The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Labour could still win this, but they won't do what needs to be done. 

Dan Jarvis + some good old political bullshite and this would all turn around. 

55 minutes ago, Xann said:

The local tube station sits on a crossroads.

The local hospital is on one corner, a humongous Sloaney pub on another.

Depending on which corner you stood to poll, you could come up with figures that would suit the case you were trying to make.

I'm not saying all polls are crooked, that would be foll hat sort of stuff, but when you realise (much like the papers) who owns these companies, and how much damage could be caused by just a teensy bit of gerrymandering.

You know who owns YouGov?

Yeah, I understand all that. They charge for their services, and if they keep getting it wrong, then they lose business. And the current situation is all the pollsters are all finding the same thing - very large tory lead. I really hope they are wrong, or that things change, but I don't accept there's any kind of pollster conspiracy to show something different to the actual situation as best as they can.

Even my own anecdotal findings are that while quite a few people I know like Corbyn's policies to an extent, but more that don't. The ones who do are Union reps who like McCluskey (sp?) who is (sadly) our Union leader and a Corbynite. 

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Labour could still win this, but they won't do what needs to be done. 

Dan Jarvis + some good old political bullshite and this would all turn around. 

Too far gone IMO. They'll have to sort themselves out after the massacre. And even then there's a chance they won't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Too far gone IMO. They'll have to sort themselves out after the massacre. And even then there's a chance they won't.

You could be right, but honestly, I do believe if they made the move now and got some good strategists/campaign people in, they could pull it off. 

The last GE, the euro-referendum and the election in America show that people will literally vote for a fact-free pack of lies, if they have belief in the people delivering them and/or the opposition is weak. 

Change the figure head and make some stuff up about getting rid of immigrants and bringing back British jobs for British people etc and they will lap it up. He'd need a couple of quick wins in the press, but it could be done. They just need to come up with a better pack of lies than the Tories. 

It could certainly be enough to stop a massive Tory majority at the least. 

Edited by wazzap24

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, I understand all that. They charge for their services, and if they keep getting it wrong, then they lose business..

Not if it's the result the client is looking for (in fact that might be a better moneyspinner), and as I said it would foolish to diddle everything.

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

You could be right, but honestly, I do believe if they made the move now and got some good strategists/campaign people in, they could pull it off. 

The last GE, the euro-referendum and the election in America show that people will literally vote for a fact-free pack of lies, if they have belief in the people delivering them and/or the opposition is weak. 

Change the figure head and make some stuff up about getting rid of immigrants and bringing back British jobs for British people etc and they will lap it up. He'd need a couple of quick wins in the press, but it could be done. They just need to come up with a better pack of lies than the Tories. 

It could certainly be enough to stop a massive Tory majority at the least. 

That would alienate current Labour supporters though, surely?

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

That would alienate current Labour supporters though, surely?

IMO No. What's left of the staunch labour support would never vote Tory, so yes they might lose some to the Lib-dems, but generally I believe they would retain most of their current support and pick up enough from elsewhere to do the job. 

The only other hope is to convince pretty much 100% of the eligible under 25's to vote and well, good luck with that! 

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Firstly, I don't really believe the polls. 

But Corbyn does seem a bit marmite to people. People who like him seem to identify with his ideology on social justice and pacifism.

Those who don't like him seem to be because of either the apparent links to the IRA which I still can't find any actual details about apart from being an active member of the peace process, his looks, or general I just don't like him. All of which is purely arbitrary and subjective. 

Most of the above is from his portrayal on all forms of media.

Gotcha. The polls aren't true and any negative public view of Corbyn is down to the media, or people basically misunderstanding what he's about. 

If that's a common view within Labour then they are even more screwed than I thought. 

By the way I posted an article about JC and the IRA for you a few pages ago which gave loads of relevant information. Have you tried googling any of that as part of your search? It might help a bit.

• Like 2

I got the letter spam from my incumbent Labour MP today. 

Predictably, but depressingly, more than half of a letter is about how the choice is 'him or a Tory'.  And laying in to the Tory government's hard Brexit, when on each occasion I've written to him about Brexit, he's replied with a stock "will of the British people" response. word removed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I didn't read it that way personally. I don't see how members of the party can be held responsible for the way the party is run, even if they voted for Corbyn. As someone who has always voted Labour I agree with AWOL's damning summary, I said when Corbyn was elected the Labour Party had handed the Tories the next election and everything that I've seen since has confirmed that view.

Are you still voting labour?

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

We're not long off her saying she's going to build a wall, and Brussels will pay for it.

She's going with the moat option. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

We're not long off her saying she's going to build a wall, and Brussels will pay for it.

We're about 5 minutes from her blaming Brussels for her inability to eat a chip like a normal person.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

She's going with the moat option. 

"We are going to have the best drawbridge, a great British drawbridge, a red white and bluebridge no less. And to you the British people I say this....Europe will pay for that drawbridge" 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

"We are going to have the best drawbridge, a great British drawbridge, a red white and bluebridge no less. And to you the British people I say this....Europe will pay for that drawbridge" 

Is it strong and stable?

• Like 3

Â