did.

We've signed some young players who look great, but most of us had never heard of the before so we have not "most of the best young talents in Europe."  

It's a much much better squad than last year, but one of the best in the league? Maybe the best of the clubs that finished in the bottom half last year, but seriously? 

I reckon he would be willing to stay at Southampton but they might want to cash in on him and upgrade with younger centre backs whereas he would be a good fit for us as we already have decent young centre backs and are in need of another experienced head with premiership experience

I think you need to reign in your expectations for this season a little!

Yes we have a far, far better squad than last year. But we also lost 2 key players, one of who's goals kept us up the last 3 years. We've got more goal scoring potential throughout the team now, but no one guaranteeing goals the same way Benteke did.

We've signed some young players who look great, but most of us had never heard of the before so we have not "most of the best young talents in Europe."  

It's a much much better squad than last year, but one of the best in the league? Maybe the best of the clubs that finished in the bottom half last year, but seriously?

My expectations are firmly balanced. I may seem over-excited but I know that potential is just that, we could at the end of the season be 20th as the squad just didn't gel. We could also surprise people and do very well. We'll likely finish somewhere between 15th and 8th, but based on potential alone we have an incredibly good squad but I understand that isn't everything and as a result we have as much chance of having a great season as we are of having a nightmare and getting relegated. My expectations while high does not leave me unrealistic that this could yet again be another terrible season.

Â