The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Diane Abbott - the gift that keeps on giving. My colleague fell of his chair at the irony in her saying she's offended by online abuse while at the same time saying the n and b word on national TV at a time when kids watch. Your foot goes on the floor Diane, not in your mouth.

Edited by magnkarl

24 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Diane Abbott - the gift that keeps on giving. My colleague fell of his chair at the irony in her saying she's offended by online abuse while at the same time saying the n and b word on national TV at a time when kids watch. Your foot goes on the floor Diane, not in your mouth.

That sounds terrible. Who was she abusing with those words?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm no fan of Abbott, but find nothing wrong with her complaints about online abuse, while using those words (and to be totally honest, even if I did, in the context they were used I'd still say it was acceptable). As a black woman, she has every right to use the N word, and I think anyone who chooses to take offence, or tries to make out that there is some kind of double standard is missing the point.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, totally. The abuse and the threats people get, particularly on the twitters and social medias is gruesome. And it seems like women and black people get it far worse than others.

I'm not disagreeing but is there any evidence of that ?

I'm guessing to an extent that some of them set themselves up for it I.e a Katie Hopkins type  .. doesn't justify or excuse it but I suspect she thrives on it and almost welcomes it 

in the case of Abbott is there a breakdown of the amount of abuse she receives in an ordinary day v the day she makes a racist tweet herself ?  

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I'm not disagreeing but is there any evidence of that ?

I'm guessing to an extent that some of them set themselves up for it I.e a Katie Hopkins type  .. doesn't justify or excuse it but I suspect she thrives on it and almost welcomes it 

in the case of Abbott is there a breakdown of the amount of abuse she receives in an ordinary day v the day she makes a racist tweet herself ?  

There was a breakdown done of the abuse in the run up to the election, and the female and black MPs got loads more (all parties), Black females got the most by an absolute mile. It's not about criticism, it's about death and rape threats, just vile abuse, etc.

And to be honest, Tony, even if/when Abbott (for example) were to say something potentially racist, what excuse is that for anyone to respond in the same or worse fashion? (as you accept). I don't know of anything she said or wrote that was racist in the run up to the election (though she has been awry well before that once or twice, I accept).

Katie Hopkins isn't an MP, she's a person paid to spout bile, and she does get loads back. I have no idea if she "almost welcomes" it, but I know Diane Abbot doesn't, nor Amber Rudd, Thornberry, or the SNP ones who get loads. There's no excuse whatsoever for it. It's awful (and often criminal).

• Like 1

Ah My bad , missed the earlier bit of the thread so hadn't realised it was specific to MP's 

You're correct , i wasn't suggesting abuse deserves to be met with  abuse , I was just wondering if it skewed the amount of abusive  replies someone got as a result .... why does Abbot receive more abuse than chuka Umunna .... is it because she Is a woman or because she is a cockwomble 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ah My bad , missed the earlier bit of the thread so hadn't realised it was specific to MP's 

You're correct , i wasn't suggesting abuse deserves to be met with  abuse , I was just wondering if it skewed the amount of abusive  replies someone got as a result .... why does Abbot receive more abuse than chuka Umunna .... is it because she Is a woman or because she is a cockwomble 

:) . I dunno the answer to that, I could guess though - and that would be because she is Black, female, of a particular appearance, and had a bit of a bad spell of, er, "performing badly". I think that some of the stuff that she read out in parliament was purely about her appearance and race and stuff, Rape threats don't tend to get made to men MPs (afaik).

I imagine people like Farage, Jeremy Hunt also get abuse for what they've said and done in large doses too - I guess all prominent people get abused and that much of it is unwarranted and OTT. Criticism is fine, particularly if they've done something, or said something which will incite or cause anger, and anger in response is also fair enough. It's the threats and just sexist/racist anti-semitic/islampohobic/homophobic..abuse that's utterly sad and seems to go more towards some demographics, by its very nature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

...yeah, this from twitter:

Trolls: Diane Abbott is a n****r

Media: Meh

Diane Abbott: Trolls call me a n****r

Media: OMG I can't believe Diane Abbott used that word.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Did he fall off the chair whilst setting up a presentation on propaganda posters?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It's called 'context' and I don't suppose that many people that let their children watch TV at 7:30am gave two ****.

I'm not a fan, but you're picking the wrong fight here.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It's called 'context' and I don't suppose that many people that let their children watch TV at 7:30am gave two ****.

I'm not a fan, but you're picking the wrong fight here.

I wasn't picking a fight, and I certainly don't condone flaming people on twitter. I just don't see how her repeating the words on national TV at 7.30 am will do anything about making it better. She's got the same horrible media skills that Theresa May does and just doesn't understand in which context to say what.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How dare victims of abuse say the words they're abused with.

Again, not what I was saying. All politicians get flamed every day of the year. Chuka Umunna and Kwasi Kwarteng are amongst the people that receive most racist abuse in this country. I haven't seen them on national TV giving trolls exactly the attention they want.

If anything the police should sort out the people who do these things on social media.

A lot of this is down to the fact that our politics are no longer about discussion and debate but more about people being so entrenched in their party's beliefs that they're willing to go to great lengths to try and silence opponents. The Labour party is a major part of this and has a huge bunch of trolls in momentum themselves who spend all day on social media treating people like crap.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

Should they go " well I was then r-worded multiple times and suffered some s-assaults"  to avoid upsetting the daytime tv sloths watching?

Nah. They should probably just pipe down altogether. After all, talking about it isn't going to "do anything about making it better".

Plus we have that guy's clumsy co-worker, who is too incompetent to even sit on a chair successfully to think about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Again, not what I was saying. All politicians get flamed every day of the year. Chuka Umunna and Kwasi Kwarteng are amongst the people that receive most racist abuse in this country. I haven't seen them on national TV giving trolls exactly the attention they want.

But who are you to say whose approach is right? Chuka Umunna gets racially abused and deals with it one way. Diane Abbott gets racially abused and deals with it in a (slightly) different way. I don't get why you're the arbiter of deciding which one is correct. 

I wouldn't worry too much about kids being exposed to racist language on the morning news. They've got the biggest YouTube 'personality' giving them all the racist guff they could need, and they're actually interested in watching him seemingly, as opposed to Diane Abbott on the boring news show daddy watches.

• Like 1

Â