Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Huddlestone may not be lazy but he is probably the slowest player in the league, no exaggeration. He doesn't possess the awareness or defensive reading to compensate for it either.

Huddlestone may not be lazy but he is probably the slowest player in the league, no exaggeration. He doesn't possess the awareness or defensive reading to compensate for it either.

He's not the slowest player in the league and he has very good awareness and reading of the game. That's how he manages to win the ball, despite lack of pace. 

Here is a full games highlight for you, so you can lose this preconception you have of him and see how he's change Villa's style. It think watching  a full games highlights will shock you, as he's nowhere near this immobile lump people seem to think he is. The main thing to observe is how he stretches the play so quickly by spreading the ball out wide constantly. Forget the likes of Cleverly, KEA and Sanchez etc that you've seen in recent years. Huddlestone is on a different level.

Edited by joey55
  • Like 1

I reckon he's on about 40-50k at Hull, they must be offering players decent wages to leave London and live around the dump that is Kingston-Upon-Hull (I had the misfortune to visit it two weeks back).

Joey the problem for me is we desperately need goals from our central midfield next season and he dosen't really score enough, similar to Delph.

He's not the slowest player in the league and he has very good awareness and reading of the game. That's how he manages to win the ball, despite lack of pace. 

Here is a full games highlight for you, so you can lose this preconception you have of him and see how he's change Villa's style. It think watching  a full games highlights will shock you, as he's nowhere near this immobile lump people seem to think he is. The main thing to observe is how he stretches the play so quickly by spreading the ball out wide constantly. Forget the likes of Cleverly, KEA and Sanchez etc that you've seen in recent years. Huddlestone is on a different level.

I'll have what he's smoking

people said same about Carrick for years, be an upgrade on Westwood for me

The question for me is, is he better than Westwood? I don't think he is (and that's no insult), he can't really play in Delph or Cleverly's role, and £5M+ would be a big chunk of our transfer budget for us to spend on a squad player.

• Like 1

I reckon he's on about 40-50k at Hull, they must be offering players decent wages to leave London and live around the dump that is Kingston-Upon-Hull (I had the misfortune to visit it two weeks back).

Joey the problem for me is we desperately need goals from our central midfield next season and he dosen't really score enough, similar to Delph.

Agreed

Sorry, which part of that video invalidates anything I said? Most of the defensive plays were him blocking/dispossessing while holding his position. All against vastly inferior opposition I should add. That's not even to mention that he is even slower now with the decline in his physical condition. I can see why you somehow thought he was one of Hull's best performers if that compilation proves how great he is.

The question for me is, is he better than Westwood? I don't think he is (and that's no insult), he can't really play in Delph or Cleverly's role, and £5M+ would be a big chunk of our transfer budget for us to spend on a squad player.

Even I prefer Westwood to him.

Do we have any other players of the ilk of Westwood in the squad? Are we opposed to having a "Squad"?

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/gael-kakuta-to-complete-sevilla-deal-on-thursday/

Tried to sign Gael Kakuta 

Chelsea’s Frenchman Gaël Kakuta will complete a move to La Liga side Sevilla on Thursday, subject to a medical.

A deal was a little more complicated than the Spanish side would have liked, with Olympiakos, Aston Villa, St Étienne and AC Milan having tried at several points to both entice the player their way but also to outbid Sevilla’s €3.5m offer for the player, according to our colleagues at Foot Mercato.

Anyhow, Sevilla have staved off the competition and barring an extraordinary U-turn in events, Kakuta will sign the dotted line before the week is out.

Do we have any other players of the ilk of Westwood in the squad? Are we opposed to having a "Squad"?

Apparently Gardner got rave revews at Forest, last season playing in that role.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/gael-kakuta-to-complete-sevilla-deal-on-thursday/

Tried to sign Gael Kakuta

Chelsea’s Frenchman Gaël Kakuta will complete a move to La Liga side Sevilla on Thursday, subject to a medical.

A deal was a little more complicated than the Spanish side would have liked, with Olympiakos, Aston Villa, St Étienne and AC Milan having tried at several points to both entice the player their way but also to outbid Sevilla’s €3.5m offer for the player, according to our colleagues at Foot Mercato.

Anyhow, Sevilla have staved off the competition and barring an extraordinary U-turn in events, Kakuta will sign the dotted line before the week is out.

Interesting, he was brilliant as a kid, not done a great deal since then

Westwood, Sánchez and Gardner who can cover that role. That'll do for now.

Westwood, Sánchez and Gardner who can cover that role. That'll do for now.

Sanchez who can barely pass to his own team mate most the time, can cover the ball spraying midfield role? :o

• Like 1

Let's be honest, it's rare any of us really know much about players from other leagues. I think it's fair to say that most, in fact all of you, are probably shocked by Hudd's work rate and defensive stats. But that's normal, as why would any of you have really watched him carefully. You must all read and hear things about your own players on other forums that constantly shock you as they are so far wide of the mark.

I can see why it's depressing being a Villa fan. I'm actually giving you a positive review and highlighting some stuff to show just how false the perceptions of a player you look like signing are and some of you just don't want to take it. It's like you want to be negative.

When you signed Darren Bent, I came here and warned you it was a huge mistake, so I'm not just backing old Spurs players. In the same way most had a false perception of Bent, the same is true for Huddlestone, only this time it's a good thing. Darren Bent belonged at a club like Charlton, Sunderland or Hull. Huddlestone should be at an Everton, Villa or Newcaslte type of club. If Huddlestone was a crap signing I'd tell you, like I did with Bent. I got dogs abuse on here and was told I was "jealous" when you signed Bent. But this time I admit, I'd like Hudd back.

Bent wasn't a mistake at the time, he banged them in with Young, and Downing providing for him. I'm convinced we'd have got 4th spot with him in the team 09/10. He's too one dimensional to thrive in turgid defensive teams with no width though. See McCleish and Lambert.

As for Huddlestone, I'd be fully behind this signing, surprised at some of the negativity on here.

Sanchez who can barely pass to his own team mate most the time, can cover the ball spraying midfield role? :o

I think he showed that he was a more than adequate passer in some games. Remember that run over Christmas when he he completely bossed it? I think he made over hundred passes in one of those games. I'd like him to get another season to see if he adapts. I also believe Gardner may have his best chance of breaking into the eleven in that role given that he had the best spell of his career playing there for Forest. I don't want to sign another defensive-midfielder while I still hold out hope for them and definitely not tripe like Huddlestone.

Edited by Isa