Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I think if citeh come knocking hel be off in a flash.

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

You could say pretty much the same before milner downing young Barry all left.

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Like I say, think hel be off in a flash should 'serious' interest come in.

Well you couldn't because when Millner and Barry left it was the start of the new dawn at city. Totally different now.

Now delph can look at that and go, hmmm Rodwell, Sinclair, Bridge the evidence is there.

He is getting in the England team on a regular basis, he's captain and potentially we're at the start of our own new dawn.

I'd be very surprised if he left to go to city.

What so before milner and Barry, no player ever joined a bigger club and struggled to make an impact? :)

Also footballers don't have that mentality - they should all have need to achieve attitudes. It's probably what has got them to where they are today.

Rodwell won't have joined city because he wasn't aware he might be warming the bench. Hel have joined city for the money and that he probably would have believed in his own ability.

If there is one thing I'm confident with delph is that he believes in his own ability.

Delph's an odd one, because he could have easily seen out his contract and gone to a side in the Top 7: Liverpool/ Spurs etc. He's good enough for them, but chose to sign a new contract here. Why?

I don't think too many of us would have been angry if he had, as he's better than yearly relegation battles.

If Man City came in for him, I genuinely think he would think it's a step too far, and that it's better to be our big fish than one of the many possible homegrown bench warmer small fish that Man City might invest in.

The 25 players the Birmingham Mail list as supposed players villa fans want are ridiculous. They're either world class players like koke and completely out of our league or utter dogshit like niLe ranger.

Delph's an odd one, because he could have easily seen out his contract and gone to a side in the Top 7: Liverpool/ Spurs etc. He's good enough for them, but chose to sign a new contract here. Why?

I don't think too many of us would have been angry if he had, as he's better than yearly relegation battles.

If Man City came in for him, I genuinely think he would think it's a step too far, and that it's better to be our big fish than one of the many possible homegrown bench warmer small fish that Man City might invest in.

Was there solid interest Rob? Edited by Woodytom

I'd accept 60-70 million for Delph and benteke. Unfortunately our whole squad needs rebuilding and our usual 15 million a summer is not enough. People are saying because we going after amavi etc.. This means possible takeover.. It's likely that it's the Benteke money as he will be sold this summer imo. Either way it will be an interesting summer.

We'd be lucky to get half that for the both of them...

Benteke wont leave unless the 30 million clause is met. Delph being young and English and a current starting international who isnt pushing for a move and just signed a new contract is worth at least 20 million. I would be dissapointed with anything less than 50 million otherwise they wont be leaving and these rumours are most likely BS. (Delph one anyway...)

Who's Jordan Cousins and how come we seem to be heading the race for everyone? Since when have we headed a race for anything?

Also I like Robbie Brady. It would be good to finally have a player that knows how to whip in a free-kick and corner. We haven't had that since Ashley Young which is why we hardly ever score from set pieces!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

The 25 players the Birmingham Mail list as supposed players villa fans want are ridiculous. They're either world class players like koke and completely out of our league or utter dogshit like niLe ranger.

Was there solid interest Rob?
How would I know?

But you'd think that a now-regular England player would have a number of teams after him on a free transfer, wouldn't you?

Delph going nowhere,as for Huddlestone he reminds me of a player who many go on and on and on about every time I see him play! He destroyed england he is slow old and hairy! Now the question could be is Huddlestone as good as Pirlo, Well my opinion is, I'm not sure coz I'm not a fan of that type of player ,and seem to dismiss the ability of them all, but let's just take a look at Liverpool when they finished 2nd! Yes the 3 'S' players were the players that got the headlines, but it was an older slower slippy G that was behind most of it the '1/4 back' position which I would imagine Huddlestone would be playing! For me like many others I'm not jumping for joy but then the more I think about it,the more I like it

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Well you couldn't because when Millner and Barry left it was the start of the new dawn at city. Totally different now.

Now delph can look at that and go, hmmm Rodwell, Sinclair, Bridge the evidence is there.

He is getting in the England team on a regular basis, he's captain and potentially we're at the start of our own new dawn.

I'd be very surprised if he left to go to city.

What so before milner and Barry, no player ever joined a bigger club and struggled to make an impact? :)

Also footballers don't have that mentality - they should all have need to achieve attitudes. It's probably what has got them to where they are today.

Rodwell won't have joined city because he wasn't aware he might be warming the bench. Hel have joined city for the money and that he probably would have believed in his own ability.

If there is one thing I'm confident with delph is that he believes in his own ability.

That's not what I said - I was talking about city and him going there.

I don't agree you can just group footballers into one category and say they all have the same mentality, that just isn't true.

Huddlestone and Delph would be a good midfield pairing. Where we really need to improve is in the wide and attacking midfield positions. If we actually had players that could do something with the ball consistently it wouldn't be an issue having players like Sanchez and Huddlestone sitting back. The problem is we are lightweight in midfield and lack any real attacking threat. As soon as we attack we are susceptible to losing the ball easily and are under threat again.

We also need to give Grealish time as he has the potential but we need more than that to avoid the bottom 6.

Would be great to get new owners in who really strengthen the squad to allow us to rest, or even loan out, players like Grealish.

People keep promoting Huddlestone with reference to the 13/14 season, which is understandable because for most of that season he was excellent for them. Unfortunately he was absolute pish last season. I saw Hull probably half a dozen times and I was very unimpressed with him and Livermore, including the 0-3 home defeat to John Carver's Newcastle which was honestly one of the worst central midfield performances I've seen in recent times. If this link were last summer I'd be excited, or at least intrigued, but I think he's slowing down and being found out at this level unfortunately. I definitely don't think he'd be worthwhile when you consider the absolute wedge he'd be on. 

Don't mind the Brady link though. 

Yeah a home grown player, playing for his country available on a free transfer.

Sure, there would be zero interest.