Players that you think are rubbish

Zatman

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

It's a good trick, tho'.

Kinda like the Rory Delap long throw trick. Arguably JWP is better though as he scores direct goals and I'd say has a better conversion rate. 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Kinda like the Rory Delap long throw trick. Arguably JWP is better though as he scores direct goals and I'd say has a better conversion rate. 

Well let me put it this way, using the stats he posted for Soton, if he played for us for the last 2 years he would have been our second highest goalscorer behind Ollie in both seasons. 

The year before he would have been the third highest. 

The one before that he would have been 6th, but 1 goal off 3rd. 

In the championship promotion year he would have been 4th, and Tammy scored 26 in that season. 

Like I said- good trick.  

• Like 1

Wilfred Ndidi. I think he had one good season there, 2 max, but it was laughable that people were calling him the next Kante. Everytime I have seen Leicester in the past, Mendy was always better when he had a chance but he barely got a sniff in that role bar the odd substitute appearance over the last few years. I think they had to give him a new deal at one point as ndidi was out for so long and they didnt wanna spend money on a new player

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Wilfred Ndidi. I think he had one good season there, 2 max, but it was laughable that people were calling him the next Kante. Everytime I have seen Leicester in the past, Mendy was always better when he had a chance but he barely got a sniff in that role bar the odd substitute appearance over the last few years. I think they had to give him a new deal at one point as ndidi was out for so long and they didnt wanna spend money on a new player

He's not looked the same since his injury tbf. He was really good before that.

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

No coincidence though that Southampton have been mainly useless since he moved into centre midfield

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well let me put it this way, using the stats he posted for Soton, if he played for us for the last 2 years he would have been our second highest goalscorer behind Ollie in both seasons. 

The year before he would have been the third highest. 

The one before that he would have been 6th, but 1 goal off 3rd. 

In the championship promotion year he would have been 4th, and Tammy scored 26 in that season. 

Like I said- good trick.  

It is a good trick, but I'd take Kamara and Luiz over him in open play by some margin, so you're squeezing an inferior player in whose goals might win you 5 or 6 games a season, but will put you at a disadvantage in the remaining 30+ games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

It is a good trick, but I'd take Kamara and Luiz over him in open play by some margin, so you're squeezing an inferior player in whose goals might win you 5 or 6 games a season, but will put you at a disadvantage in the remaining 30+ games.

No, you are right, he's not as good as either of those players in open play, certainly, but I'm not gonna say he's rubbish (see thread title), or really over-rated, because at what he does he's good. He'll be (and has been) great at getting mediocre teams to punch above their weight, because those extra 8-10 goals a season, which he gets consistently, will get many a team out of the mire.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think he had more than one good season to be fair 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think he had more than one good season to be fair 

it seems a lot of their team have dropped off, soyuncu was a beast in that first year too, and castagne was a real menace when he first arrived

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

No coincidence though that Southampton have been mainly useless since he moved into centre midfield

I think its far more than that.  Poor team overall. Be interesting to see JWP in a good team. Not just his free kicks. Those corners against forest were sensational

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

No, you are right, he's not as good as either of those players in open play, certainly, but I'm not gonna say he's rubbish (see thread title), or really over-rated, because at what he does he's good. He'll be (and has been) great at getting mediocre teams to punch above their weight, because those extra 8-10 goals a season, which he gets consistently, will get many a team out of the mire.  

He's literally the current leader in a mediocre team who are very much in a mire that he has failed to get them out of. In fact I'd say because of his elevated senior position within that starting line-up, and the importance of the position he takes up when the ball is in play (i.e when his trick is useless), his ineffectiveness in that position is a very big part of why Southampton are in that mire. Hence my posting him in this thread. He is massively over-rated as a footballer. But I agree he is excellent at hitting a stationary football on a static football pitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

it seems a lot of their team have dropped off, soyuncu was a beast in that first year too, and castagne was a real menace when he first arrived

And  Ricardo was one of the best fullbacks in the lesgue before his injury 

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Christian Romero. Looks like the penny is finally dropping for Spurs fans on that one too.

He is good on the ball but defensively frail that needs play in a baxk 3 but not with Dier and Sanchez

His tackling is very rash and stupid but seems an Argentinian thing as Lisandro is very similar at United

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is good on the ball but defensively frail that needs play in a baxk 3 but not with Dier and Sanchez

His tackling is very rash and stupid but seems an Argentinian thing as Lisandro is very similar at United

Lisandro would get sent off 17 times a season if he played for one of the non-top 6. He absolutely kicked the shit out of Leon Bailey in the league game earlier in the season. Bailey should have been sent off in the cup game in return tbf because he had a revenge kick at him then, but the fact Lisandro wasn't sent off in the league game was a complete joke.

He's also terrified of tall players. He'll chicken out of headers and will run into a position where he's not going to be blamed for losing a header to a taller player rather than compete and lose, but at least maybe put them off. Noticed it first in the World Cup, but he does it regularly. Especially evident when he plays with a passive CB like Varane who's used to playing with a more pro-active guy like Ramos (It's a pet hate for me, and I think Konsa is guilty of it semi regularly too). I'll take error prone CBs who make the effort every time over CBs who dodge accountability. 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Christian Romero. Looks like the penny is finally dropping for Spurs fans on that one too.

tbh I thought he was their best player (apart from Kane) on Saturday, though there wasn't much competition admittedly. 

Â