Pre-match thread

roonst83

Big loss and move on to the next.

Everton are a mediocre side, and we're playing at home and in good form overall....why do you predict a big loss?

Not to mention that all our defeats under Sherwood have been by a single goal margin except for United.

Edited by Isa

Big loss and move on to the next.

Everton are a mediocre side, and we're playing at home and in good form overall....why do you predict a big loss?

Everton aren't mediocre at all imo, or at least not relative to us. We have the worst home record in the league and the overall league form is ok, not that great and we're shipping too many goals.

Last season with Spurs they started this fixture really slow (sound familiar) and Lloris kept them in the game, they then pressed them high up the field forced errors and got a 1-0 result. I presume it will be the same again but I imagine Guzan or Given will be really busy to start with.

season almost over and all our players are almost back.

So with Cissohko and Hutton back.. we can play our 'first choice' from when we won 3 out of 4 of the start of the season.

Hutton--Senderos--Vlaar--Cissohko

--------Sanchez------Cleverley--------

------------------Delph-------------------

------Gabby------------Grealish-------

-----------------Benteke-----------------

Is this our best side? Maybe against weaker sides we can have Sanchez out and Nzogbia in

Hutton--Senderos--Vlaar--Cissohko

---------Delph--------Cleverley--------

-----------------Nzogbia------------------

------Gabby------------Grealish-------

-----------------Benteke-----------------

Defensively we are alot stronger but do we lose a lot in attack? Bacuna keep his spot? Most likely Okore, Richardson and Bacuna will be retained for Everton as the others are not exactly match fit but they are back in time for the CUP FINAL and will be fit by then. Interesting selection dillemas ahead.

Edited by KSV

Cissokho is just as bad as Richardson and he cant cross to save his life so unsure who our best lb is.

You would drop 1 of our inform players in Bacuna for Hutton?

I wouldnt but im not the manager. Cissohko is a much better defender than Richardson. In a game where we may need to defend the flanks i would use Cissohko. Same with Hutton v Bacuna. It would all depend on who we are playing.

I'd love to see us play this for the final few games -

Benteke 

Grealish - Gil

Delph - Sanchez - Cleverley

? - Vlaar - Okore - Bacuna

Given/Guzan

However, we all know that's just not going to happen. A point would be great on Saturday.

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

I think all signs point towards a Villa win here. Everton are poor away from home, have only their pride to play for, and we've been bullying top 6 teams for fun in the past few weeks. We certainly won't be able to keep them from scoring, but I think we'll simply score more.

Thought of the day - If only we could've kept that Bertrand fellow on after last season. What a difference he would've made for us.

Villa 2 - 1 Everton

Bertrand had joined in with the rest of the team in being a bit cack by the end of last season so it's not surprising he wasn't purchased.

Obviously hindsight will tell you that may not have been totally his fault.

I'd like to see us with a solid backline of Hutton, Senderos, Vlaar and Cissokho with a midfield of Westwood, Delph and Cleverley.  Grealish, Sinclair and Benteke in attack and I'd have Given over Goose in goal.  Need to play our most reliable players, can't be giving up easy chances or leaving ourselves too open to the counter attack. 

• Like 1

Bertrand had joined in with the rest of the team in being a bit cack by the end of last season so it's not surprising he wasn't purchased.

Obviously hindsight will tell you that may not have been totally his fault.

He's been voted the best left back in the country by his fellow professionals so he must be doing something right. I'd keep Bacuna over Hutton. Yes he might have his defensive flaws but he has been such a assett at the other end of the pitch, theres no way I would bring Hutton back.

Edited by PaulC

I'd love to see us play this for the final few games -

Benteke

Grealish - Gil

Delph - Sanchez - Cleverley

? - Vlaar - Okore - Bacuna

Given/Guzan

However, we all know that's just not going to happen. A point would be great on Saturday.

Hmmm, Benteke in nets nets with Guzan up front is strange.

Also, a two man defence with Grealish and Gil is asking for trouble.

IMO

• Like 3

Both sides generally 13/8 - 7/4 shots! Value could be with the draw @ 12/5.

• Gabriel Agbonlahor has scored seven goals against Everton, more than he has mustered against any other opponent in the Barclays Premier League.
  • Everton have taken as many points (16) in their last six Premier League games as they did in the previous 19 matches.
  • Agbonlahor made his Premier League debut against Everton back in March 2006 and scored in that game.
  • Aston Villa have won just one of the last 12 Premier League games against Everton (W1 D7 L4) and none of the last eight (D4 L4).
  • This will become the first fixture in English league history to have been played 200 times. Of the 199 so far, Villa have won 72, Everton 74 and there have been 53 draws.
  • Christian Benteke has scored eight goals in his last seven Premier League outings.
  • Roberto Martinez's side have dropped more points from winning positions than any other team in the Premier League this season (19).
  • Aston Villa are averaging a goal every six shots under Tim Sherwood compared to one every 16 under Paul Lambert.
  • The Villans have scored the highest percentage of first half goals in the Premier League this season (69%).
  • The Toffees have conceded the lowest percentage of first half goals in the top flight this season (37%). 

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/aston-villa-v-everton/winner

Edited by Kingman

Not looking forward to this at all to be honest. I think we are good enough to get a result against them, but (and this always seems to be true every season) we're playing them at a dreadful time.

I can see Bacuna and Richardson struggling with Mirallas, Baines and Coleman, while Okore may be vulnerable to Lukaku's mix of speed and power.

I think we are hoping for big favours from Newcastle and Southampton this weekend, although I'm afraid I don't fancy either of them to get the win.

It will come down to the final 3 games, I think the best we can hope for is to still be 3 points ahead going into next week.