Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Neville made a good point last night about the lack of an organizor at the back.Richards doesn't do it, we need an experienced, physical CH alongside him.

Clark was doing that last year when playing with Okore. Maybe because richards is the captain he doesn't fell he's supposed to be the one leading the line and tries to take queues from Richards

Neville made a good point last night about the lack of an organizor at the back.Richards doesn't do it, we need an experienced, physical CH alongside him.

Clark was doing that last year when playing with Okore. Maybe because richards is the captain he doesn't fell he's supposed to be the one leading the line and tries to take queues from Richards

Yeah I was thinking the same, Clark was doing a good job of it too. Always talking and getting the backline in good shape, hopefully he starts leading again as Richards pushes up too often to be the one always in position for the other defenders to work off.

There was a huge gap between midfield and attack last night, mostly because of the system and Gabby's hold up play being **** dismal, but it was also due to no midfielder pushing forward to fill that gap and play through balls. The No.10 role has been our weakness for years. Hopefully Grealish can step up. For the time being a second striker who can play around Gestede or at the head of a 'fluid' front three is a must.

Just shows what a strange decision it was not giving Clark the armband. I thought Richards must be more of a natural leader, but maybe not.

It's a brand new defensive unit. This was only the second time they had played together in a competative match, assuming they even played together in preseason. I think they deserve a bit of time. I think Richards did a great job of talking against Bournemouth, wasn't so sure last night but in fairness United didn't put them under the same kind of pressure.

Of all the units, Defence, Midfield and Attack they are the one that is showing the most cohesion. By far in fact.

I actually think we need another option in midfield. A different kind of player, not a number 10 as they should be unshackled in my opinion, I don't want Grealish out Gil having to do Charlie work, but a midfielder who is more adept at moving up into that space between midfield and defence but also holds his position in a defensive capacity.

Not a box to box player as such, but a calmer presence, somebody *like* my impression of Praet. That would be my absolute priority.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Perhaps you're right DDID. I thought we'd be OK in that position now but somehow we seen light at CM and I'm not sure how. We've lost Delph and Cleverley and gained Gana and Veretout - and Gardner back from loan - but somehow I still feel as though we're short. Seems as though Veretout might take a wee bit of bedding in as well. 

I guess it depends how Tim sees us playing this season. If it's 433 then we need another. If it's diamond then we need another as well. My sense is we'll probably end up 4231, with Gana and Westwood/Veretout/Sanchez at the base and three of Sinclair, Grealish, GIl, Ayew, Gabby or Traore playing off the striker. 

For me a striker is still more of a priority but perhaps we're OK at CB after all...

I think I've come round to the Charlie Austin idea.

It would seem that some people think Austin could be off to Bournemouth based on his Tweet. There's a jacket draped over his chair in the background with a Bournemouth badge on it.

https://twitter.com/CPDFootball/status/632202297846722560

CMYIoqrW8AARWyh.jpg

Edited by StanBalaban

I think 4-3-2-1 is going to be his thing.

Disagree. He's already said he sees both Gil and Grealish as 10's. You'd think at least one of them will be starting when fit.

Isn't 4321 like the 'two number 10s' formation he was using for FA Cup semi*, with Grealish and N'Zogbia playing off Benteke. Could be Grealish/Gil/Traore/Sinclair competing for two spots playing off Gestede or Ayew

*http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-sherwood-aston-villa-game-plan-9087586

IMO we need another cm big time. Westwood /Gueye /Vertout /Sanchez competing for three places. Only takes 1 suspension/injury and we have no option on the bench.

You dont need 3 deepish midfielders every game. Theres more tactics where we can push one of them further forward (gil/grealish), or play 4-4-2
But do any of them paired up convince you that they could control a game? Not sure my self but I do see your point.

I would like to see us bring in Praet before someone else gets him. Go on Tim you know you want to!     

Is he needed with Gil and Grealish to come back though?

I'll be honest I don't know much about it but he appears to be an attacking midfielder? Can he play deeper? I think we need someone who is more of a deep lying playmaker.