Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Puns ahoy if Chery gets signed. 

Chery Drop-ed

Chery Bomb

Chery Pips - x to the ball

Chery blossoms at Villa

Chery stoned (on a night out with our Jack) 

• Like 1

I'm pretty calm about things. It doesn't matter what happens, nothing will change till FFP is removed. We will continue to lose our best players to teams with bigger financial clout.

Yeah! Fantastic move FFP. Something like what Blatter would think up,
I think that was happening even before FFP, the moment Sky came in and created their brand where the powerful clubs need to be kept as a worldwide monopoly and the rest are just their to be lined up and beaten.

I can't believe there isn't yet a euro super-league where Sky, BT et al and all the superpower clubs can just get on with it.

When Sky came in we were one of the richest and most successful clubs in the country. Don't know where it's all gone wrong....

Doug Ellis.

• Like 2

I'm pretty calm about things. It doesn't matter what happens, nothing will change till FFP is removed. We will continue to lose our best players to teams with bigger financial clout.

I think that was happening even before FFP, the moment Sky came in and created their brand where the powerful clubs need to be kept as a worldwide monopoly and the rest are just their to be lined up and beaten.

I can't believe there isn't yet a euro super-league where Sky, BT et al and all the superpower clubs can just get on with it.

When Sky came in we were one of the richest and most successful clubs in the country. Don't know where it's all gone wrong....

When we finished neat the top of the table (92-93, 95-96) the Champions League was still a league for champions so we missed out.

Now it's top 4 and even crazier money

When we finished neat the top of the table (92-93, 95-96) the Champions League was still a league for champions so we missed out.

Now it's top 4 and even crazier money

To think that Utd were pretty much identical to us in terms of stature at that stage is so sad. You wonder were we could be now if we'd stayed the course and won the title in 1993. Doug probably would've been happy to pocket the European money and we'd probably be right where we are now.

Chery is 27, is it fair to say if he was any good he'd already be playing at a higher level?

Could be another Pelle who moved last summer to Southampton (I don't mean same player but moving from Eredivise at a late age and having an impact in the premier league)

Chery is 27, is it fair to say if he was any good he'd already be playing at a higher level?

There's always exceptions.

The only hope a club like us has of being really good is finding them. Because any player who has already made it is out of our reach.

Article on Chery

http://www.benefoot.net/chery-on-top/

On one of the last days of the season, after a laid-back training session, FC Groningen goalkeeper Sergio Padt was flipping through his phone. The team had completed their main objective for the season, having beaten PEC Zwolle in the KNVB Beker to qualify for the Europa League in 2015-16. It was a historic first major trophy for the club beating Ron Jans’ men 2-0, wrestling it from the team who beat Ajax 5-1 in the final the previous year. Yet it turned out there was still another crowning of said season to be taking place and Padt would be the first to find out.

For the first time since 1990, a player of FC Groningen was called up for the Dutch national team. In between, the supremely talented Arjen Robben needed a PSV transfer for it, while Virgil van Dijk (still waiting for his first cap) was accepted as a contender after a few months at Celtic.

Now, after two fantastic campaigns in the green of Groningen, Tjaronn Chery was invited into a team consisting of the likes of Robin van Persie, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Memphis Depay and Stefan de Vrij.

In the end, a cap was a bridge too far for Chery. But to finish a season training with the nation’s top players is a massive step forward considering that just months prior, he was willing to move to Al Ahli to get a bigger pay-check. In less than a year, the 27-year-old has re-ignited his footballing dreams after making peace with the fact that his main target should be ensuring financial stability.

The road to becoming one of Eredivisie’s finest – Chery was one of only five players involved in 20+ Eredivisie goals last season – has not been a straight forward one for him.

An FC Twente youth academy player, Chery was one of the few players training with the reserves despite not having a contract. His lack of physical development was cited as the main reason for a lack of trust from the technical staff.

After loan spells in the second tier at SC Cambuur and RBC Roosendaal. he ended up at FC Emmen and later earned his move to the Eredivisie, rejecting sc Heerenveen and FC Utrecht to sign for ADO Den Haag. The then 23-year-old was a playful winger with a lack of upper body strength and nothing was pointing to any big break. At ADO, the Den Haag-born attacker showed flashes of brilliance playing from the wing. But a lack of physical presence still kept him away from his favourite position, as did his playful nature.

An exciting player from time to time, Chery was still not a mark of efficiency. However, after two good seasons at ADO, FC Groningen decided to take a punt at the left-footed player, now a No.10 more than a winger.

The move caused more disgruntlement than satisfaction among the fans of the club. After all, the signing, who was obtained via a loan deal and a mandatory fee of €800.000, was 25 and while he may have been one of ADO’s better players, it was by no means a vintage side. His first game for Groningen did much to appease the fans though, as he scored one and assisted two more in a 4-1 away win over N.E.C.. But there was plenty to complain about over the months following, as Chery seemed out of his depth in a struggling team.

In reality, the quicksilver midfielder was not fitting in the more energetic style FC Groningen tried to display. But a switch in tactics in early 2014 unearthed the better in the suave playmaker. In a style more based on transition and pace, Chery started to develop more as a midfielder, aided by Filip Kostic and Richairo Zivkovic as thankful outlets for the rangy passing of the, by now, fulcrum of FC Groningen’s attack. As the season progressed, Groningen hit a hot streak with Chery as the main inspiration. They won their last nine games, with the creative star scoring five goals in that run, ensuring qualification for the Europa League in the process.

The summer of 2014 was one of a lot of flirting without any substance for Tjaronn Chery. Whereas Zivkovic earned a transfer to Ajax and Kostic found a new home in Stuttgart, Chery was considering moves to Anzhi Makachkhala and Al Ahli. Knowing how fickle the world of football is, the playmaker sought for a move that would land him financial security for years to come.

To everybody’s surprise, he was still at Groningen come the beginning of the new season. And without his two favourite tools in Kostic and Zivkovic, 2014-15 could well have turned out to be a difficult one for him.

However, not only had Kostic and Zivkovic progressed, but by the time the Eredivisie kicked off again, FC Groningen seemed to have a bonafide class player in their midst in Chery. The ability to dribble was always there, his vision was undisputed, his shot a weapon, but soon it would turn out that Tjaronn was a more focused, physically stronger version of himself compared to the previous season.

A first glimpse of his new found level was shown against Ajax. Facing the likes of Davy Klaassen and Thulani Serero on the opposite side, there was no question that Chery was the best midfielder on the pitch, elevating himself to another level than any other player out there. The Euroborg star set up both goals for Groningen as they went on to beat the reigning champion 2-0 and, whereas in previous years he had peaks followed by troughs, he continued on a good level in the months following.

In the winter period, Chery was again courted by clubs, but the tune changed. Now it was not the big pay check clubs looking for him, but reputed clubs like Feyenoord started to flutter their eyelids towards the No.10. The vision to continually read the play, hardly ever being caught out in possession and the ability to accelerate play was recognized. Still, there was plenty to work on for the stocky playmaker. One of the weak points in previous years had turned into one of his strengths, as Chery was now a physically full-grown midfielder with great stamina. But efficiency was still an issue as it was in previous seasons. His five goals from 21 games were a decent return, but nothing special.

But again, Chery managed to take his game to a new level. The year 2015 was kicked off with a 2-0 defeat to Ajax, but in each of the next four games Tjaronn managed to find the net – including an all-important opener against Vitesse in the quarter-finals of the Dutch Cup – looking a new and improved version of his previous self. Slowly but steadily, the former playful, weak and inefficient winger was turning into a decisive, industrious attacking midfielder, aiding his team with goals and assists.

That’s not to say he wasn’t put to the test, though. In March, he lost his best friend due to a car accident. Rico had always watched all of his games and the first game he missed was the home game against FC Dordrecht. Chery, desperate to score in order to pay homage to his friend, finally found the net in the 90th minute, dribbling past his opponent and finding the far-away corner to seal a 2-0 win. With a shirt containing the text ‘Rust zacht Rico’ (rest in peace Rico) he honoured his friend in an emotional moment – later on voted the Fox Sports moment of the year –  that saw both the home crowd and the away fans applauding the midfielder.

The awful incident only spurred Chery on to make the best of his abilities. After a few games in which the playmaker was relatively anonymous, he once again showed his importance in setting up Hans Hateboer’s opener in the semi-final in the Cup against Excelsior with a delightful through ball. He eventually completed the rout scoring the goal to make it 3-0 himself. In the games following, he developed a habit of scoring free-kicks, with the pinnacle being a Ronaldo-esque rocket past Feyenoord goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer.

In the Cup final he was responsible for setting up the attack for the opening goal and with six goals in his last seven games, Chery underlined his readiness for a next step. Despite his age, there is still plenty of room for him to develop into an even better player and the reported interest of Werder Bremen, Lazio and Napoli shouldn’t even come as a surprise.

The preamble has taken several years, but last season has been the perfect catapult for Tjaronn Chery to burst onto the scene and turn a career that seemed unremarkable into a fairy-tale ending in a Dutch national jersey, representing a big club in the national colours of his country.

Regarded as weak fruit only five years ago, Tjaronn has managed to turn things around and become the Chery on top.

• Like 1

I can't quote for some reason but there is a very good article on the rise of Chery and why it has taken him to age 27 to develop.  Search for Benefoot and Chery in google and you will see the article.  Hopefully someone can link it on here.

Edit: see above!

Edited by omariqy

Honestly, Dzeko is leaving Manchester City. They are in a vulnerable position. My recommendation is we try a twofer package to them on Benteke and Delph for 60m. 

With that money we buy

Denis Praet 8m

Charlie Austin 12m

Hakim Ziyech 10m

Chicharito: 10m

Jordy Clasie 15m

Djibril Sidibe 5m

Lewis Dunk 5m

David Ospina 5m

Even if by some miracle we could sell those 2 for that match, there is no way we'd be able to sign all those players. That is 8 players' wages.

I'd be happy with Clasie and Praet. 

I'm not saying we'd get all those, but we would have had 8 players leave if that does happen.

Weimann, Vlaar, Sylla, Lowton, Delph, Benteke, Bent and Stevens.

Only 5ft 7in.

No chance he could do it on a cold night in Stoke.

Next!

I'm 5 ft 8" & doubt anyone at Stoke could out muscle me (not to sound like a c*** just making a point)...just saying hight has nothing to do with strength, if anything this guy has a very athletic build.

We were all talking about him this time last year when Groningen absolutely outplayed us and took a big green shit on us preseason. 4-0 or 4-1 I think it was when Vlaar was at the game ans we didnt know if he was going to stay after the WC. Then he did an interview in Dutch and we had to know what he said (Man that year has flown by).

But yeah, I remember that Chery dude looking a world beater (as have many others against us), scored and made all the goals and looked a talent. Would be a good signing if true

This is what I was gonna post. Screams of "sign him up" from anyone and everyone watching. He's friends with Bacuna too. Could be a real possibility