Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

He's a good footballer, absolutely no doubting that but what's his position, where does he fit?!

He's not a striker, he really should have buried that one-on-one.

I agree we need to shoehorn him into the team though somehow, definitely has the ability to beat players.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He's a good footballer, absolutely no doubting that but what's his position, where does he fit?!

He's not a striker, he really should have buried that one-on-one.

I agree we need to shoehorn him into the team though somehow, definitely has the ability to beat players.

He's a winger/wide forward? That's where he has played his best football for us. When he has the space to run at and beyond people, and/or cut inside, he's devastating. He's not a liability defensively either which helps. 

Funny game Saturday. He was absolutely everywhere and caused them no end of problems, almost everything good we did went through him, but his end product did let him down. You'd have thought he'd just pass the **** ball this time!

3 assists and 2 goals mind, not a bad start to the season. All of them game changing in some way too. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's got a lot of talent and he'll cause endless problems. But he's never a natural goal scorer. 

Sadly this is the case, but I would like see him when the team is settled, we have obvious goal scorers, and when he doesn't feel he needs to do everything by himself. In fairness since he's been here he has been the bright spark in a squad of below average team mates until now.

Every good team needs someone to score goals from the wings/midfield. We haven't had that for so long now. If we can get the strikers to be the main goal getters and Ayew and Adomah can chip in with 8-10 each then I'll be more than happy with that. 

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Has to start on Sunday...I remember the cup tie last year when he was still an unknown for us and he ran rings around SHA in the second half.

They've still got basically the same team so would probably keep the same front three as Gestede likes playing against them aswell.

does Paul Robinson still play for them, be hilarious if he made a fool of him all game

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Number ten role for me. In behind Kodjia. Has everything to play that role and the brains to drop deep when Villa need an extra body in midfield. Being the provider it would teach him to look for a pass rather than thinking he has to do everything himself.  

• Like 2

I know I'm banging this drum a bit now but I really don't understand the obsession with wanting to move players out of position when they're performing well. It happens almost every time. Watch, as soon as Amavi pops one onto Kodjia's head the thread will be flooded with people suggesting he should move to the wing.

In any event, have a think about Jordan Ayew's attributes. What is he good at? Dribbling, running rather fast, cutting inside and, when he fancies it, crossing. What is he not as good at? Mostly shooting and I don't think I've ever seen him play a through ball?

Why based on that short summary alone would we move him into the middle? I have a suspicion that people want him to be a different player than he actually is, because we want all of our heroes to be goalscorers, perhaps? I also think people convinced themselves when we signed him that he was a striker and haven't been able to let go of that idea. 

We've got plenty of forward options, in my opinion we don't need to crowbar a winger into a central position. If we want to utilise a number 10, we have an actual one in McCormack. 

48 minutes ago, striker said:

Being the provider it would teach him to look for a pass rather than thinking he has to do everything himself.  

Thus focusing all of the attention on the one thing he's worst at, being altruistic. Don't get me wrong, he could do a job there, but I reckon he'd be booed off again within a month. Just as he was vs Bristol City. 

• Like 4

On 24/10/2016 at 20:30, DCJonah said:

He's got a lot of talent and he'll cause endless problems. But he's never a natural goal scorer. 

I like him, but does tend to over elaborate, which is not a good trait for a goalscorer.

more of a inside forward for me.

Â