Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

We need to hurl cash at a good CB. If the rumours of us talking to Manchester United about a player are true, I sincerely hope we aren't looking to them to sort our CB holes.

Their centre backs would walk into our team at the moment. Not that Baker would notice ZZZZZZZZZZZ ;)

True, but I think that says something about the standard of performance we expect from our CBs these days more than the standard of player Manchester United is likely to let us have. We'd probably end up with something better, but good? I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Evans isn't the answer, and who else is going to be coming from them realistically? A loanee maybe?

We need to hurl cash at a good CB. If the rumours of us talking to Manchester United about a player are true, I sincerely hope we aren't looking to them to sort our CB holes.

Their centre backs would walk into our team at the moment. Not that Baker would notice ZZZZZZZZZZZ ;)

True, but I think that says something about the standard of performance we expect from our CBs these days more than the standard of player Manchester United is likely to let us have. We'd probably end up with something better, but good? I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Evans isn't the answer, and who else is going to be coming from them realistically? A loanee maybe?

Wilson? (yes please)

Just to add, the goalposts move yet again with the improved TV deal which kicks in next year. I will be dissatisfied if we do not invest and net spend this window. We've dealt well so far this transfer window, but that need not mean that we should not attempt to further improve the squad. It's better to invest now than next season when prices will be further inflated.

We should have the financial capacity although in terms of fees but I expect we can up our wage bill too with the promise of more money next year.

I think the problem we have at the moment is that we have a large squad already. We need to offload yet more players. We are unlikely to shift Cole or Senderos because of their age. But perhaps we can sell N'Zogbia and Cissoko. I suspect N'Zogbia is being paid a lot too. We may have to accept a nominal fee to get him off the books and free up space in the squad.

The last thing we need is another bomb squad scenario where we make our players unattractive investments and depreciate their value by leaving them out of the squad.

I think we need a top quality centre back a left winger and perhaps a goal keeper.

The only credit I will give Randy is hiring the right people and hopefully staying the hell away from running the club. His heart is in the right place but he's a disaster.

Valdes, Raphael, Carrick, Young, Evans, Smalling, Lindegard, Hernandez, Powell. quite a few players we could have been asking about

Where is christopher samba these days. Richards is not a centre back tim needs to tell him his fortune he cant be our number 1 centre half. I think jonny evans would be good for us infact van dijk and evans would be strong. People dont rate evans but you cannot be a manure player for so many years if you cant play. Reckon 17m would be cost for that pair.

Valdes, Raphael, Carrick, Young, Evans, Smalling, Lindegard, Hernandez, Powell. quite a few players we could have been asking about

My point isn't that there aren't players that we could realistically get from Manchester United that are good - they have players they seem happy to have some conversations about that would to our benefit, as you point out.

My point is simply, looking at the CBs they might let us have, I'm not sure theres anything there that gets us what we need - a good experienced centre half. They have those players, certainly, but we aren't getting them. So you look at whp we might get... It's Evans, who I certainly wouldn't class as the solution to our defensive issues, or a loan of one of their youth players like Blackett. I'm not sure either of those options is what we need.

If we're talking to them about another position, then I'd be a lot happier to see what happens.

If we're talking to them at all...

• Like 3

I suggested Ashley Williams at the start of the thread, and it was thought to be incredibly unrealistic. Despite him signing a new deal recently, I imagine he would be tempted to come here now, following our spending spree (and the fact he's a Villa fan!)

I suggested Ashley Williams at the start of the thread, and it was thought to be incredibly unrealistic. Despite him signing a new deal recently, I imagine he would be tempted to come here now, following our spending spree (and the fact he's a Villa fan!)

Too much money for a player thats on the wrong side of 26. All of our signings at the moment are about value. If we're spending significant money, it's because we think we'll see a return (or less likely, that it represents a good deal in our view). The older players go for will be frees and cheapies.

Good player though.

It is abundantly clear that we are a very good, experienced centre half away from being a very good side. But it's such a crucial position, we could falter badly without one.

I think we need one more than we need Adebayor, let's put it that way. Both would be preferable.