Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I just don't see the point in signing Lescott. Just 20-30 games less in Clark's development this season.

Yeah this is the only thing I have against it but it would be competition for places which can only be a good thing

Send baker out on loan for the season, we would have 4 good centre backs

Edited by leighavfc

Berahino would never come here. Hes too good or us currently. Such a sidewards step. + we would never pay the money

Whilst I agree we won't pay the money, I think if we went in for him this window and Spurs didn't he'd join us. I get the impression Berahino isn't enjoying life all that much at the Baggies.

meh i geuss playing under pulis would suck. I just cant see spurs not signing him though. It just kind of destroys future moves for him. If we signed him for 20mil. Then we would probably want 30+ if we sold him in future. And it doesnt really further his career. I guess whatever earns him the most money, apparently hes on 15k at wba

Edited by gharperr

Berahino would never come here. Hes too good or us currently. Such a sidewards step. + we would never pay the money

Whilst I agree we won't pay the money, I think if we went in for him this window and Spurs didn't he'd join us. I get the impression Berahino isn't enjoying life all that much at the Baggies.

I think he would come to us aswell, doesn't seem the loyal type of player who wudnt join his rivals but I don't think we've got a chance tbh. I do think spuds will get him soon though. They got the money and are in London which I feel appeals to berahino

meh i geuss playing under pulis would suck. I just cant see spurs not signing him though. It just kind of destroys future moves for him. If we signed him for 20mil. Then we would probably want 30+ if we sold him in future. And it doesnt really further his career. I guess whatever earns him the most money, apparently hes on 15k at wba

15k? If we offered 30 he'd jump at the chance then. We obviously aren't going to sign him though so...

• Like 1

If Benteke and Delph had stayed, I think this summer signings would have been Richards, Gana, Amavi and one of Ayew/Traore. The replacements for Delph (Vertout) and Benteke (Gestede) are not up to scratch and it shows.

are you expecting Benteke to be directly replaced, because if you are i think that is completely unrealistic.

Benteke is a top class, £30mil striker. Aston Villa have been skirting relegation for 4 seasons. Even if we could afford the massive transfer fee we would have to spend for a direct replacement, we are not going to be able to attract them to the club.

Therefore we have to look to spread the goals around the team, and look at either players with potential, as Benteke was when we got him, or players who have done it but are a bit older and out of favour. I think our business this summer and our interest in certain strikers has shown we are doing exactly this.

also Gana is a replacement for Delph, very similar playing style but i think even in his short Villa career he has shown he is better on the ball than Delph. Veretout is the Cleverly replacement, so all he needs to do is turn up for more than a quarter of the season to be an improvement.

• Like 3

I just don't see the point in signing Lescott. Just 20-30 games less in Clark's development this season. 

Its called having a good squad. There are bound to injuries so having Richards, Lescott, Okore and Clark would be a huge step up on last year. 

Send Baker out on loan to get a run of games. 

• Like 1

Gana is a replacement for Delph, very similar playing style but i think even in his short Villa career he has shown he is better on the ball than Delph. Veretout is the Cleverly replacement, so all he needs to do is turn up for more than a quarter of the season to be an improvement.

Haha. Exactly. And there's the N'Zogbia replacement who, despite only having to be less flexible than a blade of grass to be an improvement, has actually played for Barcelona, There's the Cissokho replacement who will actually be playing for Barcelona in four or five years at this rate, and the Andy Weimann replacement, who only has to score a couple of goals to be an improvement, plus the Ron Vlaar replacement who only has to be fit every other game to be an improvement. Throw in Grealish and Gil and there's reason for hoping.

But I wonder if Gestede is meant to be Benteke's replacement or if Villa are still shopping. Playing Gabby these last two games has looked like a good way of getting the owner to put his hand in his pocket to pay for a striker.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

If Benteke and Delph had stayed, I think this summer signings would have been Richards, Gana, Amavi and one of Ayew/Traore. The replacements for Delph (Vertout) and Benteke (Gestede) are not up to scratch and it shows.

are you expecting Benteke to be directly replaced, because if you are i think that is completely unrealistic.

Benteke is a top class, £30mil striker. Aston Villa have been skirting relegation for 4 seasons. Even if we could afford the massive transfer fee we would have to spend for a direct replacement, we are not going to be able to attract them to the club.

Therefore we have to look to spread the goals around the team, and look at either players with potential, as Benteke was when we got him, or players who have done it but are a bit older and out of favour. I think our business this summer and our interest in certain strikers has shown we are doing exactly this.

also Gana is a replacement for Delph, very similar playing style but i think even in his short Villa career he has shown he is better on the ball than Delph. Veretout is the Cleverly replacement, so all he needs to do is turn up for more than a quarter of the season to be an improvement.

I expect Benteke's position in the team directly replaced, yes. Not his qualities. His position. It is normal to start a game with 11 players and with the formation Villa play, Gestede has taken Benteke's position. And it was Adebayour who was first choice. Gestede has time to show if he is as good as Benteke/Adebayour was under Sherwood.

And Gana was coming anyway. Whether he was anyone's replacement or not Sherwood wanted him in first, regardless of Delph leaving or not.

Gestede and Vertout need time to get fit and used to how Sherwood wants to play.

So saying things such as they're not up to scratch after 2 games (or in Gestede's case, two subsitute appearances) is poor form.

Back on topic. Experienced CB and a striker please. Afobe from Wolves would be a good investment imo.