The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Disagree, certainly something showing up in my Social media feeds all the time. Next you are going to tell me this place isn’t one of the echo chambers 😂

Barely anyone I come across is very left wing at all. Most of my family are right wing. My place of employment is almost exclusively right wing.

The only aspect of nationalisation I’ve heard any of them scoff at was the broadband stuff and generally they seem to support it.

I’ve seen a lot more pushback against nationalisation from the centre (right/left) Lib Dem types.

Corbyn has reportedly said he will stand down in the early part of next year.

Seems very bizarre - its not really long enough to pass the baton to another left winger - can't see what he is hanging about for. 

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seems very bizarre - its not really long enough to pass the baton to another left winger - can't see what he is hanging about for. 

Too attempt to rig the next vote in favour of a continuity candidate. It's going to be Long-Bailey, she has the momentum backing. God help us all because she is seriously thick.

• Like 2

The only possible charitable explanation is that he's planning to step down after we leave the EU, so that the leadership race doesn't become an immediately toxic nonsense with fatuous commitments to second referendums being demanded. 

He should really just step down now, but if he wants to be catcalled and jeered through several intense Parliamentary encounters I guess he can do so. I don't really see what he could do to rig the contest, even if that were the plan. 

45 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Too attempt to rig the next vote in favour of a continuity candidate. It's going to be Long-Bailey, she has the momentum backing. God help us all because she is seriously thick.

Yep that my fear - it goes like this

1.Open the membership for £3 - that will encourage people keen to stitch up labour with a poor leader - and well as momentum supporters

2.Maybe tweak the rules - so nominations don't need 10% of MP'S to be on ballot

3. Encourage everyone to get behind candidate xxxxx

The heart of labours problems IMO stem from the ease with which you can join the party and vote in its leadership elections. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I assume he's just going to absorb a lot of the flak over the next few months and once the Brexit deal is sorted give someone new a blank slate to attack the government

17 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Surprised Hilary Benn isn't on the list

Always seems quite confident when speaking in the HoC and the Brexit Committee

Benn is too centre for the ragtag band of momentum loonies, he's been harassed for the last 4 years because of it. Good shout though.

Edited by magnkarl

They need someone that will win those centre left core voters back, keep lefty middle class voters and tempt some of the more liberal Conservative voters over the Labour. 

Easy job then. 

I think the candidate list is bleak, Starmer is the only credible option. They need someone that oozes aspiration and doesn't talk about the poor as if they are victims and can hold their own in a tense debate. 

I'm not sure Starmer fits the bill. 

Pick a continuity candidate and I'm out. Not sure where, but we can't go through that again. 

20 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Pick a continuity candidate and I'm out. Not sure where, but we can't go through that again. 

This time I held my nose and voted Labour pragmatically. They have a chance to win me back as actually enthusiastically supporting them if there's a competent leader, otherwise I'm sticking to the greens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I remember her doing some of the debates. To say she wasn’t good was an understatement. 

If it turns out to be her the Labour system is ruined and therefore probably the party itself. Real opportunity for either the Greens or Lib Dem’s over the next 5 years to fill that central gap and let labour stay out on the left.

Just now, cyrusr said:

I remember her doing some of the debates. To say she wasn’t good was an understatement. 

If it turns out to be her the Labour system is ruined and therefore probably the party itself. Real opportunity for either the Greens or Lib Dem’s over the next 5 years to fill that central gap and let labour stay out on the left.

I certainly won't be holding my nose and voting Labour again. If the rumours are true and they've decided that this time it has to be a woman that would be annoying because other than Jess Phillips there isn't anyone on the list that particularly inspires. There's certainly no Jacinda Aderns on there, that's for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I certainly won't be holding my nose and voting Labour again. If the rumours are true and they've decided that this time it has to be a woman that would be annoying because other than Jess Phillips there isn't anyone on the list that particularly inspires. There's certainly no Jacinda Aderns on there, that's for sure.

That’s why I’ll probably go back to Greens next time. I felt my MP this time had earned the vote and was pleased to get back in, but he certainly got the vote in spite of Corbyn. Reckon this might be his last time he sits though. He’s 71 and more on the centre so if they stay left then he will almost certainly stick 2 fingers up at the end of this session.

47 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Starmer is the only credible option. They need someone that oozes aspiration and doesn't talk about the poor as if they are victims and can hold their own in a tense debate. 

I'm not sure Starmer fits the bill.

If Sir Keir Starmer QC from a working class background doesn’t ooze aspiration I don’t know who does!

Â