Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

I also find the diversity of accents fascinating. Here in Aus there are discreet differences from state to state and in the US there are huge differences on a state to state basis but in England it almost seems to be people living just a few miles apart can have completely different accents

• Like 3

Why do the British often seem to create offensive taxonomic names for lower-class social groups? Examples: Yobs, chavs, neds, oiks (passe). From a BBC article a few years ago ...

A new book claims the word "chav" is helping to reignite class war. The journalist Polly Toynbee calls it "the vile word at the heart of fractured Britain". Recently a peer caused a kerfuffle when she tweeted about being stuck in "chav-land". So almost a decade after its emergence, is chav really the most divisive word in Britain, asks Tom de Castella.

For some it has been a satisfying label to pin on Burberry check-wearing louts. But for others, it's a nasty, coded attack on the working class.

And for some commentators the word chav is now at the heart of Britain's obsession with class.

It's surely no different to the likes of trailer park trash, po' white trash, redneck, hillbilly, good ole'boy, hick and so on.

• Like 1

Being a bit of an Anglophile, having lived with English people and and being on here every day for the last 10 years, I've definitely picked up phrases and words and use them sometimes with Americans who look at me like I have two heads, or probably think I'm trying to be something I'm not. But when nothing else can describe a situation like "taking the piss" can, it's hard not to use some British terms sometimes.

Edited by maqroll

I also find the diversity of accents fascinating. Here in Aus there are discreet differences from state to state and in the US there are huge differences on a state to state basis but in England it almost seems to be people living just a few miles apart can have completely different accents

It's incredible isn't it? I try to guess the area where [insert talking head here] is from, but if it's not Scouse, Brummie, Cockney, or Southwest where they have rhotic accents, I often struggle. If it's a strong Yorkshire accent I can sometimes guess that one too.

Why do the British often seem to create offensive taxonomic names for lower-class social groups? Examples: Yobs, chavs, neds, oiks (passe). From a BBC article a few years ago ...

A new book claims the word "chav" is helping to reignite class war. The journalist Polly Toynbee calls it "the vile word at the heart of fractured Britain". Recently a peer caused a kerfuffle when she tweeted about being stuck in "chav-land". So almost a decade after its emergence, is chav really the most divisive word in Britain, asks Tom de Castella.

For some it has been a satisfying label to pin on Burberry check-wearing louts. But for others, it's a nasty, coded attack on the working class.

And for some commentators the word chav is now at the heart of Britain's obsession with class.

It's surely no different to the likes of trailer park trash, po' white trash, redneck, hillbilly, good ole'boy, hick and so on.

Or the northern city equivalents, like Townie or Guido, or the insidious "Wigger", which is pretty ugly.

Being a bit of an Anglophile, having lived with English people and and being on here every day for the last 10 years, I've definitely picked up phrases and words and use them sometimes with Americans who look at me like I have two heads, or probably think I'm trying to be something I'm not. But when nothing else can describe a situation like "taking the piss" can, it's hard not to use some British terms sometimes.

"word removed" isn't in common usage in the UK (yet).

• Like 1

The toast rack always used to be the cheapskate option right at the bottom of the wedding present list.

I think wedding gifts are graded on the same basis as the guests.

You have to have some cheap items for those low-grade guests who are only considered worthy of travelling at their own expense to a distant venue, for the pleasures of getting the cold-shoulder from both sets of relatives, a lousy disco and what remains of the buffet.  :)

Black Country and brummie are 2 different accents 10m apart, 50m up the m6 it's different, 50m down the m5 different, 50m down the m40 different, 50m on the m42 different

It's pretty mad when you think about it, we must have 20+ accents in the uk

Do British people want their empire back?

If it made travelling easier/cheaper then yea, but apart from that, and using our history to give other countries a bit of stick, I don't think anyone cares [emoji38]

In fact a lot of posters on here are against the Royal Family because of what they stand for etc, I don't mind them, they bring in money and people all around the world seem to dig them.

Rude American story number 1; I was in London when I think William and Kate were due at Buckingham Palace, we went at the very last minute, just to see if we could see anything/anyone. We met an American family from California (Portland maybe?) man, woman and 3 teenage girls. The man was quite chilled out, the kids weren't interested in standing around waiting to see a car surrounded by police but the woman, jesus christ, was pushing and asking people to move out of her way so she could get to the front of the queue.. Literally pushing people [emoji38]

Her husband just looked at us and said "I know, typical Yanks right?"

Portland is in Oregon.

Why do Americans say they are going to take a shit when it's literally the opposite of what they are going to do?

It's the US take v. UK have dichotomy.

Shits, leaks, showers, baths, breaks, rests, etc. Americans take 'em, Brits have 'em.

• Like 1

Why do Americans say they are going to take a shit when it's literally the opposite of what they are going to do?

yep, mjmooney answered it! If you go back in English language history though, I think you'll find that the distinction fades. Example from Lewis Carroll:

'Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.

'I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, 'so I can't take more.'

It is the same in terms of class, in a way, but I think there is actually a big difference, too. The British terms, from what I can, are often used in a way that present poor people as aggressive and socially out of control. In the US, the terms you mention are more about being a throwback to rural America, a "hayseed," or "yokel." There's definitely a lack of education implied in both US and UK sets of terms.

Those terms in the US are very different in how they get used, and some of them (like good ole boy) aren't very well defined. And several of them are simply offensive code for Appalachian people that have expanded. They remind me of English people who use the "p" word to describe travelers.

Maqroll's comment about "Guidos" definitely makes a lot of sense as a kind of analogy but it's different, too. That word "guido" is ethnic and extremely offensive, too, at least to the Italian-Americans I know. 

Edited by Plastic Man

Why do British people get drunk and then want "a curry"? 

It just seems like recipe for disaster. Plus, curries are very messy. Wouldn't you rather have a hamburger or a kebab or chips?

• Like 3

The British terms, from what I can, are often used in a way that present poor people as aggressive and socially out of control.

That's because the people they are used to describe often are.  A lot of town centres in the UK are completely out of control with binge drinkers at the weekends for example.

• Like 2

Why do British people get drunk and then want "a curry"? 

It just seems like recipe for disaster. Plus, curries are very messy. Wouldn't you rather have a hamburger or a kebab or chips?

So funny ... shared this with lots of people just now.

• Like 1

Â