Jose Fonte

BleedClaretAndBlue

They'd be idiots to sell. Don't see why they would.

Have to agree. He'd be a brilliant signing for us but cannot see why they’d sell their player of the season. They have not signed anyone better than him.

Was up there with Terry as the best centre half in the league last season.

It would surprise me if this deal happened. 

I know Southampton have been signing defenders but I can't see it being to replace Fonte. Especially as he is their skipper. 

It would certainly give us more options tactically. Richards to RB for example. 

If it DID happen, I think he'd become only the second Portuguese player to ever play for us, after Fernando Nelson. 

Pointless stat to some people I'm sure but whatever!  :)

I'd rather van dijk

Me too, was hoping there was some substance to that Eder Balanta link too.

But Fonte would be a good addition, Neverton made enquiries too apparently

Jeez - you two wanting Dijk and Sherwood giving facials - this is becoming very much like a seedy club in Soho! (not that I frequent them mind - I just work in London!)  ;)

Jeez - we always seem to get the 'can't see it' and no way will 'X' player come comments - then suddenly it's near enough signed and sealed (Traore, Veretout,Amavi etc). Then the (in)famous poster who always says the same thing each and every time about any transfer. I'll just hang fire until a) it's confirmed or B) said signing stays put or signs for another club.

It was just on the weekend that Fonte was interviewed and said he would like Virgil Van Dyke at Southampton, i don't see Southampton selling him. Van Dijk is better than Fonte, Van Dijk would get goals too, his free kicks are amazing!!

Edited by supermon

I can see this happening. This isn't the same Villa that finished last season. This is a Villa side that has signed up most of the best young talents in Europe and has on paper one of the best squads in the league, at least based on potential. Many players would be mad to turn us down at this point and I think that is why players as good as Traore are embracing us with open arms. We are showing ambition, drive and determination and I think any player with half a brain can see that Villa is a great place to be right now. Yes we have likely as much chance to get relegated as winning the league this season, but you can't hide our ambition that is clear to see. 

• Like 1

If we pull this off, we'd have such a strong squad across the board compared to recent years. Our backups would almost be guaranteed starters in previous seasons.

Was thinking the same. Our potential bench could beat last seasons starting team.

Â