Pre-match thread

roonst83

Just our luck that Everton have decided to pick up a bit of form of late , Saying that we played really well on Sat , so we should be capable of beating Everton

A part of me does see us going into the bottom 3 on Sat , then the pressure is on , just have to hope we can dig out 2 wins from West Ham ( dead man walking ) Southampton ( on the beach)  and an already relegated Burnley

I think the big question is what is Sherwood going to do regarding the goalkeeping situation?

My first instinct was to drop Guzan, not just because of his horrible mistake but also because of how good Given has been when he's had the chance. But then I started thinking that Guzan seems like the type who wants to make up for his mistake and could play a blinder in his next match. I mean he's not a bad keeper, he's just not been his usual self these past few weeks.

Said this in another thread. How good has Given actually been?

If it wasn't for that one save vs Leicester I don't think we'd even be having this discussion. He's not done anything wrong, but it's not like he's kept us in the cup single-handedly is it?

I think the best thing you can say about him is he hasn't made many mistakes. Before the last game I think you could comfortably say the same about Guzan

• Like 4

Yeah he hasn't been exceptional but he's been solid and not made any mistakes. I actually said before the City game that maybe Given should get a chance in that game.

Guzan was very good in the early part of the season but, I don't know, I just think that he's not been his usual, confident self. Maybe I'm wrong and it's more of a feeling than based on any solid facts.

Like I said, I would probably still have Guzan in the starting eleven.

I am a believer in making strong decisions quickly when they need to be made rather than faffing about going back and forth over it in my mind.

I'd have made the decision by Sunday morning to put Given in the team from here until the end of the season. It's not that I don't like or rate Brad, but Given has played well when the chance has presented itself and Guzan, frankly, has not of late. I think it sends out the wrong message to him if he can play as poorly as he has been (IMO) and there are no repercussions.

It's not, for me, about the one mistake. It's a general loss of form that was highlighted by that horrendous error. He will bounce back. I trust the manager to make the correct decision regardless.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Well thats Everton, West Ham and Saints Ive seen described as 'on the beach' in this thread, thats wishful thinking. This will be a tough game, they are bang in form and better than their league position suggests, Europa League distracted them for the first half of the season. Idtake a point here.

Two sides delivering plenty of good football and results lately, bot really wanting the points. Should be an entertaining game for neutrals.

I can't even begin to guess the result, it could go all ways, 0-0, 4-4 or even 4-1. Everton certainly enjoys plain sailing nowadays and should not be taken lightly. Hopefully Tim gets our boys fired up, we should be wanting the points even more than Everton.

Good to have you back AG, i think it will be a tight game, 2-2

Surprised I can still remember my password.

I've noticed we've made a minor formation switch in our recent games, and it appears to be working.

I'll go for an entertaining draw, 2-2 ;)

One mistake and posters want Guzan dropped?? Ya fickle lot ;)

Guzan is a top class keeper who has been very very good, compared to the mistakes of all the out field player's Guzan hasn't made many costly errors. He will learn from the ManC F up to drop him now would imo be a mistake.

Everton wont be easy but I'm expecting a good game which I'm confident of at least getting a point.

• Like 1

Give in the last 4 league games means he'll be less likely to make a rusty mistake in the final

That Guzan error was absolutely horrendous. Hard to forget

Edited by ED

Indeed you don't. But Guzan's problem is that has contributed very little for a long while (other then being 'there' and not being a liability) and as such I'd rather Given comes in now for reasons given in his thread. This idea that Guzan has been performing reasonably well until that game isn't true at all.

It is though.

He hasn't been amazing like he has been in previous seasons. But he certainly hasn't been bad.

And like I said above, that's about as much as you can say about Given too. He's made one excellent save, but apart from that he's just done what's expected of him. Which to be honest hasn't been very much at all.