Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Might be just what we need. Lots of people (not villa fans obviously) saying about how being relegated might help us, as we've been papering over the cracks for ages, sticking with substandard players who just about scrape by every season.

This feels like a relegation, to have had so many players leave in one window. Only we still have PL football, the money and the ability to attract premiership standard players. It's also been the kick up the are Lerner and co needed.

It could all go wrong. But IMO it was all going wrong anyway, at least this is now a chance to get back on track.

Given

Lowton

Vlaar

Cissokho (apparently)

Delph

Cleverley

Weimann

Bent

Benteke (surely)

That's the basis of an alright side. Edited to add: and eight out of the nine have played for their country.

This summer is really make or break for the whole club.

Edited by Enda

Given

Lowton

Vlaar

Cissokho (apparently)

Delph

Cleverley

Weimann

Bent

Benteke (surely)

That's the basis of an alright side. Edited to add: and eight out of the nine have played for their country.

That's a relegation side. 

Given

Lowton

Vlaar

Cissokho (apparently)

Delph

Cleverley

Weimann

Bent

Benteke (surely)

That's a relegation side. 

Agreed on maybe three of them. But Given and Cissokho would walk into sides better than us (Stoke/West Ham/WBA type teams). And Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley, Benteke will all play for sides pushing for Europe.

If Benteke goes as well we really need a lift as fans.  We need to be able to spend Delph and Benteke money (over and above what we have spent on Gueye and potentially Amavi) and go and get some quality, and we need it in a fair number of positions on the pitch

For me these players have flopped too long. Getting in another 5-6 players in may help build a new mentality in the club like sherwood wants as too many losers.

If we get the likes of amavi , praet, townsend and embolo for example then really that is s hell of a lot more quality than what we had prior

• Like 4

For me these players have flopped too long. Getting in another 5-6 players in may help build a new mentality in the club like sherwood wants as too many losers.

If we get the likes of amavi , praet, townsend and embolo for example then really that is s hell of a lot more quality than what we had prior

Completely agree.

• Like 1

When the FA cup final whistle went I said to a mate we need a complete overhaul! Well that's happening without doubt! With delph and Benteke etc we have been poor for a long time now, so I think the only way we can look at this in a positive way is with new we can hope for better! But time is of the essence. We need so much to address many problems we need more quality,as well we want a young side we have to have some leaders and experience! We do have that within the staff so let's hope that mix is the same mix on the field!

Hoping for news on this supposed Darder deal today...along with Amavi. Here's hoping!

That would be great wouldn't it? Let's act fast, let's try and build Sherwoods team.

Say he had a blank slate; would Sherwood have chosen somebody like Delph over say Gueye or this Darder fella? We don't know. We can't know. But what we can be confident of is that whoever comes in now is the managers choice.

Viva la revolution.

I think landing these two highly rated players will give everyone a boost, yes they're untested blah blah blah but im trying to look at the positives.

TS could potentially now start the season with his own midfield...which I think is exciting considering the players linked.

I keep saying to myself that this is the worst team we've had since I became a supporter at the age of 12 (now 34) & everyone is replaceable...obviously Minus Jack but I have to say that lol

Also I'm hoping Sanchez is utilised in his holding role.

Edited by mightysasquatch

If we sign:

Darder

Praet

Amavi

Townsend

Bamford (loan)

we are in a better position than we finished the season. Much stronger first team but having lost our only scorer of the last 3 seasons. We are not going to find another player to deliver it on his own so the money really needs to go across the whole squad.

• Like 1

We'd need more than just Bamford to replace Benteke. I think we should go for someone like Martial or Embolo and in addition, if at all possible try and get someone like Remy or Hernandez in on loan. Hopefully Sherwood's given the money to do right by the squad, I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

I'd like us to try for Remy to replace Benteke, if/when he goes. He's got experience of the league and I think we'll need that with so many new and inexperienced players potentially coming in.

We all need to remind ourselves what Sherwood said last week, that we need to sell to buy further. If true, you could argue that the Delph money goes on Amavi. If nobody wants Benteke, does that mean we have to go with what we've got plus Amavi? Would that be enough? Even if Amavi was already accounted for before Delph left, it would only give us 8m more to spend.

Edited by villarocker

If this happens i will be more than happy to sell Benteke to get them

Darder 7 million
Praet  10 milion
Amavi  10 million
Remy Loan
Embolo/Martial 10-15 million

------------------------------Guzan---------------------------

Richards--------Okore----------------Clark--------Amavi

--------------------Darder---------Gueye-------------------

------------Praet-------------------------Grealish-----------

------------------------------Gil--------------------------------

-----------------------Embolo/Martial------------------------

Remy Gabby Sanchez Bacuna Westwood Gardner Sinclair Baker Kozak as subs/reserves.

Still think we need 1-2 more after that.. but we wont have much funds left.  Maybe another loan in midfield for depth as im not a fan of Westwood/Gardner as back ups for Praet/Grealish. Could always revert to a 442.

Either way we need signings. Wouldnt mind another RB with Richards at CB. Playing 3 centre backs is a waste of an attacking position.

Edited by KSV