Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

@KenjiOgiwara is right - the UK is not a coffee country.

Oh they do drink a lot of what they think is coffee, but it's actually brown milky piss water. Nescafé? - freeze dried Vietnamese donkey turd.
Costa Coffee ?Costa lot of milky brown turdy water.

Appalling place to get coffee. I would go as far to say I've never had a good cup of coffee in the UK.

We have revoked passports for less. 

• Haha 2

On 16/02/2021 at 21:49, bickster said:

uimkc3zzruh61.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Sorry to go back to an old post.

Assuming this is languages spoken in China... is Cantonese really only that area? I thought Cantonese was massive, like Madarin

On 16/04/2021 at 17:22, Rds1983 said:

spacer.png

So, those people who use the word 'tea' to describe what I would call a dinner (y'know, the main evening meal thing), do they not use the word dinner at all then?

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Assuming this is languages spoken in China... is Cantonese really only that area? I thought Cantonese was massive, like Madarin

Presumably that perception is because it's the language spoken in Hong Kong and Macau, so in Europe Cantonese was assumed to be more widely spoken than it was. Plus I think there's a lot of similarities between the Chinese languages, so maybe to an untrained ear Cantonese and Mandarin were assumed to be essentially the same?

This is guesswork really though, as I also didn't realise Cantonese was only spoken in a small portion of the country. (I say only, looking it up, it's about 80 million people that speak it)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

So, those people who use the word 'tea' to describe what I would call a dinner (y'know, the main evening meal thing), do they not use the word dinner at all then?

Of course they do. Dinner is eaten at mid-day. 

They don't use the word 'lunch'. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Presumably that perception is because it's the language spoken in Hong Kong and Macau, so in Europe Cantonese was assumed to be more widely spoken than it was. Plus I think there's a lot of similarities between the Chinese languages, so maybe to an untrained ear Cantonese and Mandarin were assumed to be essentially the same?

This is guesswork really though, as I also didn't realise Cantonese was only spoken in a small portion of the country. (I say only, looking it up, it's about 80 million people that speak it)

Yeah I was also thinking maybe Cantonese was a generic term for a group of languages that are quite similar. but that's a complete guess

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

What @mjmooneysaid, except he forgot to add that those people are clearly crazy!

Tea is a drink; afternoon tea is a light meal where you drink tea and eat sandwiches and cake; high tea would be a correct name for the evening meal but sounds too posh (which ironically it wasn't, that was afternoon tea). 

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What @mjmooneysaid, except he forgot to add that those people are clearly crazy!

Tea is a drink; afternoon tea is a light meal where you drink tea and eat sandwiches and cake; high tea would be a correct name for the evening meal but sounds too posh (which ironically it wasn't, that was afternoon tea). 

Oh that's an absolute given, but it's rude to stare (or the forum equivalent of pointing out to a weirdo that they are in fact a weirdo). So we let it go unsaid.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The Luncheon Bell never went in my School, the Dinner Bell did though

Exactly. School dinners. Dinner bell. Dinnertime. Dinner tickets. Dinner ladies. And... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hong Kong and Macau would have been the west's only real exposure to China for a long time and would have probably made cantonese feel like the main Chinese language for us. Its only really the last 20/30 years that 'mainland' China has been widely accessible. I'd wager 95% of the Chinese takeaways in the UK when we were younger were Cantonese people originally from HK settling in the UK. IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly. School dinners. Dinner bell. Dinnertime. Dinner tickets. Dinner ladies. 

Lunch money, lunch time (but with dinner ladies!). lunch boxes (insert KW) and painfully at work, lunch meetings :(

I'm not sure if its a regional or generational thing. 

• Like 1

I had one co-worker from the South of US refer to the mid-day meal as dinner.   Other than that, it's always lunch here.  The only real disagreement I've seen is whether the evening meal is dinner or supper.

There's no equivalent to the afternoon tea over here.  People may grab a coffee (because we're a coffee country!)  and perhaps a small bite on the fly, but that's it.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lunch money, lunch time (but with dinner ladies!). lunch boxes (insert KW) and painfully at work, lunch meetings :(

I'm not sure if its a regional or generational thing. 

It's true that the kids who didn't have school dinners (including me) took... packed lunches. Although I think I only ever referred to mine as 'sandwiches'. 

Generational? Regional? Dunno. It was Birmingham in the 1960s. And I don't think my Mom ever said the word 'lunch' in her life.  Breakfast, dinner, tea. And supper was a very light snack just before bedtime. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Hong Kong and Macau would have been the west's only real exposure to China for a long time and would have probably made cantonese feel like the main Chinese language for us. Its only really the last 20/30 years that 'mainland' China has been widely accessible. I'd wager 95% of the Chinese takeaways in the UK when we were younger were Cantonese people originally from HK settling in the UK. IMO. 

Was reading it thinking you can apply the same to food, it'll be the empire obviously but what we regard as "Chinese" food is largely Cantonese (and out of interest in germany its not, Chinese food here is a weird mix of "Asian" with no real identity and its shit) 

I love trying to explain 'tea' to Americans. You can have a full English breakfast for your tea. With coffee, and no tea. And you can have a cream tea any time of day. Maybe in your lunchbox, at dinnertime. It's scones, jam and cream. You could have coffee with it if you like - if tea is not your cup of tea. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Lunch box is a good one but other than that everything is dinner for me 

Tea is the evening meal 

If there’s a match at 12:30pm on a Saturday, is it a “dinner time kick off”?

• Like 2

Â