Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

@bickster: Yes, I agree that the colour scheme you describe is what you describe is more common and more intuitive, and probably what I would have used myself if I ever create a similar map. But I just think he was going by the traffic light scheme (which I believe is generally frowned upon in web design) - green: good, red: bad, yellow: somewhere inbetween.

Just now, TB said:

@bickster: Yes, I agree that the colour scheme you describe is what you describe is more common and more intuitive, and probably what I would have used myself if I ever create a similar map. But I just think he was going by the traffic light scheme (which I believe is generally frowned upon in web design) - green: good, red: bad, yellow: somewhere inbetween.

The problem with that is that it seemingly makes a judgement on the data, where low instances here are bad and high instances are good. I'm not sure this type of data should have that inbulit bias.

He also shys away from blue completely because he's added the water in a colour, wheras blue should be the logical bottom of such a scale, colouring the sea is somewhat pointlessly beautifying the map

• Like 1

He could have chosen some other scheme (I became curious and looked up his site). I like these two:

metal-bands.jpg

water-european-languages.jpg

I think those colour schemes make more sense 🙂 And @HanoiVillan: In the second map, he actually explains the colours used.

Edit: Duh. On the actual webpage: https://jakubmarian.com/water-in-european-languages/

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, TB said:

He could have chosen some other scheme (I became curious and looked up his site). I like these two:

metal-bands.jpg

water-european-languages.jpg

I think those colour schemes make more sense 🙂 And @HanoiVillan: In the second map, he actually explains the colours used.

Yes both those are much better

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

The problem with that is that it seemingly makes a judgement on the data, where low instances here are bad and high instances are good. I'm not sure this type of data should have that inbulit bias.

He also shys away from blue completely because he's added the water in a colour, wheras blue should be the logical bottom of such a scale, colouring the sea is somewhat pointlessly beautifying the map

Oh, I completely agree, common geographical-type colour schemes (hues of blue below sea level - hues of green/yellow/orange/brown above) or a temperature-type colour scheme from cold blue to hot red is non-jugdemental - just stating the facts. As I said, I believe using the traffic light scheme is generally frowned upon in web design, unless you absolutely must deliver a Yes!/No! message, both due to accessability reasons and to the risk of suggesting some kind of bias.

• Like 1

Interesting. So not only is smallpox the only disease we've managed to wipe out, it's also a big reason as to why we call a vaccine a vaccine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 20:59, Genie said:

this-is-fantastic-47.gif

Fun fact. On average, Venus is not our closest neighbour, Mercury is.  Even funner fact. On average, Mercury is every planet in our solar system's closest neighbour.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Fun fact. On average, Venus is not our closest neighbour, Mercury is.  Even funner fact. On average, Mercury is every planet in our solar system's closest neighbour.

There's a CGP Grey Video on YouTube that explains it pretty well. 

It makes sense when you think about it though. On average the closest body in the Solar System for each planet will be the Sun, as it doesn't move relative to the planets whilst other planets will spend time on the other side of the Sun, so it stands to reason that the closest planet to each planet, is the closest planet to the Sun.

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

spacer.png

Needs corresponding maps for  'dinner vs. lunch' and 'what do you mean by supper?' 

Edited by mjmooney

On 12/03/2021 at 05:42, AVFC_Hitz said:

884 Starbucks in the UK is absurd. 

Even more so when you consider you're not really a coffee country.

Then again maybe that's EXACTLY why Starbucks are dominating haha. 

Â