Adama Traore

mwj

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's still only a teenager, for anyone to write him off as never going to be this or that is just plain wrong.  How many 19 year olds have what he has?  He can be whatever he wants to be.  I just hope he stays and develops at the Villa, even if we get relegated.  In fact a season as first-team regular in the Championship might be the best development for him.

I hope we can convince him of that. 

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well you're another one who doesn't seem to understand the definition of the word.

In footballing terms it means he doesn't pass.

Considering the most amount of passes he's managed in a game is 7 (and that was only once. Other than that the most he's made is 4), I think it's a fair point.

Regardless of your opinion of his ability, to overlook the fact that he doesn't pass the ball much is a very strange way to go about making your point.

When you add in the fact he rarely makes a run (the past two games have seen numerous players gesticulating at him to run into space) instead always coming short for the ball and the fact he doesn't do much tracking back (yesterday there was a shocking moment where he lost the ball to a player about 5 yards in front of him and then just stood there as the player ran past him) then it's easy to see how some call him selfish.

When you can run past players and whip in a cross like he did yesterday then that selfishness, with the ball at least, becomes an asset. I'm just amazed you have such an issue with people calling him selfish when he quite clearly, rightly or wrongly, is a pretty selfish player.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's still only a teenager, for anyone to write him off as never going to be this or that is just plain wrong.  How many 19 year olds have what he has?  He can be whatever he wants to be.  I just hope he stays and develops at the Villa, even if we get relegated.  In fact a season as first-team regular in the Championship might be the best development for him.

I remember a selfish fancy-dan teenager that came from abroad that played for United a few years ago

wonder what ever happened to that Ronaldo lad

Selfish in football terms? Selfish means what the word means. And as for not passing, against norwich, he attempted to pass the ball with the majority of his touches and was still called selfish. 

Also its not his game, to play short passes and keep the ball. It would be like moaning at the lack of shots westwood has or lack of tackles Gil makes. 

As an attacking winger his game is to attack players and get the ball in the box. He does that. Calling him selfish in football terms for doing his role seems pretty daft to me. 

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The problem with Adama is that his crossing isn't very good. It's all good and well saying 'he always gets a cross in', but when his obvious talent is his pace, power and trickery, he's consistently going to get in the position to cross the ball. Unfortunately, his crossing really needs to improve.

As others have said, two of his crosses were massively over hit (over the whole opposition box), and even the one for the goal looped high over Gestede's head, but luckily for us, Gil was there to stretch his left leg out to meet it. When Gestede is the obvious target to aim for, even the cross for the goal can be considered as overhit, in my opinion.

I'm not meaning to criticise the build up to our goal. I've said before that I'm all for Adama playing more, but this is what me and others have seen all along - even though he HAS big positives, it's questionable at times, whether they outweigh his negatives.

I've watched back our goal from yesterday and I don't think he even turned his head to look in the box for who to cross to. He literally just swung his foot at it, knowing it would go in/around the box and that is presumably good enough. Now, if we start to load the box with at least 3 players whenever Adama has the ball, then great, his consistent-but-slightly-unpredictable crosses could definitely bag us some more goals. However, if he loses the ball, you would have Adama plus any players piling into the box, who then need to track back to protect our defence.

Either he needs to improve his crossing, or he needs to maybe play upfront with Ayew, where he can use his pace, power and skill to just get in shooting positions and do away with crossing to Gestede entirely.

'There's nothing to lose'.... Well, except another game. This time against our biggest relegation rivals.

Terrible post.

Crossing isn't very good? LOL Guess he doesn't get assists then? Only the over 1 per game for us and the 14 at Barca B as a 17/18 year old.

You watched the cross? He knew Gill was there. You will also see he beat 3 men to get that cross in and had both feet off the ground when he it such was is desire and athleticism to get the cross in. 

Ask yourself do we EVER look like scoring when our other players i.e Hutton and co cross the ball? 

Selfish? You see the 1-2 attempt which that clown Bacuna failed to read? 

The Anti-Adama's were proved wrong a long, long time ago.

He does need better than a club that does not have an old skool 80's mentality though. 

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Selfish in football terms? Selfish means what the word means. And as for not passing, against norwich, he attempted to pass the ball with the majority of his touches and was still called selfish. 

Also its not his game, to play short passes and keep the ball. It would be like moaning at the lack of shots westwood has or lack of tackles Gil makes. 

As an attacking winger his game is to attack players and get the ball in the box. He does that. Calling him selfish in football terms for doing his role seems pretty daft to me. 

He passed it 4 times against norwich.

Your last paragraph agrees with me. He doesn't necessarily need to be un-selfish. It's an asset when he plays like he did yesterday. You've agreed with me.

4 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Terrible post.

Crossing isn't very good? LOL Guess he doesn't get assists then? Only the over 1 per game for us and the 14 at Barca B as a 17/18 year old.

You watched the cross? He knew Gill was there. You will also see he beat 3 men to get that cross in and had both feet off the ground when he it such was is desire and athleticism to get the cross in. 

Ask yourself do we EVER look like scoring when our other players i.e Hutton and co cross the ball? 

There was nothing wrong with the cross for the goal. He got it into a dangerous area. That's all I want players to do.

It was the two after that when he smashed it out for a throw in that were the problem. Not a huge one, he can't get them all right, but if he could improve that he'd be much more dangerous.

He is selfish. I like that about him - and there lies the key, to let him keep the things that make him so exciting, improve them where we can but not stop them being his nature or take away from his ability with the ball - letting him continue to play football whilst teaching him how to be a professional footballer. He's got a huge amount to learn, tactically, positionally and in decision making, but he's 19 and he has plenty of time to learn those things. I love watching him run at people and once he becomes adept at knowing when to do that and when to run off the ball and when to hold, he'll be excellent. This boy needs intensive coaching, because he already has the stuff that you can't coach in.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He passed it 4 times against norwich.

Your last paragraph agrees with me. He doesn't necessarily need to be un-selfish. It's an asset when he plays like he did yesterday. You've agreed with me.

And crossed it 4 times. Unless you're going to claim crossing is now one of your selfish in a football term acts?

I'm happy with how he's played. That's not agreeing that he's selfish. He's trying to make things happen for the team. That's unselfish. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

And crossed it 4 times. Unless you're going to claim crossing is now one of your selfish in a football term acts?

I'm happy with how he's played. That's not agreeing that he's selfish. He's trying to make things happen for the team. That's unselfish. 

Now you're moving the goalposts. I didn't say anything about his overall play against Norwich. YOU said he passed it with the majority of his touches. Which isn't true.

You agreed that he doesn't need to pass the ball loads given his role. I.e. he can afford to be selfish. That's the point I was making all along. 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Detriment to the team? Have you watched guzan? Lescott? Richards? Westwood? Sinclair? Richardson? Gestede? Gabby? I could go on. Adama is one of the last blokes I'm worried about being detrimental to the team. 

Yes, I don't think it was a coincidence that we lost our shape after he came on and Defoe and Van Aanholt started to find more space in the left hand channel. All I'm saying is I think we're past the point of trying to mitigate these issues and just take the risk. I'm not knocking him as a player. Those other players (Richards aside) make individual errors, but don't compromise our defensive shape which is more serious imo.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Now you're moving the goalposts. I didn't say anything about his overall play against Norwich. YOU said he passed it with the majority of his touches. Which isn't true.

You agreed that he doesn't need to pass the ball loads given his role. I.e. he can afford to be selfish. That's the point I was making all along. 

A cross isn't an attempted pass? No I guess the aim of a cross isn't to get the ball to your team mate. Weak if that's going to be your argument. 

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yes, I don't think it was a coincidence that we lost our shape after he came on and Defoe and Van Aanholt started to find more space in the left hand channel. All I'm saying is I think we're past the point of trying to mitigate these issues and just take the risk. I'm not knocking him as a player. Those other players (Richards aside) make individual errors, but don't compromise our defensive shape which is more serious imo.

Yet we lose when all these other players are playing.

Two great crosses yesterday, the goal and the one where he put a very dangerous ball across the box that was prime for a tap in. I don't really get why some are focusing on the half of his crosses that were bad when the other half were very good. 

I don't really expect a young winger to be on the money virtually every cross he puts into the box. He's doing just fine. Had one assist yesterday and should have had another if it weren't for our brain dead forwards. 

Where he does need to sharpen up is passing the ball sooner when he is holding the ball deep, but that's something that will come with training and ultimately more game time, he needs to start whenever fit.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He really needs to improve his off the ball movement. At least 3 times yesterday players were looking for him to make a run behind the defenders and he didn't move. Given his pace, if he makes that run 90% of the time he's going to get the ball

Selfish? You see the 1-2 attempt which that clown Bacuna failed to read? 

The Anti-Adama's were proved wrong a long, long time ago.

I assume this 'selfish' comment was aimed towards me, as you quoted me in your post? I haven't called Adama selfish, so once again, you fellas are seeing what you want to see, just to have a dig at people who don't completely agree with your point of view.

And 'Anti-Adama's'... I'm pretty sure the labelling of groups of VTers is against the rules of the site.

I wonder if his issue is a language one?

Ridiculous run for the goal yesterday, completely unstoppable. The boy is a one man wrecking ball and we need to find a way to get him on the pitch more.

But we conceed too many goals right now when he is. It has gone beyond the point of coincidence. He's both completely unplayable and a complete liability.

What to do with Adama...

If he's here next season we should build the side around him, frankly. One hell of a gamble I know but he would piss all over the championship.

Maybe he should be going on loan?

Â