Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

Here's another question:

You guys have so many amazing churches and interesting British saints, and so many cool Britain-centred Christian myths and hagiographies.

So how come you heathens don't go to church more often? Don't you know you're all going to burn?

Ooh that one is going to open a can of worms! I suggest you take a look at the religion thread.

• Like 1

yeah, I'd leave that in the religion thread, too many aggressive atheist nutters on here for a sensible discussion

but you'd love a day out in Kent, it's packed with this kind of stuff...

11196462936_c60823082a_k.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Another one: Why is your pop music so great? Are the British somehow genetically set up to invent memorable melodies? If so, it seems unfair.

We're just ripping off black Americans.

Another: The countryside in England is almost ineffably beautiful -- but it's increasingly being emptied out and everyone's moving to cities. Are you crazy? Why o why?

Jobs.

• Like 4

Here's another question:

You guys have so many amazing churches and interesting British saints, and so many cool Britain-centred Christian myths and hagiographies.

So how come you heathens don't go to church more often? Don't you know you're all going to burn?

I've lived directly opposite a church for the last 6 years, it's a 30 second walk from money, I went in there for the first time in my life a few weeks ago because they had a record fair on in there

• Like 1

Another one: Why is your pop music so great? Are the British somehow genetically set up to invent memorable melodies? If so, it seems unfair.

because there are great influences and so lots of younger people want to start their own bands.

and its much easier to 'make it' as the music infrastructure is set-up to promote bands.

• Like 1

Another: The countryside in England is almost ineffably beautiful -- but it's increasingly being emptied out and everyone's moving to cities. Are you crazy? Why o why?

i'm not sure it is emptying by much.

1990 - 6.5m

2000 - 6.2m

2010 - 6.2m

in the past 20 years, its gone down by 300k.

• Like 1

Not sure it is being emptied really. Most people just stay where they were now.

The most beautiful part of England, in my opinion, is the lake district. That's breathtaking. But living in bag end Worcestershire is quite nice.

• Like 4

Hard to believe that America is meant to be the secular country according to the constitution whereas Britain's head of state is the supreme governor of the church.

Attitudes of the general populace (and politicians) don't suggest that.

• Like 2

I would never have ever thought of 'quite' as being offensive at all, although thinking about it I don't think I ever use the word myself...I'm quite surprised by that actually

It seems like it's used more as "completely" or "totally" in the UK, whereas the article addresses its use as "very." 

It's funny, because when I hear someone say, "That's quite good," to my ears it sounds kind of English in an archaic way-- and that makes sense since so often we Americans like to imagine British people mostly being from the year 1915 or so.

Imagine what, I took this photo last year in London

dbfab5dd64ecd69fd15e6209bd9560ed.jpg

I like how the font is gothic so the Germans could understand what it says  :D

That list - not buying a pint, talking in cinema, the plates and the money talk

Talking about therapy? Behave I do to know anyone who's been to therapy and I'd say the view on yanks going to therapy is part of the negative view surrounding it, you'd have to be properly struggling before openly talking about therapy here, it's just not a done thing

As for religion, I think it's died a death because unlike America no one cares what everyone else is doing, I'm not under any pressure to be religious, I can think what I like and not be questioned on it, being completely honest, I'm 30 years old, my brother is 32, I don't know if he believes in god, I've never asked him, I'm pretty sure my mom does but from a young age she said it was up to me if I went to church, again I think honestly amongst my friends I've never asked any of them if they believe in god and I've never been asked by any of them, no one judges you because no one cares

• Like 1

Why do British people put toast on little toast holders at breakfast and tea?

Why not just place the toast on the plate and let it await the marmalade or yeast extract or whatever you people spread on the toast?

I don't eat toast any longer but when I used to I remember that putting it in those holders makes a difference to the taste. At least I think it's important to seperate the slices once cooked, otherwise they seem to soak up each other's heat and become a bit a sweaty. in the holders it allows the air to get to them.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â