Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

Spurs can't make their position any more clear, they haven't even given Adebayor a squad number this season  (Twitter) so he isn't getting a game for them even if he stays.  

Just reading up on Adebayor's personal life and it seems he is married with one kid who would have started school last year so he might consider himself part of a settled family unit and not want to uproot that which is fair enough as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think we should be bending over backwards to accommodate his work/life balance.  If he stays in London and plays for a London based club then he can probably kiss his daughter in the morning before she goes to school and be there when she gets back most days when you consider the hours that footballers tend to work on non match days. He won't be able to do that at the Villa, having digs in Birmingham might not suit him and I guess the club don't want him to commute that far. I can't see why, you don't want a guy turning up knackered every day.

This is fair enough. Actually makes him look human.

• Like 1

I thought this might be the case too particularly given his own family is by sh1t crazy he probably want as much stability as possible. Also why he may have started by angling for a guarantee of a deal. You'd uproot your family for 5 years but 12 months? It's not like he needs the money

• Like 1

Of course for just 12 months (its actually nearer 9), there is no real need to uproot the family. He could quite easily leave them where they are and live up here alone for 3-4 nights a week, travelling home on days off.

Since the signing of Gestede, my own feelings are that this is no longer an essential signing, even if 4-4-2 is Sherwoods preferred line up. I'd much rather play Awye or Sinclair up top with Gestede than "borrow" someone for a year on expensive wages. I appreciate having Adebayor would be great insurance for 12 months should either Awye or Gestede take time to settle or not work out but that is a luxury would take a place off someone who is here for the long term.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I can never recall great strikers having the same impact when over 30 and moving for the last time, as would be the case with Adebayor.

Of course for just 12 months (its actually nearer 9), there is no real need to uproot the family. He could quite easily leave them where they are and live up here alone for 3-4 nights a week, travelling home on days off.

You say that as if for some people that is not an issue. A big life changing decision.

I don't have kids so I wouldn't *really* know, but I can't imagine it's as easy as that to just uproot yourself and leave your young family for 4 nights a week minimum. That is IF the reports are true.

You say that as if for some people that is not an issue. A big life changing decision.

I don't have kids so I wouldn't *really* know, but I can't imagine it's as easy as that to just uproot yourself and leave your young family for 4 nights a week minimum. That is IF the reports are true.

No-I say it because that's the nature of the beast for professional footballers, who change clubs on average every 3 years.

Many people have to work away from home in all walks of life.

its not a life changing decision because all it means is stopping away from home a few nights each week. What do you think happens when teams play in Europe in midweek and away at the weekend? The players are probably away from home for more nights than Adebayor would have to be.

For 100k a week, I'm sure my Mrs would understand.

Would your Mrs understand if you were already being payed 100k a week, but wanted to be paid the same amount but work for a different company where you'd be more involved and be away 1/2 the time?

• Like 1

For 100k a week, I'm sure my Mrs would understand.

Would your Mrs understand if you were already being payed 100k a week, but wanted to be paid the same amount but work for a different company where you'd be more involved and be away 1/2 the time?

You would have to be a pretty selfish person to deprive someone of a final opportunity to do what they love. Unless your Mrs Unsworth of course.

Personally, if there is any truth in these suggestions, I would draw a line under it and walk away. Anyone who needs to think twice about it clearly hasn't the desire that you would require a player to have.

No, Pires was chauffeur driven 250 miles every day. No helicopters for him, he was keeping it real.

"Adebayor, who loves nothing more than to wind up staff at Tottenham by reporting for training in a chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupe, told Levy he doesn’t want to leave and be involved in a relegation battle."

Adebayor is already comfortable being driven in so whats the issue ..[emoji14]

Since the signing of Gestede, my own feelings are that this is no longer an essential signing, even if 4-4-2 is Sherwoods preferred line up. I'd much rather play Awye or Sinclair up top with Gestede than "borrow" someone for a year on expensive wages. I appreciate having Adebayor would be great insurance for 12 months should either Awye or Gestede take time to settle or not work out but that is a luxury would take a place off someone who is here for the long term.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I can never recall great strikers having the same impact when over 30 and moving for the last time, as would be the case with Adebayor.

Robbie Keane did well when we had him on loan...

No-I say it because that's the nature of the beast for professional footballers, who change clubs on average every 3 years.

its not a life changing decision because all it means is stopping away from home a few nights each week. What do you think happens when teams play in Europe in midweek and away at the weekend? The players are probably away from home for more nights than Adebayor would have to be.

Maybe he's at a stage where he didn't want to do that unless he has to. We're not in Europe so the point is mostly moot.

I'm not about to deride a man for wanting to be with his family.

Short career though isn't it, he hasn't got long left and I am not sure I would want to throw away a season at his age...

Probably not. 

But all of this is supposition isn't it. We don't really know the craic, I just find it a bit odd when people wheel out the vitriol without access to any of the facts. He might end up being our player, so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt like we might one of our own?

• Like 1

Maybe he's at a stage where he didn't want to do that unless he has to. We're not in Europe so the point is mostly moot.

I'm not about to deride a man for wanting to be with his family.

I'm not deciding on him "as a man". I'm deciding on him as a player/potential player for Aston Villa. Quite honestly, I don't give a flying one about what he is like as a man, as I've previously stated in this thread. All I care about is what he can bring to AVFC,

If he doesn't want to come because we are not in Europe or because we won't let him travel home every night, then we're obviously not the club for him and vice versa