The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Odds below - Although I wouldn't make Keir Starmer favourite - I don't think the bookies understand how labour elects its leaders and unless there is a rule change - anyone with £3 can vote on the next labour leader. Mcdonnell looks a good price @ 20/1 - I think he would come very close should he stand - not that I think he would be any good.  Rayner and Thonberry would be good choices.

Keir Starmer | 7/4

Rebecca Long Bailey | 5/2

Jess Phillips | 7/1

Angela Rayner | 8/1

Yvette Cooper | 8/1

Emily Thornberry | 10/1

John McDonnell | 20/1

Laura Pidcock | 20/1

Clive Lewis | 20/1

David Miliband | 20/1

From that list, I would expect Starmer, Rayner and Long Bailey are favourites, in that order. My impression from a distance is that although Starmer is a more 'moderate' choice, the Remain-supporting base like him because he's been a true believer, and he gets a lot of credit from others for not having been a wrecker. I'm probably wrong though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some baffling odds there; Miliband and Pidcock aren't in Parliament, and McDonnell has ruled himself out saying the next leader should be a woman. 

He's checked into a clinic this morning ! 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

From that list, I would expect Starmer, Rayner and Long Bailey are favourites, in that order. My impression from a distance is that although Starmer is a more 'moderate' choice, the Remain-supporting base like him because he's been a true believer, and he gets a lot of credit from others for not having been a wrecker. I'm probably wrong though. 

Surely  momentum will try and stop Starmer - Hence Corbyn's period of reflection this morning. Right now starmer may win - there won't be a leadership election while that is the case (IMO) 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some baffling odds there; Miliband and Pidcock aren't in Parliament, and McDonnell has ruled himself out saying the next leader should be a woman. 

Thinking like this seems to aptly summarise elements of this Labour party. Yeah, must be a woman, because, well, 'social justice', doesn't matter if the female candidates are garbage. 

Let's just find, somehow, the best candidate for the role, Starmer appears to fit that bill. 

• Like 3

I think they should look towards youth, find someone young and credible to put up as leader, someone who can resonate with the next generation.

Theres actually a fantastic opportunity for labour in 5 years time or so, assuming that Boris continues to be a total scumbag in every single facet of his being.

I’m hoping for Starmer as I think he’d do the best job at holding the government to account and not letting them get away with sound bites and deflection. Something JC never did particularly well as he was partial himself.

That and I wonder how the press could possibly frame him as less ‘ministerial’ than Boris.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The bottom line is that isn't true. 

Disagree, certainly something showing up in my Social media feeds all the time. Next you are going to tell me this place isn’t one of the echo chambers 😂

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t anyone waste their money at the bookies on David Miliband at 20/1

I’ll give you 25/1, much better value

do you have any bridges left in stock you can sell that i can buy with my winnings ?

• Like 1

Â