The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, blandy said:

The Greens are proposing pretty much this today by saying the centre left parties avoid competing against each other in certain seats to defeat the Tories. It makes sense but I don’t see Labour or the Lib Dems being willing to make any formal pact.

I think in the age we live in now though it is certainly much easier to promote tactical voting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think in the age we live in now though it is certainly much easier to promote tactical voting.

I think you are correct but getting people to actually be bothered to vote and get out of bed in some cases needs tactics itself, otherwise it will fail.

I suspect if everyone of age voted the political outlook in the UK would be very different but they don't and won't which is a shame.  On the other hand they are all experts at day time TV so it's not all bad.

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The Greens are proposing pretty much this today by saying the centre left parties avoid competing against each other in certain seats to defeat the Tories. It makes sense but I don’t see Labour or the Lib Dems being willing to make any formal pact.

Do you see Labour a party trying to oust their leader left leaning leader and replace him with (presumably) another Blair to get re-elected as Centre left ?

the old political compass thing , puts Labour more centre right than left and polls apart from the Greens  .. I could see how a Labour voter might switch to UKIP or Lib Dems , but how can a Green voter with any level of intelligence switch their vote to Labour in the name of anyone but Tory ?

main-qimg-f5bdb348f5699cd944d47665a158dd1d-c.jpg

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Do you see Labour a party trying to oust their leader left leaning leader and replace him with (presumably) another Blair to get re-elected as Centre left ?

the old political compass thing , puts Labour more centre right than left and polls apart from the Greens  .. I could see how a Labour voter might switch to UKIP or Lib Dems , but how can a Green voter with any level of intelligence switch their vote to Labour in the name of anyone but Tory ?

Depends how much credibility you give that political compass.

Personally I see a Corbyn led Labour party as being left of centre and a million miles away from UKIP.

That of course isn’t to say that people who have voted Labour in the past haven’t recently voted for UKIP.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Depends how much credibility you give that political compass.

Personally I see a Corbyn led Labour party as being left of centre and a million miles away from UKIP.

That of course isn’t to say that people who have voted Labour in the past haven’t recently voted for UKIP.

true enough  ..I seem to recall when we've done it on VT nearly every one is in that green square area .. even myself although the more left leaning people from here were waaaaaaay way further over to the left of the green chart than me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

what if it meant voting UKIP  , seeing as they came second in many constituencies  ? are you advocating a vote for UKIP in the name of stopping the Tories , cause end of the day Labour / Tory same shit different colour tie  ... but UKIP , heck I'd be applying for a French passport and moving there

The UKIPs and the tories are currently pretty much interchangeable - even the MPs seem to switch between them,to and fro -  so no. But they'll disappear up their own fundaments anyway, the UKIPs. Bunch of absolute clagnuts, the lot of 'em. 

I'm one square in from the bottom and one square in from the left and I consider myself pretty close to the Greens and Corbyn's Labour. I consider Blair style Labour to be more like where plotted on that chart. I can see Green and Labour being pretty easy bedfellows but Lib Dem would be a harder sell.

It should happen though. It's the best chance we've got.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't want 'a united Britain', I don't know what it would look like and I can't see the point of pretending that nearly 70 million people could all have the same interests when they clearly don't. Politics isn't about reaching the one right answer. 

Alienating 48% of it isn't uniting the country anyway.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Gideon has quit as MP for Tatton to focus on his new role as Editor of a national newspaper.

Presumably he'd realised he'll have far more influence from that office than he ever had as Chancellor.

It barely matters in London. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Alienating 48% of it isn't uniting the country anyway.

it wasn't 48% of the country  .. it was 48% of the people that voted   ... in remains case  16,141,241  million   so more like 25% of the country :P

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

it wasn't 48% of the country  .. it was 48% of the people that voted   ... in remains case  16,141,241  million   so more like 25% of the country :P

By your logic then, far fewer than the majority voted for Brexit then right? Less, 'will of the people' and more 'will of some of the people'.

Theresa, call it off. Tony, your staunchest of staunch fans, said so!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

By your logic then, far fewer than the majority voted for Brexit then right? Less, 'will of the people' and more 'will of some of the people'.

Theresa, call it off. Tony, your staunchest of staunch fans, said so!

can you point to a post I've made where I've expressed any support for May ?

bet you can't

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villaglint said:

@tonyh29 This might be a silly question but I've seen you post before that you put yourself in the bottom left of that graph. If that is the case why do you vote for the political party the furthest away from what you believe in? 

I voted Tory once and lib Dem once ... so arguably I'm as much a woolly Lib as a Tory ... tbh despite widely held beliefs that I'm a die hard Tory I'm sorta against all the parties , I just happen to be more against Labour and the Greens policy wise  ... I do hold a view that Thatcher was this countries greatest leader after Churchill though  , which probably explains a lot  :)  ...

I think though to answer your question the questions in the political compass are skewed in such a way that unless you are Genghis Khan you will always fall in the green section ... I was somewhere around Plaid Cyrmu  the fact that some of the other posters who completed it came almost at the bottom left sorta confirms that even in our little green square I'm right of some who are very far left :) 

Edited by tonyh29

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

can you point to a post I've made where I've expressed any support for May ?

bet you can't

Oh Tony. I must have dropped my :) somewhere.

Considering your love for all things tongue-in-cheek, I'm surprised you missed that.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Oh Tony. I must have dropped my :) somewhere.

Considering your love for all things tongue-in-cheek, I'm surprised you missed that.

to quote someone earlier ;)

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Nice try though.

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

This really is compelling evidence. 

Â