Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

I actually quite want us to sign him now - something feels right about the transfer to me.

I'm liking it to. Think he needs to feel important, and he has undoubtable talent. As always though certain question marks are raised because of his normal wage demands, and if we fork out that money then you need a certain level of guarantee he will succeed.

I just have a feeling that Timmy and Emmanuel could be the face and heart of our Villa revolution. We have gone the boring route to long now. I think him and Gabby could make a decent front pairing truth be told. Kozak as Ade's understudy and Robinson (or other new signing as Gabby's) ade also gives us a solid option of one upfront.

• Like 1

Do we learn nothing, change the name to andrex park

???

Sh**ting, crying or w**king mikeyp, Sh**ting, crying or w**king.....
We are talking about villa and Adebayor not what some fans do in thier own time

Taking away the character he is the age is a big factor here. Frankly I'm worried what contract length we would offer him; even if he takes a reduction in wage he would still be one of the highest earners here I'd imagine and to compensate that he would want a long(er) contract. I think this time next year we will regret this deal and will struggle to offload him. Can't see Spurs letting him leave on loan either.

• Like 1

I actually quite want us to sign him now - something feels right about the transfer to me.

Me too.

We are going to sign someone like him anyway. Someone who is a little too old to have resale value, who is maybe a little past his prime, who has proven he is able to score and is on high wages. Teams won't sell us anything else, or the players don't want to come here in this situation.

If this is the case, someone the manager knows is surely a good alternative.

Well its well known Adebayor gives a lot of his wages to charity which is not a problem to me how much he gets paid

Couldn't care less what he does with the money or any other footballer for that matter. I care about the club and being lumbered with Adebayor on the wage bill which we have spent years trying to reduce only to make the same mistakes again doesn't seem smart to me. History dictates he will start off well but we will soon regret it.

I can see Spurs letting him go out on loan. They don't use him, it will free some wages if not all and surely Adebeyor will want to win his next big contract?

The more I think about it the more I feel like such a deal would suit us perfectly. The manager gets a very talented player whom he clearly himself rates or rated highly, with something to "prove" (earn) whilst we shoulder very little of the responsibility. I wouldn't like us to solely rely on him, if another longer term option is bought in alongside him then it's a bit of a win/win for us. Even if the lad blows up then we have our back up option in place.

I guess it hinges on how talented you think Adebeyor potentially can be and whether you believe Sherwood, Wilkins et al can drag that from him.

I suppose a bigger question is what shape is he likely to be in- mentally and physically. If I understand correctly he was released on compassionate grounds by Spurs before the end of the season and doesn't looks like he's played any football for a while. (Apologies if already mentioned, not read the whole thread).

This guy will either be a hit or do an Anelka on us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11620238/Emmanuel-Adebayor-released-on-compassionate-leave-by-Spurs-following-series-of-worrying-Facebook-posts.html

Carew was a misfit with a questionable attitude too, which is worth remembering.

With a worse scoring record and less technical ability....

It's definitely going to be an interesting signing if we make it, Gabby was superb getting through on Friday but his finishing reminded me he just isn't a footballer and he's lucky to have career at the top.

Ade might be a lazy sod but he loves to impress, loves to score goals and always wants to win fan adulation, with Gil it could be an interesting combination because his passing was very good against Braga..

We're also a club who give our quality players a ludicrous amount of support, even Harewood got it. I really feel with the our backing and Sherwoods attitude Ade can get us 10 goals this year, if Gabby gets 5 at least that's Tekkers scoring record covered.

I've always thought he could be an astute signing if we get him for the right price? CB is rated at 32.5m, to replace him with the same level of quality it will take 20m plus, unfortunately we as a club will not spend that much on a forward. I think Adebayor for a season under Tim is what's needed, he knows the league and could take the pressure.

I really dont want us to be signing him,  but I think we will.  My thoughts against are due to his age,  commitment, cost etc etc etc.  But it is tempered somewhat by the fact I also think we will be signing a more long term prospect alongside Adebayor

• Like 1