Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

The genius of Bill Bryson and the reason he is so beloved by many Brits, especially for his Notes from a Small Island, is the way he intuitively understands British sensibilities.

We like flattery but we prefer it if it is made deniable by a good dose of irony, or at least we used to. 

To me, he has always come across as a little naive, but I like American anglophiles, in general, much more than they do me. I myself was, in a way, brainwashed to love Britain, like the children of many ex-pats of a certain generation, I suppose. I didn't come to it voluntarily, and for me, it's definitely and will always be a love-hate relationship. I understand many British people far more than I give myself credit for, but in other ways, I find them delightfully baffling, even impenetrable. There's nothing quite like being truly dual-national, especially as the child of an ex-pat. You spend your whole chlldhood thinking, "That's dad. He'e odd that way." Then one day you realise that's not Dad, that's England.

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 3

Only on VT is Bill Bryson a well known person, but Thom Yorke is completely unknown.

I'd argue that Bill Bryson is more well known in general than Thom Yorke.

I bet if you did a survey of people and asked them to tell you who they both were, more people would be able to tell you that Bill Bryson is an author than could tell you Thom Yorke is the lead singer of Radiohead

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Â