Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

The Southampton policy is a dangerous one, it can work a good few times but if go to the well once too often it becomes dry

I don't think it's a policy to sell just the realisation of where you are in the food chain. The aim is to get as high up that chain as you can.

IMO, It will be a miracle if we stay up this season after finding ourselves in our current position. 

It would be a miracle if we stayed up with just a couple more additions yes but I'm pretty confident we will see 5/6 incomings.

Guzan

Bacuna Richards clark .....

Gueye .....

Gil

..... .....

I think that's the formaTion Tim prefers , so we need 5 first teamers by the looks of it ... Mine would be amavi , darder , praet , adebeyor and martial/embolo out of who we have been linked with .

So we may as well forget about the first few matches then, Mantis?

Yes because I totally said that... :rolleyes:

What kind of player is Darder anyway?

What an absolute shambles we are. We basically need half a new team and there's only three weeks before the season starts.

Fortunately the transfer window doesn't close for another 6 weeks...

Well we had 7 points inside that period last year and it would have been 10 if it was this season because of early start. 3 weeks is all we have. Actually 2.5 so they can play in first game

Not saying we can afford to bring in anymore players before the season starts, but quite a few players for most clubs come in between the start of the season and the end of the transfer window.

I understand what you are saying, but we arent in the same position as other clubs. We have a very poor team and need in bolstered with some quality before Bournmout.

Let's not kid ourselves, we've been a one man team since benteke arrived.

We've been harping on about needing a plan B for years. These extra funds give us the perfect opportunity to buy 5/6 first team players and turn us into a more creative outfit.

I'm hopeful that the combination of sherwood and Wilkins and guaranteed playing time is enough to sway potential young players to join us.

People forget just how big a club we are, I'd love us to ram all negativity down the throats of the people that dismiss us as some lower league fodder. Well guess what, even after the horrendous cutbacks were still here, and in pretty healthy shape now.

Hate the fact that Southampton, stoke, Swansea etc think they're better than us because they've had 2/3 good seasons.

I'm optimistic anyway, the players were linked with are encouraging.

Linked with being the operative word. Smoke and mirrors!

Just like the photo of Delph entering the Man City Training complex was smoke and mirrors etc.

We've been harping on about needing a plan B for years. These extra funds give us the perfect opportunity to buy 5/6 first team players and turn us into a more creative outfit.

I'm hopeful that the combination of sherwood and Wilkins and guaranteed playing time is enough to sway potential young players to join us.

People forget just how big a club we are, I'd love us to ram all negativity down the throats of the people that dismiss us as some lower league fodder. Well guess what, even after the horrendous cutbacks were still here, and in pretty healthy shape now.

Hate the fact that Southampton, stoke, Swansea etc think they're better than us because they've had 2/3 good seasons.

Just like the photo of Delph entering the Man City Training complex was smoke and mirrors etc.

I didnt say it was!

I can agree there may be more additions, but it must be typical Villa style as to why we are f****** about. Start of the season is 3 weeks away and we haven't got a squad. 

We need new players to have a preseason!!

This one man team got over 1/4 of its points without Benteke last year it also stayed up the previous year when he was out for half a year. We look a one man team because he carried the burden of scoring our goals and we played to his strengths with £30m we can get 3/4 players to take that on. Also we have lost 2 England internationals in Cleverley and Delph but neither of them create or score goals if we can get midfielders who do that it'll be a massive improvement for us. It's never as bad as we make out. If Lerner doesn't give Sherwood all the incoming money we will struggle if he dies I'm confident we will get some quality players in and do ok.

What an absolute shambles we are. We basically need half a new team and there's only three weeks before the season starts.

Unfortunately, pre-season has already started and the season kicks off in 3 weeks!

What's in a preseason? this summer it is 4 weeks long before first match prep starts, all targets have been fitness training at their current clubs anyway, if they need time to settle with the squad and become familiar with our tactics then sign them and they miss the first month of matches.

Unfortunately, pre-season has already started and the season kicks off in 3 weeks!

Your point? As I've already said, I'm not saying it'll be ok if we get no new additions in the next 3 weeks, just that people need to calm down a bit and remember that the transfer window is open for quite a while yet.

sign them and they miss the first month of matches.

Matches which include Sunderland Bournemouth and Crystal Palace

Considering were probably going to be in a relegation dogfight again i'd like to think we would have the best players we could have bedded in ready to play against teams i would expect us to get maximum points from

We also have Leicester and baggies in the first few weeks of september

Your point? As I've already said, I'm not saying it'll be ok if we get no new additions in the next 3 weeks, just that people need to calm down a bit and remember that the transfer window is open for quite a while yet.

I was just saying. But, if you want a point, Sherwood said soon after the season ended that he wanted to get signings in early so he could have a proper pre-season with them.

sign them and they miss the first month of matches.

Matches which include Sunderland Bournemouth and Crystal Palace

Considering were probably going to be in a relegation dogfight again i'd like to think we would have the best players we could have bedded in ready to play against teams i would expect us to get maximum points from

We also have Leicester and baggies in the first few weeks of september

On the other side of the coin, what better time to play the worst teams in the league than when your squad is at its weakest?

Not to mention that we have beaten teams without Benteke, without Delph and without Vlaar before.

I think the stereotype is right, we really do have the most pessimistic mindset of any group of fans around.

• Like 1

I don't know where people get their positive spin from! I agree the squad needs an overhaul after years of cr*p but the way to do that is not to sell the only players of quality and keep the absolute wastes of space!

End of May you ask most Villa fans who we must try to keep;

Delph (gone) Benteke (going) Cleverley (gone) and probably Grealish (personally think he has a lot to prove)

End of May you ask most Villa fans who we must try to get rid of;

Richardson (still here) N'Zogbia (still here) and also bring back Tonev and Bennett. Big questions over Sanchez, Senderos and Cole too - all still here.

That is not a squad overhaul. That is just eradicating any quality from the squad.

I agree with you but I would dispute everyone who we have kept is an absolute waste of space!  Richards, Clark, Westwood, Gardner, Sinclair, Gil, Grealish etc.

The fact is we have finished no higher than 15th for the last four seasons (since 2011–12) and Delph, Benteke and Vlaar have been instrumental part of those teams.  Now I don’t deny that Benteke is absolute quality and Delph and Cleverley were decent.  But lets look at facts.  Delph made 81 PL appearances in the last 3 seasons scoring 3 goals and making just 5 goal assists; that is one goal every 27 games!  Cleverley made 31 appearances, scoring 3 goals and making 0 assists.  Now this doesn’t tell the whole story, of course, but surely they are not irreplaceable?  We already have a very capable defensive midfield Gueye, Westwood, Sánchez and possibly even Okore; we need more creativity and goals and looking at these stats I don’t think they would come from Delph or Cleverley.

Another point is about balance.  Lets say you are right and we had a team comprised of quality (Delph, Benteke, Cleverley) mixed with absolute wastes of space (as you put it).  Perhaps that has been the problem.  Just maybe we will perform much better with 11 good or decent quality players who work for each other, as opposed to having a few star players mixed with dross?  It is the Benteke argument – what is better for the team, one Benteke or 3 x 10m players?