2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

I wouldn't read too much into the last line of the Sherwood quotes, to be honest. He's not going to say 'we have shitloads to spend and will happily leave unregistered players in the reserves'. Mentioning 'exits' doesn't necessarily mean that we haven't got money to spend.

What's changed this year compared the the last few for us to suddenly spend anymore that £10m? 

I don't know so I am guessing, but we have removed a few high earners from our wage bill over the last two seasons, combined with bigger income streams coming in from tv deals this year could free us up to invest a bit in the squad. We are no longer losing £20-30m per year, so Randy hasn't got to subsidise that therefore allowing him to invest in transfer fees?

• Like 1

Am I the only one who isnt that bothered by this news? For every sugar daddy there are 9 disastrous takeovers. We're not going to win the league so I'd rather have a chairman that at least wont let us get liquidated.

thats why we are disappointed because we still need one

I wouldn't read too much into the last line of the Sherwood quotes, to be honest. He's not going to say 'we have shitloads to spend and will happily leave unregistered players in the reserves'. Mentioning 'exits' doesn't necessarily mean that we haven't got money to spend.

What's changed this year compared the the last few for us to suddenly spend anymore that £10m?

Firstly; the reduced wage bill by getting rid of Bent, Given, Vlaar plus a few smaller earners.

Secondly, I haven't said anything about expecting us to spend more than £10m. What I'm saying is that Sherwood saying "we may need to see exits before more players coming in", (or something like that, I can't be bothered to scroll back), doesn't mean that we'll need the money from the sales of these other players to then fund further signings, it might just mean that we already have a fairly big squad and need to thin the numbers anyway. It might mean that we've got a number of players on the wage bill who don't contribute enough to the team (Bennett/ Tonev/ Senderos), despite not earning huge amounts, that it keeps the finances in the green by offloading a few before bringing in others (who may then earn much more p/w than the people we're offloading).

I'm just conscious of the usual panic that comes from someone at the club mentioning anything that resembles the words 'sell to buy'.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who isnt that bothered by this news? For every sugar daddy there are 9 disastrous takeovers. We're not going to win the league so I'd rather have a chairman that at least wont let us get liquidated.

I guess the disappointment for me is that while there was a chance he was off, we had hope that we might not have the same crap as we've had for the past five years. I'd say we had just as much chance of it going wrong, but the hope was there.

With Lerner here it's going to be more of the same struggling. It was a miracle we stayed up last year. They only come around once in a while. 

I don't know so I am guessing, but we have removed a few high earners from our wage bill over the last two seasons, combined with bigger income streams coming in from tv deals this year could free us up to invest a bit in the squad. We are no longer losing £20-30m per year, so Randy hasn't got to subsidise that therefore allowing him to invest in transfer fees?

I think I'd have a lot more confidence in the wage bill argument if for the first few years of Lerner's Osbourne act we weren't told it was the wage bill stopping the signing of players, and then that switched to the fees now. It's all excuses. I've also yet to see any evidence of increase of income streams - the TV deal comes in play next year and our sponsorship is still nowhere near where Fox was saying it should be. And why would Lerner invest any more at all seeing as he's 'wanted' rid of the club for over two years now? I just don't see it happening.

*Sigh* appoint a new chairman before the new season please Randy, preferably one who gives a damn.

i think he gives a damn, just doesn't know how to run a club

I would love to believe this but the guy comes to one game a season and he owns the freaking club!

Edited by mikeyjavfc

I'm not that bothered to be honest. It would have been nice to wake up and read that the owner of Nike had bought us and was going to spend as much as FFP allowed, but we certainly seem to be on a better track with Randy, Fox, and Sherwood than we have in the last 3 seasons.

We've effectively got 3 'new' players for the season already, right? Sinclair, Richards, Gueye. We've kept Delph for now, Kozak's back, and everyone loves Gil so he'll be like a new player.

Sell Tekkers as he obviously doesn't want to be here, that's cash we can use for a new forward and a new left back and a bit of support for other positions.

We have the high earners off the books, the team can score, so sure up the defence and stop leaking petty goals. Let Fox take the chairman role so Randy doesn't have to do sh*t, then just go for it this season.

Easy peasy, f*ck all to worry about chaps ;)

Ha! I hope so! There's a lot of pressure now to get the Benteke deal done quick and even more pressure that money actually being reinvested and then being invested in the right players.

Lets hope that Lerner allows the first, and that Reilly does the second.

The last line is pretty telling. Not much left to spend until Benteke leaves.

I don't think he is talking about Benteke. ``Some exits'' and ``might'' is all quite vague.

And I doubt he wants to show his hand in the transfer market.

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 1

That's the dream now? 3 cheers for Randy because we won't go bust?

Â