Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Usually called an early kick-off in civilised parts

I knew that was coming. 

Yes, it is, but it’s also regularly referred to as “the lunch time kick off”. 

Another I’ve thought of, do people have a “pub lunch” or do they have a “pub dinner”?

Just to say, I don’t have any real leanings either way. I find myself using lunch/dinner, tea/dinner indeterminately.

8 hours ago, bickster said:

The Luncheon Bell never went in my School, the Dinner Bell did though

It was the lunch bell at my school. It went at lunch time. When everyone ate their packed lunches. In the lunch hall. From their lunchboxes

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It was the lunch bell at my school. It went at lunch time. When everyone ate their packed lunches. In the lunch hall. From their lunchboxes

This school taught you not to wear socks

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Was reading it thinking you can apply the same to food, it'll be the empire obviously but what we regard as "Chinese" food is largely Cantonese (and out of interest in germany its not, Chinese food here is a weird mix of "Asian" with no real identity and its shit) 

The Cantonese food we eat in the UK has next-to-no relationship to the food eaten in Hong Kong or Guangzhou either. Cantonese people had either the good fortune or misfortune (depending how you consider it) to generally be among the first waves of immigrants from Asia to the UK, and as such were met by a British public who were much less adventurous in their food than they are today, less tolerant of spice and strong flavours. Which is why Cantonese food from 'Chinese takeaways' is near-universal chicken-dippers-in-jam shite. In my experience there are very few decent Chinese restaurants in this country - I'm lucky to live close to one of the few I've found, the Ruby Cantonese in Stourbridge - and having worked with a man of Cantonese parentage who grew up with parents in the takeaway trade, and talking about this with him extensively, there is not really any pretense that anything we eat in this country is even particularly close to real Cantonese food. I've also been to Hong Kong a few times and food there is approximately a million times better than the crap we have here.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Cantonese food we eat in the UK has next-to-no relationship to the food eaten in Hong Kong or Guangzhou either. Cantonese people had either the good fortune or misfortune (depending how you consider it) to generally be among the first waves of immigrants from Asia to the UK, and as such were met by a British public who were much less adventurous in their food than they are today, less tolerant of spice and strong flavours. Which is why Cantonese food from 'Chinese takeaways' is near-universal chicken-dippers-in-jam shite. In my experience there are very few decent Chinese restaurants in this country - I'm lucky to live close to one of the few I've found, the Ruby Cantonese in Stourbridge - and having worked with a man of Cantonese parentage who grew up with parents in the takeaway trade, and talking about this with him extensively, there is not really any pretense that anything we eat in this country is even particularly close to real Cantonese food. I've also been to Hong Kong a few times and food there is approximately a million times better than the crap we have here.

We used to go to a Chinese in Liverpool (now long gone) where there were two menus, one in English, one in Mandarin (I presume).  We used to go there with our boss, Ernie Woo. He ordered for us off the proper menu. Hell I miss that place. Recently another restaurant has opened up that has mainly Chinese customers, I might try it out at some point, I'll just need an interpreter.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

We used to go to a Chinese in Liverpool (now long gone) where there were two menus, one in English, one in Mandarin (I presume).  We used to go there with our boss, Ernie Woo. He ordered for us off the proper menu. Hell I miss that place. Recently another restaurant has opened up that has mainly Chinese customers, I might try it out at some point, I'll just need an interpreter.

Restaurants that actual Chinese people go to are usually a promising sign.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Restaurants that actual Chinese people go to are usually a promising sign.

Depend if they are going for the food or the secret mah jong game in the upstairs room that requires a special knock

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If there’s a match at 12:30pm on a Saturday, is it a “dinner time kick off”?

I think it would have been back when I Wor A Lad, yes. However, such things were so rare as to be almost nonexistent. Football was 3.00pm on Saturdays. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid playing football in the park, jumpers for goal posts, isn’t it, not half. If some kid had announced at 12:30 pm he was going home for ‘lunch’ there’s a fair chance that he’d still be known as lunchy lunchy posh bollocks, or ‘lunchy’ for short, to this very day.

And we’d have had his dinner money off him, first day back in school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Hong Kong and Macau would have been the west's only real exposure to China for a long time and would have probably made cantonese feel like the main Chinese language for us. Its only really the last 20/30 years that 'mainland' China has been widely accessible. I'd wager 95% of the Chinese takeaways in the UK when we were younger were Cantonese people originally from HK settling in the UK. IMO.

On a related note and map related, there's a fun fact about all the Italian-surnamed traditional fish and chip shops in Ireland (or maybe it's only in Dublin) that something like 90% of them - who made their way here in the 50s and 60s - are all from the one Italian village.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note and map related, there's a fun fact about all the Italian-surnamed traditional fish and chip shops in Ireland (or maybe it's only in Dublin) that something like 90% of them - who made their way here in the 50s and 60s - are all from the one Italian village.

I wonder if it's the the same for all the one's in South Wales?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I wonder if it's the the same for all the one's in South Wales?

Wouldn't surprise me. There was a mass exodus. I always found it a bit curious, because it's not like what they sell over here could be regarded as Italian cuisine in the first place. Maybe they just had this terrible urge to sell deep fried fish and chips and they were ex-communicated by the basil-eating locals.

Actually, here's an article on it. They're nearly all from the same region of 6 villages.

2. And, funnily enough, from the same place…

Val Di Comino

Almost all of the chipper families come from the same district of six villages in the Casalattico and Val Di Comino municipalities in the province of Frosinone in the Lazio region in the South of Italy, about 110km away from Rome. Up to 8,000 Irish-Italians have ancestors from Casalattico and nearby Picinisco. So now you know where to book your next holiday, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Wouldn't surprise me. There was a mass exodus. I always found it a bit curious, because it's not like what they sell over here could be regarded as Italian cuisine in the first place. Maybe they just had this terrible urge to sell deep fried fish and chips and they were ex-communicated by the basil-eating locals.

Actually, here's an article on it. They're nearly all from the same region of 6 villages.

It was much earlier in Wales 1890s onwards but yes again, they all came from the same small (but different) region

Italian immigrants to Wales, mainly originating from the Apennine Mountains and in particular the town of Bardi, established a network of cafés, ice cream parlours and fish and chip shops in Wales from the 1890s onwards.[2] In the Rhondda Valley the cafés became known as "Bracchis" after an early café owner.[2] The number of Italian cafés in Wales was more than 300 before World War Two. 11 of these are still run by the same families.[3] The brothers Frank and Aldo Berni, who started in business in Merthyr Tydfil, went on to found the Berni Inn chain.[2] Ystrad Mynach has seen many Italian cafes over the years, owned by families such as Lusardi, Massari, Bracchi and Sidoli. The last Italian cafe in the town, John's Cafe, was owned by the Sidoli family and closed in 2017 after over 50 years of trading. [4]

Wiki

• Like 2

always surprises me that theres no real Italian fast food set up in the UK, the love of the food is there, the set up for it cant be that hard and the margins on it should be great and the freshness of it would be questionable (for that reason i wont go to a £10+ for a pasta dish italian restaurant) im picturing like a chinese / indian style set up £5 for a plastic tub of food 

there used to be an italian deli type place on station hill in kiddy that did £3 foil trays of spag bol or lasagne back in the late 90s and thats the only one ive ever seen 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

there used to be an italian deli type place on station hill in kiddy that did £3 foil trays of spag bol or lasagne back in the late 90s and thats the only one ive ever seen 

If they put bol anywhere near spag then they weren't Italian. Which is odd, as they were definitely Italian. Perhaps they knew their audience :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Â