Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Anyone else scared that we won't even be given the money we've recouped to bring in players?

Me, woke up with a sinking feeling about it. Nothing other than gut instinct, hope it's wrong.

Well we go down if that happens, it's on Lerner's head.

He'll sell us for about a tenner at this rate.

Didn't affect Southamptons buys last season. If you buy quality it will be ok

No it didn't but they replaced key players with players of equal quality, I think we might struggle to do that.

I also don't think what we have left is anywhere near as good as what they had left.

They had nothing left upfront with J-Rod injured for the whole season and Lambert and Lallana both leaving, they had to get a whole front three of Pelle, Tadic and Mane. Two of those came from the Dutch league and Mane came from Salzburg.

Even this summer they've replaced Clyne with a Portugese RB and Schnderlien with Jordy Claise, again from the Dutch league.

Definitely. Benteke will be difficult to replace. But every other player who has left is easily replaceable, and with someone better too.

My only concern for this window is that we've had a lot of players going out, we need to get some in this week.

I don't know where people get their positive spin from! I agree the squad needs an overhaul after years of cr*p but the way to do that is not to sell the only players of quality and keep the absolute wastes of space!

End of May you ask most Villa fans who we must try to keep;

Delph (gone) Benteke (going) Cleverley (gone) and probably Grealish (personally think he has a lot to prove)

End of May you ask most Villa fans who we must try to get rid of;

Richardson (still here) N'Zogbia (still here) and also bring back Tonev and Bennett. Big questions over Sanchez, Senderos and Cole too - all still here.

That is not a squad overhaul. That is just eradicating any quality from the squad.

Anyone else scared that we won't even be given the money we've recouped to bring in players?

Me, woke up with a sinking feeling about it. Nothing other than gut instinct, hope it's wrong.

No, I'm absolutely convinced now more than ever that Lerner will back Sherwood's this window, specially after both of them have been dicked around by Delph.

Lerner gets a lot of stick for past mistakes but I don't see him ever taking money out of the club for himself providing the wage bill is under control.

i think the signing of Darder, and a Sanchez with a good pre-season behind him, wii more than compensate for FDs departure.

A good pre season could  well have done Sanchez the world of good. However I don't think he has come back in yet due to being on International duty over the summer. I assume he will return on Monday which means under three weeks till the start of the season.

Midfield for me is the most important area of the team and is an area of the pitch where you do need a player or two who has been around the block a few times. A player who can dictate the pace of a game and has that where with all to influence and get the best out of those around him. In recent times we had that with Petrov and Gareth Barry. At the moment our midfield options are Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye and Gardner. I am not sure complementing those players with a couple of young players who have shone abroad is what we need. For me we need to bring in at least one player in the centre who has experience of playing in this league and has proven he can perform consistently at the top level. That Stan Petrov type player who isn't only capable of influencing a game himself but has that ability to get the best out of those around him.

Edited by markavfc40

dont think spin at all. We lot the player that allegedly makes us "tick". Not that big of a loss. 

We have finished bottom 5 for last 4 seasons. Comes to a stage when you realise our better players arent actually that good

• Like 1

I can understand the Adebayor links but for me he'd have to be 1 of 2 strikers brought in to replace Benteke.

I'd like to see us drop £15-20m down for somebody with more youth on their side.

I suppose one thing now looking more certain is that Guzan will remain our no.1, I don't see there being the time or money to bring another keeper in.

I think we will go down that route of having Adebayor on loan as his wages will basically be what we've freed up by offloading Bent and Weimann. But, I'd want another main striker bought with the Benteke money, if he goes.

So far we haven't spent that much net (or so I've read (haven't worked it out for myself)). The least Randy could do is let us by Amavi, without touching the potential Benteke money. But in reality I'd be surprised if we even spent another £40M this summer.

No, I'm absolutely convinced now more than ever that Lerner will back Sherwood's this window, specially after both of them have been dicked around by Delph.

Lerner gets a lot of stick for past mistakes but I don't see him ever taking money out of the club for himself providing the wage bill is under control.

Hope you are right. 

No it didn't but they replaced key players with players of equal quality, I think we might struggle to do that.

I also don't think what we have left is anywhere near as good as what they had left.

I really don't think so Trent. We have been so bad the last 5 years that anything resembling a good performance is hyped up to the moon. Has Delph really been spectacular? He's scored 3 goals in the last 3 years, for me what Delph does is hustle and bustle, he is a good man to run himself into trouble but his best trait is being able to twist and turn and somehow get himself out of it, the first year under Lambert a lot of people on here were saying he wasn't good at all. I don't think he will be a difficult player to replace. Benteke I think will be very tough to replace and he is without doubt the most complete forward we have had here for years. Sherwood was talking about him leaving months before the end of the season so they have obviously a list of players lined up, I hope SEA is not one of them. If we are given all the money and a little extra to splash on some players I've no doubt we'll have a good season the quality on the continent is there if you are willing to look to find it.

So far we haven't spent that much net (or so I've read (haven't worked it out for myself)). The least Randy could do is let us by Amavi, without touching the potential Benteke money. But in reality I'd be surprised if we even spent another £40M this summer.

We haven't spent anything net. A couple of million in the black after the Delph sale.

They had nothing left upfront with J-Rod injured for the whole season and Lambert and Lallana both leaving, they had to get a whole front three of Pelle, Tadic and Mane. Two of those came from the Dutch league and Mane came from Salzburg.

Even this summer they've replaced Clyne with a Portugese RB and Schnderlien with Jordy Claise, again from the Dutch league.

Yes that is all true.

But last summer they were still in a far better position than we are in now and likewise again this summer.

They are pretty unusual as well in what they achieved last summer.

I really don't think so Trent. We have been so bad the last 5 years that anything resembling a good performance is hyped up to the moon. Has Delph really been spectacular? He's scored 3 goals in the last 3 years, for me what Delph does is hustle and bustle, he is a good man to run himself into trouble but his best trait is being able to twist and turn and somehow get himself out of it, the first year under Lambert a lot of people on here were saying he wasn't good at all. I don't think he will be a difficult player to replace. Benteke I think will be very tough to replace and he is without doubt the most complete forward we have had here for years. Sherwood was talking about him leaving months before the end of the season so they have obviously a list of players lined up, I hope SEA is not one of them. If we are given all the money and a little extra to splash on some players I've no doubt we'll have a good season the quality on the continent is there if you are willing to look to find it.

I've always said Delph was over rated.

I was referring more to the hole Benteke will leave.

We haven't spent anything net. A couple of million in the black after the Delph sale.

What I'd read, I'd read before Delph had been sold. I guess that drives home my point that we should at least be able to spend the £40M from selling Delph and Benteke (if he leaves) and extra if the squad really needs it.

OUT

Benteke

Cissokho

IN

Amavi

Darder

Praet

Holgate

Embolo

Remy (Loan)

Yes please.

EDIT - Also forgot about a wide player. There has to be a decent tricky winger out there that would cost less than Townsend and be equally as effective.

Edited by jacketspuds

Don't think Sherwood will shy away from having young talent brought in to the club. I think he probably thrives at being able to mould them how he wants - he's probably most comfortable with doing just that in fact as it is not too dissimilar to his youth coaching days.

Not to say he doesn't value experience where needed. Think that can be seen by bringing in Richards.

Interesting thing for me now is who me might bring in as a Striker. I won't say as a Benteke replacement because you can't replace a £30m striker straight away and I wouldn't want to place that kind of pressure on someone just joining. Have no idea what kind of player Sherwood wants up front. Just because he's had Adebayor and Benteke firing doesn't mean that's necessarily mean that's the type of player he wants. It's very interesting to me.

• Like 1

What I'd read, I'd read before Delph had been sold. I guess that drives home my point that we should at least be able to spend the £40M from selling Delph and Benteke (if he leaves) and extra if the squad really needs it.
We should really be spending £40m after(if) the Amavi deal is completed but I just cannot see Lerner doing anything like that . Edited by limvillian