Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

What's the biggest stereotype about British people that's not true?

The teeth thing.  We don't bleach our teeth here, but it's not like that's a bad thing is it? 

• Like 1

I know exactly where the teeth thing comes from as well.

In America, if you have the tiniest imperfection with your teeth, you get braces. Here there's a margin of imperfection until you get braces. I have so many friends with tiny imperfections that they didn't need braces for and the Yanks find not having perfect teeth weird.

• Like 1

Everybody who appears on TV in the US has perfectly straight, bleached-to-within-an-inch-of-their-lives teeth, so they assume that anything that departs from this is a sign of poor dental hygiene.  The mutants I saw wandering around Wal-Mart didn't have perfect teeth though, far from it.

Yeah, I was going to say teeth as well. I have no idea where the stereotype that we all have terrible teeth came from.

Definitely a thing of the past now. Few younger Americans have even heard of this. There was a period in the 70s and 80s that I remember when there seemed to be a massive difference in orthodontics cultures between the two places. It didn't help that some prominent musical artists from the UK such as Shane MacGowan were junkies. I do think there may be a genetic aspect to the teeth issue, too. I know many people of English heritage who tend to struggle more with tooth decay, even when they really take care of their teeth.

Edited by Plastic Man

I like a bit of imperfection. There was a girl at university whom I had a bit of a crush on. She had slightly crooked front teeth, and decided to get them fixed. Afterwards, her teeth were American-perfect, but oddly I thought she was less attractive for it.

• Like 2

I did already answer the post above Mantis. Mantis, why you ignore me :(

I didn't ignore you, I just don't really buy that explanation. It's not we're the only non-Americans that Americans interact with.

The teeth thing is totally untrue, in fact per this article 28% of Brits have tooth decay whereas 92% of Americans do, and 7 in 10 Brits visited the dentist the year before the article was written while only 4 in 10 Americans did. The principle difference seems to be that having perfect teeth is a qualifying criterion for a camera-facing job in the American media, whereas it isn't in the UK. 

Yep I'd have said the teeth thing too.

Always confused me that one.

I assumed it must have come from someone British who was famous in America in the olden days and had really bad teeth and it just became a thing that British people had bad teeth, even though it was probably based on one person.

I don't like tea, but I love strong, black coffee (like my men, 8pints ;)).

My teeth aren't perfect (they're very straight, but I don't have an overbite or under-bite and I have a gap between my front teeth, Madonna style), and I haven't been to the dentist since I had to pay for it :lol: but they're white enough.

The American "celebs" - I was under the impression they've all got veneers anyway?

Â