Adama Traore

mwj

Got to remember the Premier League clubs will have £120 million to play with from next season, a massive increase in TV revenue. Teams will no doubt be in for our better players. I can't see him staying but I do think we'll comfortably recoup the fee. 

2 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Got to remember the Premier League clubs will have £120 million to play with from next season, a massive increase in TV revenue. Teams will no doubt be in for our better players. I can't see him staying but I do think we'll comfortably recoup the fee. 

He'll have to have a much better second half to the season for anybody to want to spend the kind of money it would take for us to sell him unless we really are desperate to get him off the wage bill, which I don't think we will be.

I think he's done enough to show other teams he's something special. They'll all have money to burn next season. Already this season £10 million was being paid for any old player by little clubs, this bubble will only get bigger in the summer.

Have to remember he's just 19 and he's already doing stuff like we're seeing now. 

3 hours ago, supernova26 said:

we have better players?

Like I said before, I think we'll be smart enough to realise that if Adama has a good season next season and possible the one after that he'll be worth far more than just recouping the money we paid.

Unless he kicks up a fuss about leaving I can see us hanging on to him.

5 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

I personally cannot see Lerner sanctioning his wages next season if there is an option to offload.

Hope I'm wrong.

He will if somebody tells him that if we sell him in the summer we'll only get 5 million for him, but if he spends a season making Championship defenders shit themselves we'll be making a healthy profit next summer.

There will be a relegation clause in his contract (and all the other players and staff). Whereby if we go down his wages will be reduced. Another reason why we might lose him, should other clubs show an interest.

I really don't see any reason not to play him for the rest of the season, let's face it we are already down.

Say he actually turns out to be quite good. We then get a few highlight moments in an otherwise dismal season. It will also almost certainly increase the amount of money we get for him if he leaves in the summer. And if he doesn't leave he'll have gotten half a season to get used to English football and develop some of the qualities he does lack.

Obviously there is a chance he'll be a disappointment like so many of our players, but I'd rather give him a go than watch the likes of Sinclair, Richardson or Gabby try and fail every week.

As for Adama not being able to track back or defend. He does know how to do it as he's been schooled in the Barcelona "La Masia" academy with their high pressing, win back the ball early tactic. Therefore it must be in his dna, it's just about application. And that's where Garde and the coaches along with Adama must make it happen.

If they do, I still think we have a player on our hands. Obviously if only 1 player uses the high press it's just a waste of energy... 

That run was phenominal against Sunderland - the boy clearly offers something we simply don't have elsewhere and should be playing a lot more than he is.

However, the concerns over his defensive attitude are completely warranted.  He doesn't do anything at all to track back or help out.  Right now, this isn't a huge issue as our defence are terrible enough, but it could be a big problem long term.  When Adama doesn't have the ball, he just isn't interested.

Also, I want him to stop pausing with the ball.  He's a little bit of a one-trick pony at the moment so he should just continue to use that.  There were a couple of times against Sunderland where we counter attacked, got the ball to Adama but then our attack strangely slowed up as he paused before taking on his man/men.

Hopefully he's not injured as per his substitution, though.  Is he injured?

Â