Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

On 14/03/2021 at 09:30, mjmooney said:

I think I've asked this before, but how do Americans pronounce "Worcester, Massachussetts"? 

I think they pronounce "Greenwich Village" the British way ("Grennitch"), which slightly surprised me. 

Us Massholes pronounce it the proper way, but people from outside the northeast get it wrong sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2021 at 04:05, Xela said:

Legalised crack! People can't get enough of it. The queues at the ones around here can be insane. 

When I was a yoot I was hooked on Big Macs. Glad that I had a high metabolism back then.

I'm glad I mapped out an alternative diet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

EzhDr5zWEAIhGkB?format=jpg&name=large

Erm... yes. Most people live near their place of work. Some people (particularly in the south-east) have a longer commute. Am I missing something? 

Edited by mjmooney

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Erm... yes. Most people live near their place of work. Some people (particularly in the south-east) have a longer commute. Am I missing something? 

Not really, I just thought it was a nice presentation of data

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2021 at 14:52, HanoiVillan said:

The Cantonese food we eat in the UK has next-to-no relationship to the food eaten in Hong Kong or Guangzhou either. Cantonese people had either the good fortune or misfortune (depending how you consider it) to generally be among the first waves of immigrants from Asia to the UK, and as such were met by a British public who were much less adventurous in their food than they are today, less tolerant of spice and strong flavours. Which is why Cantonese food from 'Chinese takeaways' is near-universal chicken-dippers-in-jam shite. In my experience there are very few decent Chinese restaurants in this country - I'm lucky to live close to one of the few I've found, the Ruby Cantonese in Stourbridge - and having worked with a man of Cantonese parentage who grew up with parents in the takeaway trade, and talking about this with him extensively, there is not really any pretense that anything we eat in this country is even particularly close to real Cantonese food. I've also been to Hong Kong a few times and food there is approximately a million times better than the crap we have here.

In our family we always said “going for a Ruby” rather than a Chinese.

(Hanoi and I have already established that I come from the proper Black Country and he grew up picking his nose with a knife and fork.)

I’m a huge fan of Szechuan. First time I had that spice I thought I was having an allergic reaction! Lucky over here in the US to have great Chinese in the majority of major cities. (See maps OT)

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I’m a huge fan of Szechuan. First time I had that spice I thought I was having an allergic reaction! Lucky over here in the US to have great Chinese in the majority of major cities. (See maps OT)

Ah yeah I've loved the Szechuan cuisine I've had. One of many parts of China I want to go to. 

Remember when we used to travel places? That was fun :(

• Sad 1

On 20/04/2021 at 10:32, bickster said:

I wonder if it's the the same for all the one's in South Wales?

Isn't there a huge tradition of Italian ice-cream parlours in South Wales? 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And Glasgow. Lots of WWII Italian POWs didn't bother going home. 

On 19/04/2021 at 21:52, HanoiVillan said:

The Cantonese food we eat in the UK has next-to-no relationship to the food eaten in Hong Kong or Guangzhou either. Cantonese people had either the good fortune or misfortune (depending how you consider it) to generally be among the first waves of immigrants from Asia to the UK, and as such were met by a British public who were much less adventurous in their food than they are today, less tolerant of spice and strong flavours. Which is why Cantonese food from 'Chinese takeaways' is near-universal chicken-dippers-in-jam shite. In my experience there are very few decent Chinese restaurants in this country - I'm lucky to live close to one of the few I've found, the Ruby Cantonese in Stourbridge - and having worked with a man of Cantonese parentage who grew up with parents in the takeaway trade, and talking about this with him extensively, there is not really any pretense that anything we eat in this country is even particularly close to real Cantonese food. I've also been to Hong Kong a few times and food there is approximately a million times better than the crap we have here.

A few from the menu from my last trip to China 

C88137E4-6886-44E8-B0BD-DF792EF0E302.jpeg

A7C7FBD0-50B7-4988-85FF-C798A5A83129.jpeg

0474CB40-AF16-4C75-A295-40BD9D28B6BF.jpeg

6087DFDF-5374-4154-8A4D-917501607B87.jpeg

18FC95E0-2734-44A5-94A6-72993BF6F552.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yep, Fulgonis and Sidolis are the ones that spring to mind but that again, ties in with the bracchi culture.

Where my family are from, the local bakery was Ferraris

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep, Fulgonis and Sidolis are the ones that spring to mind but that again, ties in with the bracchi culture.

Where my family are from, the local bakery was Ferraris

Here is me thinking Sidolis was a brand that was limited to Shropshire. 

Â