The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I can't fault the sentiment, and there's a very good chance I will indeed vote Labour (should they come up with a credible candidate here).

But I'd have to pick you up on the worst tories in living memory bit. I remember my town being closed down by the bastards and the police being given a political mandate to disrupt my day to day life, confiscate my shoe laces and give my car a 'spot' MOT every time I drove at night. They closed the docks as a political act, they closed the factories as a political act, they emboldened the police to get in our faces in an attempt to provoke a reaction.

Unfortunately, the state of Labour here, a previously Labour seat, is such that they don't currently have a 'candidate in waiting' and the local Labour Club has re branded itself as a folk music venue.

But genuinely good on you for the sentiment.

Should have said my living memory. I was a tad too young to fully remember what they did in the 80s, although I fully realise it now. We'll see it happen again, if they get back in, I'm sure.

I'm a Labour Party member. I campaign for my party. I don't particularly like my local MP, and I know she has no time for our leader, but I'll campaign for her again, if she's selected. The party is bigger than the petty squabbles. Plus what else am I going to do? Admit defeat, and just make glib comments? **** that! I'm going out to fight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Perhaps Labour might just find a use for Ed's pledges stone.

The only way Jeremy will get votes is if he promises to take one of the pledge stones "Of Hope"  and himself on a deep sea trawler or similar and stream live.  Once he has been securely attached to the stone (With head cam / Stone cam in place and running) and whilst Jeremy is in mid flow someone should just **** the stone of the boat.  Metaphorically this is a dream for BBC News as they won't need to find some old video showing a ship sinking.  The small news slot "Labour's Chance's in 2017 GE Special" can be introduced with a quick reminisce of the old "Stone in the water and the net tangle incident" bit

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Leave the crap jokes to May and the Tory papers lads? 

Sorry but Labour threads seems like the right place for weak jokes... besides people are free to express their views... its not... I'd know... the Labour party ;)

• Like 3

Oddly enough there might be an opportunity for Labour to gain a small amount overall.  With the added complication of the Brexit and the SNP independence a small segment may vote on these subjects only no matter what their core beliefs are.  

If Brexit taught us anything then we know the remainers are poor poor losers for example & Scotland might be getting some intelligence and may start rejecting the Sturgeon plan. From a seemingly unassailable position is Scotland things will hopefully start to crumble around her.  The headline for Sturgeon eventually will be " Where did it all go wrong for Sturgeon,  from Crackerjack to Holyrood to Trainspotting like despair".  Voting with a little sprinkle of hate can throw up odd things I suppose.  Labour can sweep up some of these possibley if Jeremey gets a bit of a grip.  He fluffed his sound bite on the News yesterday ffs.  

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If Brexit taught us anything then we know the remainers are poor poor losers for example

And 'leavers' are poor poor winners. This anti-remainer bullshit is worse than Brexit itself.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Annoyingly, that doesn't include my constituency.

Nor mine. It's because they're utterly safe seats. Who you cote for will have no impact, so it recommends vote for your most favoured party or person, but vote.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but Labour threads seems like the right place for weak jokes... besides people are free to express their views... its not... I'd know... the Labour party ;)

Bravo, sir. 

44 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And 'leavers' are poor poor winners. This anti-remainer bullshit is worse than Brexit itself.

This is true but the winners write history unfortunately.  

They picked the wrong horse and are rightly unhappy about it as it never leaves the news,  unlike a derby game the going into work after losing feeling is permanent for some of them each and every day. They really should let it go or would they rather a deep and permanent recession to teach everyone a lesson maybe ? Blair for one would rather inflict serious suffering on literally anyone to prove himself right for example.  What would the hard core remainers think an appropriate punishment for the leavers or would they all get behind it and move the country forward into what nobody can deny will be an interesting time for all ?

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Well you can make glib jibes about Corbyn constantly and help the Tories stay in power, or leave it to May and the Heil.

It's fine if you want to lower yourself to their level. I suppose it's whether you see yourself as above it or not.

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

Nor mine. It's because they're utterly safe seats. Who you cote for will have no impact, so it recommends vote for your most favoured party or person, but vote.

I used to live in Sutton Coldfield,  I would say that is an utterly safe seat as well.

Just now, darrenm said:

Well you can make glib jibes about Corbyn constantly and help the Tories stay in power, or leave it to May and the Heil.

It's fine if you want to lower yourself to their level. I suppose it's whether you see yourself as above it or not.

I think before taking any stance about a level you ought to read through the Tory thread  

I get you are passionate about the Geography teacher , but this isn't left foot forward it's Villatalk , I think you're gonna have to accept glib comments and humour (subjective)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This is true but the winners write history unfortunately.  

They picked the wrong horse and are rightly unhappy about it as it never leaves the news,  unlike a derby game the going into work after losing feeling is permanent for some of them each and every day. They really should let it go or would they rather a deep and permanent recession to teach everyone a lesson maybe ? Blair for one would rather inflict serious suffering on literally anyone to prove himself right for example.  What would the hard core remainers think an appropriate punishment for the leavers or would they all get behind it and move the country forward into what nobody can deny will be an interesting time for all ?

I'd be with you; I really would. BUT, the divisions post-ref were not caused by remainers.

We got absolutely pounded from the get-go. Told we had to unite, or else. Called traitors, enemies, now saboteurs.

If what leavers truly want is a united Britain, then they need to change their tune. As it stands, I don't think they want a united Britain. If we all stand behind Brexit and it's a complete and utter disaster, who will they blame?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think before taking any stance about a level you ought to read through the Tory thread  

I get you are passionate about the Geography teacher , but this isn't left foot forward it's Villatalk , I think you're gonna have to accept glib comments and humour (subjective)

I accept the point that May gets that treatment in the Tory thread. But you really don't see the difference between the current PM deserving it because she's wrecking the country and literally killing people and a challenger who no-one likes because of this appearance (and, apparently, his subjective performance)

I'm not passionate about Corbyn, I just think sinking to that level is really, really petty. As long as the Tories don't get in, I'm good.

I don't want 'a united Britain', I don't know what it would look like and I can't see the point of pretending that nearly 70 million people could all have the same interests when they clearly don't. Politics isn't about reaching the one right answer. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I accept the point that May gets that treatment in the Tory thread. But you really don't see the difference between the current PM deserving it because she's wrecking the country and literally killing people and a challenger who no-one likes because of this appearance (and, apparently, his subjective performance)

I'm not passionate about Corbyn, I just think sinking to that level is really, really petty. As long as the Tories don't get in, I'm good.

May ... it's pretty much every Tory and their supporters and anyone who ever wore a blue jumper  :)

Good post @TrentVilla it's interesting how many voters will still vote Labour albeit with a heavy heart. I would imagine their are a lot of remainer Tory voters who will do the same. I guess we can start to imagine the conundrum for a lot of Republicans who voted for Trump. 

Interestingly I've heard from a lot of young (early 30s) folk in the last 24hrs who plan to vote for Corbyn because they like him and what he stands for. I'm not suggesting there is a quiet uprising but just that he does resonate with the disenfranchised but perhaps not to the levels of Bernie Sanders. 

Just a note on tactical voting @blandy seems that this will be a very tough year for that game with the kaleidoscope somewhat shaken up after the last election and disgruntled leavers/remainers with MPs who voted/campaigned the other way. 

Eg Where I am Lib Dems have been second for a long long time so they always got my tactical vote. In the last election they came 4th! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blandy said:

If you don't want tories to get in, vote for the person in your area who is most likely to beat the tories. In some places that will be Labour, in others it will be Lib Dem or Green or SNP or Plaid Cyrmru. Vote tactically.

what if it meant voting UKIP  , seeing as they came second in many constituencies  ? are you advocating a vote for UKIP in the name of stopping the Tories , cause end of the day Labour / Tory same shit different colour tie  ... but UKIP , heck I'd be applying for a French passport and moving there

Â