Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

Do English people call English muffins muffins or English muffins?

I don't think so. Just muffins.

They're not that popular anymore.

We still call the other kind of muffins "muffins" too though.

• Like 2

Why do British people put toast on little toast holders at breakfast and tea?

Why not just place the toast on the plate and let it await the marmalade or yeast extract or whatever you people spread on the toast?

That only happens in 70s sitcoms.

I can assure you it happens nearly every day in my mom's house :D

Stops them going soggy, as a serious answer. The steam rises upwards instead of seeping into the other slices.

• Like 1

Do English people call English muffins muffins or English muffins?

I don't think so. Just muffins.

They're not that popular anymore.

We still call the other kind of muffins "muffins" too though.

Yeah confusingly for non Brits, This is a muffin:

english-muffins-main2.jpg

And so is this:

UW-blueberry-shot-291x300.jpg

• Like 1

I want to ask an American something.

Why, when many of you have never even been to the places, do a lot of you call yourselves (or make a point of stating) where your heritage comes from?

I.e. "Yea, I'm Mike from NYC, but I'm half Irish, Quarter Italian & Quarter Spanish".

When I was honeymooning in Toronto (Ok, not America, but bear with me), a tour guide asked if any one was from Europe, me and my wife stuck our hands up and then 2 women from Kansas stuck their hands up and said "We're Irish".

The guide asked them when they moved over to the States and they said "We've never been to Ireland, but we're Irish".

I was like WTFLMAO >->

• Like 3

Now they do cinnamon and raisin muffins I've got back in to them, before that they couldn't touch a crumpet IMO

The other muffin, same as donuts and other bakery stuff, they've gone too cheap and ruined the product, I used to love a blueberry muffin

• Like 1

Turning this around slightly, I'm a bit of an Americaphile geographically. One day I'd love to spend a year going to all of the different places I've seen or heard of in the USA.

East coast with its old English style, west coast with its plasticity, middle with nothing there, deep south with its history, north with its winters. All seems amazing to me.

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 2

Why not just place the toast on the plate and let it await the marmalade or yeast extract or whatever you people spread on the toast?

The toast-rack is a device for storing toast between courses, toast and marmalade being served after the kippers, kidneys, kedgeree, and the bacon and eggs, and is mostly associated with the leisurely breakfast, catering, and the informal breakfast arrangements of the aristocracy.

So naturally the middle-classes were keen to adopt it and it used to be a very popular wedding present for the upwardly mobile.

It is supposed to eliminate the problem of 'toast sweat' which makes it toast soggy - celebrity chef Delia Smith was quite vehement on the subject.

But definitely not to be found in the kitchens of your dyed-in-the-wool proles.

• Like 1

They don't.  The only place I've seen them used is in hotels, and that includes the Trump Hotel in Vegas that we stayed in a couple of weeks ago. 

Talking of which, we were over there for a family wedding, and when we were at the reception waiting for the main meal, the Yanks were amazed that everybody sat politely not eating their food until everybody on their table had been given their meal.  I take it that that's not a thing in the States then?  It just seems like basic manners to me.

On the 'quite' thing, it can mean both sub-par and great, depending on the context, eg

that was quite good......in other words it was passable, but nothing more.

or

that was quite remarkable, which would mean that it was brilliant.

Why are British people so superbly diligent and generous about responding to letters and emails?

I wouldn't say that they are, any more or less than any other nation to be honest.

Maybe it's an Irish thing rather than British. But toast racks are used quite a lot, but off the top of my head I can only think of my irish relatives where I've seen them.

• Like 1

We have a toast rack. The missus occasionally uses it for the reason mentioned - keeping the toast crisp. But I hate cold toast. I have to butter and eat my toast while it's still hot, so the butter partially melts.

• Like 4

Yeah my folks use these also, always seemed like a terrible idea to me because there is no point storing toast, unless you eat it pretty immediatley it goes cold.

On a side note my father in law will only eat his toast one way which is to be burnt (not carbonite but definitely black) which he then leaves to go cold so the butter doesnt melt.

• Like 1

Â