Adama Traore

mwj

For the goal, he won the ball by helping Bacuna pressure their player. 

I don't think he does it all the time but he also doesn't just stand there not helping out. 

For him to develop he needs game time, that's going to help him progress more than anything. If we're relying on him to be key next year then he should be a regular starter from now on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That run was phenominal against Sunderland - the boy clearly offers something we simply don't have elsewhere and should be playing a lot more than he is.

However, the concerns over his defensive attitude are completely warranted.  He doesn't do anything at all to track back or help out.  Right now, this isn't a huge issue as our defence are terrible enough, but it could be a big problem long term.  When Adama doesn't have the ball, he just isn't interested.

Also, I want him to stop pausing with the ball.  He's a little bit of a one-trick pony at the moment so he should just continue to use that.  There were a couple of times against Sunderland where we counter attacked, got the ball to Adama but then our attack strangely slowed up as he paused before taking on his man/men.

Hopefully he's not injured as per his substitution, though.  Is he injured?

He said on facebook his injury wasn't serious.

I agree about the rest. The thing I'd like to see him doing more of is making intelligent runs. He almost always comes short for the ball and then wants to run it past people himself. That's great when it works, but when teams get wise to this we've seen against several teams that they just close him down early and he doesn't have room to get going.

If he used his pace to make a run and run onto a ball he'd have space and momentum when he receives it and be basically unstoppable. Or when he does come short, drop it off to somebody and then run beyond the players who have closed him down. He has the pace to beat anyone in a foot race.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Has anyone else watched Saturday's goal about 500 times? Clinging onto any joy this season.

It was a cracking goal in fairness

though sums up our striker problem, we have scored some cracking goals this season ( few from Gil and Ayew, Jack, Gestede vs Liverpool) but we dont have a player that can do anything in the box

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Has anyone else watched Saturday's goal about 500 times? Clinging onto any joy this season.

I haven't seen it once. I slammed my laptop shut at 1-0 in the knowledge that we would go on to lose and I was right. I couldn't give a **** how good the goal was. Same as Gil at Leicester, that one I did see but I certainly don't want to see it again. It doesn't count when you lose and certainly not when you're rock bottom and going down.

Edited by One For The Road

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was a cracking goal in fairness

though sums up our striker problem, we have scored some cracking goals this season ( few from Gil and Ayew, Jack, Gestede vs Liverpool) but we dont have a player that can do anything in the box

Part of that is we don't put anyone else in the box. Countless times Gestede was in there all alone against Sunderland. The one time Gil took a punt we scored, might be on to something there.

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

For the goal, he won the ball by helping Bacuna pressure their player. 

I don't think he does it all the time but he also doesn't just stand there not helping out. 

For him to develop he needs game time, that's going to help him progress more than anything. If we're relying on him to be key next year then he should be a regular starter from now on. 

I think he seems to be getting better at tracking back. The first few times he played he always just seemed to stand on the right touch line waiting for the ball. Now he's starting to do some work to help get it back.

If he can continue to get better at that side of his game and his overall movement then I think we will have a great player on our hands

Agreed that he needs to start making more runs and utilise his pace off the ball.

I can see why he slows down play before setting off again though. He knows that at top speed, he's quicker than almost anyone, but the difference between him and some of the quick PL full backs won't be as drastic as we think (as shown by all the 'fastest clocked Premier league player' stats where someone like Hutton is on top 10). Where he is so much faster than anyone else is in acceleration, being small and powerful, he gets to 90% of top speed so much quicker than anyone I've seen, so slowing the ball down and then shooting away is a guarantee to beat his man. The only way to stop him is to just guess where he's going to go and start attacking the ball before he moves it. It's the same way Messi plays, Messi's top speed really isn't ridiculous, it's his 5-10 yard bursts where he beats everyone. It's such an asset, I just hope he can learn to get the ball under more control in tight areas, where that acceleration, and strength (which Messi doesn't have in comparison) will count double, and then he'll be unplayable for half a season until Barca buy him back.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2016 at 07:27, Stevo985 said:

He said on facebook his injury wasn't serious.

I agree about the rest. The thing I'd like to see him doing more of is making intelligent runs. He almost always comes short for the ball and then wants to run it past people himself. That's great when it works, but when teams get wise to this we've seen against several teams that they just close him down early and he doesn't have room to get going.

If he used his pace to make a run and run onto a ball he'd have space and momentum when he receives it and be basically unstoppable. Or when he does come short, drop it off to somebody and then run beyond the players who have closed him down. He has the pace to beat anyone in a foot race.

Good point about more forward runs. I was thinking the same myself while watching the game.

50 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Sounds like he'll be fit for the weekend. Start him vs Wycombe let him damage them then bring off when the game is won. We'll need him vs Palace.

My only reservation to that is last time he played against a lower league team, whilst he did tear them apart, they also kicked seven shades of shit out of him which gave him his injury.

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My only reservation to that is last time he played against a lower league team, whilst he did tear them apart, they also kicked seven shades of shit out of him which gave him his injury.

Will be a good learning experience for him for next season should he decide to stick around once we get relegated

Still, lots of flash and excitement but he tends to lose the ball in a blazing burst of speed.  Yes, he got to the end line and put in several crosses.... they were all woefully overhit.  Even the goal was hit past the far post, over Gestede.  Gill literally chased it down and pulled a moment of brilliance or it would have dribbled over the touchline for a defensive throw in, like all the others.

Still, he is exciting.  I would start him as a forward pairing and let him run straight at the goal than straight to the end line for a poor cross.

(Then I would rant and scream at him after every match for not putting in the defensive work.)  :angry:

Â