Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

Why do Americans say they are going to take a shit when it's literally the opposite of what they are going to do?

That's not only Americans. Australians say that too, although maybe we took that from Americans.

• Like 1

Why do Americans say they are going to take a shit when it's literally the opposite of what they are going to do?

That's not only Americans. Australians say that too, although maybe we took that from Americans.
No true Aussie would say that. Take a dump maybe, but have a shit all the same.
  • Like 2

An American friend of mine posted a picture of a Heinz Spotted Dick recently, and much hilarity ensued amongst our colonial cousins.  I was like, "you wot mate?"

• Like 1

Why are the British so courageous, sometimes apparently to a fault?

Dunno where you get that from. We are no more and no less courageous than any other nationality. People are people, most are nice, a few are shits, same everywhere.
  • Like 2

The majority of Brits have always been pretty indifferent to religion. One of the best things about this country, IMO.

We have Ann Boleyn to thank for that.

• Like 1

Dunno where you get that from. We are no more and no less courageous than any other nationality. People are people, most are nice, a few are shits, same everywhere.

In fact, one of the worst things about this country is the general cowardice of the population. Everyone is far too afraid of their own hardship to rock the boat, and the ruling bodies know that.

• Like 2

From the wonderful Daily Mash. A joke obviously, but also kind of true.

Capacity for beer still main source of pride
19-07-13

MOST Britons consider drinking a lot of beer to be their greatest achievement.

beer2501.jpg

Don’t give up, keep putting it in your mouth

As it emerged that 9,000 people in the UK die of drink every year, doctors warned against equating self-worth with how much beer you can swallow in one session.

Doctor Julian Cook said: “There are lots of goals in life outside of drinking benders. Marriage, parenthood, career or maybe writing a detailed political autobiography.

“However I’m not saying that because I’m some sort of lightweight.

“I had 24 pints at a rugby club dinner. You might think I’d have lost count after the first dozen or so, but I didn’t.

“However this is very dangerous and as a medical professional I would advise strongly against it. Especially if you’re a lightweight – which I patently am not.”

34-year-old Roy Hobbs said: “I would say my proudest moment was the birth of my son, Stanley.

“Actually no, thinking about it, it’s the time I drank 26 pints and nine shots during a 36-hour sauce fest in Mykonos.

“I’m only an ordinary guy with an ordinary life, but that day I was a hero.”

In fact, one of the worst things about this country is the general cowardice of the population. Everyone is far too afraid of their own hardship to rock the boat, and the ruling bodies know that.

It may just be that the English and Scottish people I've had the privilege of knowing have been particularly brave. It's also true that I met my share of moral cowards when I lived in England, but I have seen many examples of the opposite, too. 

It may just be that the English and Scottish people I've had the privilege of knowing have been particularly brave. It's also true that I met my share of moral cowards when I lived in England, but I have seen many examples of the opposite, too. 

I took a shit down the park the other day, I didn't fancy using my boxers to wipe my arse so I used stinging nettles...yeah mother **** I'M BRAAAVVVVEEE

Possibly. It seems likely that the British people I've known have been anomalous. It's also an idea that I think has been cultivated outside the UK more than in it, but others may disagree.

Maybe it comes from WWII - that 1940-41 period, when it was just us and the Canadians & ANZACs against Hitler. Battle of Britain, the blitz, and all that.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Maybe it comes from WWII - that 1940-41 period, when it was just us and the Canadians & ANZACs against Hitler. Battle of Britain, the blitz, and all that.

I tend to think that all those radio broadcasts by Ed Murrow from London during the blitz (1940), which was part of the campaign to shift American public opinion in favour of joining the European war, still resonate in the American view of the plucky Brits. 

"This is London"

• Like 2

I tend to think that all those radio broadcasts by Ed Murrow from London during the blitz (1940), which was part of the campaign to shift American public opinion in favour of joining the European war, still resonate in the American view of the plucky Brits. 

"This is London"

Yeah, nowadays the English men I've met want to know where I bought my shoes and how do you cook butternut squash ravioli.

Â