Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

I wouldn't be against this on the condition that we also sign a younger striker with potential to be a long term replacement for Benteke.

As others have identified, we can't sign an entire team of young players who are new to the country, it would be a recipe for disaster. 

if he could keep his head in the game then maybe, but he spent most of last few seasons either not playing or on compassionate leave.

I believe Sherwood could get him performing again, but I would be surprised if even Tim could get more than 10-15 games out of him a season.

I hope to be proven wrong though.

Edited by VillanousOne

This is the exact type of signing that has caused us all the problems we have had over the past 3 years. High waged has beens with no sell on value looking a last big pay day. Doesnt matterwhat he may turn out like, its the philosophy we have been getting away from.

Yeah a loan deal is a no brainer really.

Anything more than that would just be horrible. We'd get 3 good months out of him and then he will create his own bomb squad for the remainder of his contract. 

i don't think Spurs are paying 100K though - more like 60K or 70K with Plastic City paying the rest.

So to sign him on loan it might end up being three clubs paying his extortionate wages for the final year of his contract.

If he waved some of his pay to show he wanted to join Villa and we signed him on a short term perm deal, then absolutely. But I doubt that.

Why would city be paying any of his wages?

It's a fairly common thing that goes on with players on big contracts. He's on say 170k a week 5 year deal, city want to sell so offer to pay %%% of wages for a certain amount of time. It's that or he rejects move down to money so clubs stuck with him.

• Like 1

Well what other really serious options do we have? We will be in desperate need for a striker to replace Benteke, cant rely on Kozak or Gabby to bang in 20+ goals!

I would take him on a loan or a short term contract. Bring him in and someone lesser known but with potential and it could work.

We know he can score goals in the premier league when he is on his A game. We could sign some wonder kid who scored 40 goals in a European league but come here and struggle in his 1st season, we need an experienced head.

As others have said, a loan deal for the season - yes. It's a good idea and a great chance for him to prove himself, plus we get a [former] world class striker (totally forgot he was Togolese like the mighty Salifou) with little/no risk.

If it's £4m as rumoured, that's just too much for a 31 year old who's been inconsistent of late. It sounds like when your dad as a go at football manager for the first time and buys any player he knows.

I believe City were contributing until this summer at which point his wages drop to 100k paid by Spurs.

The poor sod, let's have a whip round.  :)

I think the smartest thing to do would be take him on a years loan with subsidised wages from spurs. If he does well we can them give him a 2 year contract next summer when he becomes a free agent.

The beauty of it is he will be 32 next summer so the bigger clubs wont come in for him. Think Aston Villa is about the best he can hope for this stage in his career in a competitive league. He could go to USA / China etc for big money but he could still do that aged 34/35. So will probably want to play at the best level in his last few years of what should be his peak. 

If we can get the best out of him he can certainly fill the void Benteke leaves, I have no doubt of that.

I always think those calling the Club 'lazy' (lol, really ?), are guilty of lazy criticism.

You can think he's a good idea or a bad idea, but to suggest a Club, any Club at any level of football, buys a player through laziness.........well.....

This is the exact type of signing that has caused us all the problems we have had over the past 3 years. High waged has beens with no sell on value looking a last big pay day. Doesnt matterwhat he may turn out like, its the philosophy we have been getting away from.

Doesn't matter what he turns out like ?

I can't get my head around that as a guiding principle at all.

Surely if you could see the future and it was him scoring 15 goals a season for 2\3 years you'd take him ?

Surely what they turn out like is exactly what matters, not how old they are or how much they are?