Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Mentioned the number of McDonalds my relatively small town (Stafford) has, 4, plus 2 more at the services. 

Legalised crack! People can't get enough of it. The queues at the ones around here can be insane. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Mentioned the number of McDonalds my relatively small town (Stafford) has, 4, plus 2 more at the services. Starbucks, we have 3. Plus 3 Costa. 

By the generally accepted and historically accurate international standard, that makes Stafford immune to invasion.

Clever GIF by memecandy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not really into coffee to know one way or the other, but how do gastro pubs and the like generally compare to the chain coffee shops and the independents in terms of quality? Is it way off?

I'm no expert, but generally an independent coffee shop will make a coffee preferable to what I'd get on the rare occasions I end up in one of the chains.  Brand recognition is huge with people. I know people who will only go into Starbucks. I doubt they could blind taste test one from the other but the pull of that logo is crazy. There's probably the opposite going on with me. I'm naturally inclined to dislike the mainstream stuff. Probably why I'm a Villa fan.

Over here on one of the main streets in Dublin city centre (Dame Street), a Starbucks opened up literally across the road from, and directly facing, another Starbucks. This was obviously a perfectly acceptable business model for the company, such is the volume of coffee they sell, and you can be sure there was a Costa or an Insomnia or a Nero, or a Butlers or a Bewleys within spitting distance of both.

As someone who likes coffee but could easily live without it, I don't get the genuinely insane clamour for it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

Over here on one of the main streets in Dublin city centre (Dame Street), a Starbucks opened up literally across the road from, and directly facing, another Starbucks. 

Historically their business model was to go into a town or region and open two or three times the amount of coffee shops that the area could support - one on every corner. The convenience of that would put the local independents out of business and after a couple of years, once they'd got the town to themselves, they'd close a couple of the stores. Not sure if they still do that.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Historically their business model was to go into a town or region and open two or three times the amount of coffee shops that the area could support - one on every corner. The convenience of that would put the local independents out of business and after a couple of years, once they'd got the town to themselves, they'd close a couple of the stores. Not sure if they still do that.

Yeah I was aware of that sinister practice.  They'd be doing well to take over a main capital city centre. But just to update, the second of those Starbuckseses has since closed, but they were open in parallel for a good long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I know people who will only go into Starbucks. I doubt they could blind taste test one from the other but the pull of that logo is crazy.

Not convinced by that

Starbucks - Intense cloying taste but doesn't really taste like coffee should, there is something incredibly wrong in the taste of Starbucks coffee

Costa - Tastes pretty much of NOTHING. Costa Bean Buyer: Can we buy your absolutely cheapest beans please, not arsed if they've got no flavour

Caffé Nero - Actually tastes like coffee, not THE best but coffee nonetheless.

And for Coffee on the go, my tip is Wild Bean Cafe in BP Service Stations. The best you'll buy as a motorist, better than both Costa and Starbucks by a distance. Nero don't do drive-thru that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not convinced by that

Starbucks - Intense cloying taste but doesn't really taste like coffee should, there is something incredibly wrong in the taste of Starbucks coffee

Costa - Tastes pretty much of NOTHING. Costa Bean Buyer: Can we buy your absolutely cheapest beans please, not arsed if they've got no flavour

Caffé Nero - Actually tastes like coffee, not THE best but coffee nonetheless.

Yeah I think that’s really close to my summing up too.

I’ve not had hundreds of Starbucks, but when I have had one it’s been ‘off’ in some way, maybe like the coffee was burnt or the milk wasn’t quite right. Never quite nailed what’s wrong with it.

Costa, great if you like warm brown milk.

Nero, tastes like coffee.

But blind taste tests are a really good idea, we did it years back with the kids as a science project on a few different things like chocolate, colas, peanut butter. turned out their favourites weren’t actually their favourites on some things which they found fascinating and infuriating. They would re do the test until they could recognise their faves and not accidentally choose ones they’d insisted they didn’t like! Which we tried to explain to them was a weird way of thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

As chain coffees go, McDonalds is ok. Cheaper than rivals and a better taste as well. 

Yea I've said this previously.  Even in the coffee snobs world, it's classed as the best "major supplier of coffee", mainly due to the fact their working practices require them to change their filters more regularly, meaning fresher beans.  Starbucks has the lowest filter change frequency, meaning their coffee, unless you get there straight after filter change, is generally tasteless.

After "grabbing" a drive-thru coffee from starbucks; and I mean a medium black and a small cake thing (think it was Bakewell if I remember correctly) costing £8, I've never gone back to a Starbucks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea I've said this previously.  Even in the coffee snobs world, it's classed as the best "major supplier of coffee", mainly due to the fact their working practices require them to change their filters more regularly, meaning fresher beans.  Starbucks has the lowest filter change frequency, meaning their coffee, unless you get there straight after filter change, is generally tasteless.

After "grabbing" a drive-thru coffee from starbucks; and I mean a medium black and a small cake thing (think it was Bakewell if I remember correctly) costing £8, I've never gone back to a Starbucks. 

But Starbucks isn't tasteless and the taste is uncannily constant. This filter theory is not a very good one

McDonalds Coffee is one step up from Costa in terms of taste but that is a seriously small step on a huge flight of stairs.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

But Starbucks isn't tasteless and the taste is uncannily constant. This filter theory is not a very good one

McDonalds Coffee is one step up from Costa in terms of taste but that is a seriously small step on a huge flight of stairs.

I didn't come up with it.  It was on a TV show.. something like The One Show - Can't remember - my sources are weak as hell, but it wasn't a guess, it was an industry testing standard.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

from one of my favorite movies.

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s located in between the indoor market one side, and a sort of posh department store the other side at a point where buskers and lefty choirs and soup kitchens compete for the best spot. All human life is present, and I observe it through glass, sipping a macchiato.

So just altos and sopranos then?*

*(apologies - that was terrible.)

• Like 3

Â