Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

23 minutes ago, a m ole said:

population density is what always surprises me, areas of Paris are absolutely ridiculous considering it’s almost a 3-storey city.

5 Storey not 3 (and many will 6 as they've built into the attic)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

population density is what always surprises me, areas of Paris are absolutely ridiculous considering it’s almost a 3-storey city.

Yes, Paris is quite tightly packed, but the densest city in Europe might be Barcelona. It certainly has the densest square kilometre, and here it is:

878.jpg?width=1920&quality=85&auto=forma

(There's a top 15 here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/mar/22/most-densely-populated-square-kilometres-europe-mapped)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

34.7% according to wiki

Regardless Doha is in the 90%+ bracket

...and 90% of the population of Doha is employed at the airport to wander around doing unnecessary menial jobs. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

US state capitals always seem to not be the most-populated city in the state too. Think Phoenix is the biggest state capital?

Plenty of countries like that too. Australia and Brazil off the top of my head

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, Paris is quite tightly packed, but the densest city in Europe might be Barcelona. It certainly has the densest square kilometre, and here it is:

(There's a top 15 here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/mar/22/most-densely-populated-square-kilometres-europe-mapped)

Sounds like hell on earth, and I live in Zone 2.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

US state capitals always seem to not be the most-populated city in the state too. Think Phoenix is the biggest state capital?

Like British county towns. 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Looking at the dot seems like this is more L’Hospitalet than Barcelona itself. Having attended a few house parties there when I was living in BCN...I’m happy to confirm...what a sh*thole! Every bit as bad as you imagine the most densely populated part of the world to be! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

37 million bods in Tokyo, wow 

you go the top of the sky tree and its incredible, it just keeps going in every direction, including the various centres that you can see rise above the rest of the city and then at night when you look across the skyline and see all the red light warning indicators on top of the tall buildings

got the bullet train out of there and you're obviously going at a decent speed but not full whack at the start, the time it takes to actually get out of the city is crazy, is just keeps going, my only other experience of that is shanghai by car, that was over an hour and im still surrounded by high rise and mexico city by place which a swear took about 15 to 20 mins of flying to clear the city but tokyo is different because for its size it never really feels like it has a true centre, it has some differing parts but no true downtown or core unless you rope in a huge area

and what i learned when i was there is why their cities are so big, on the bullet train i sat by the window ready to see the country...you see hardly anything, its a lot of tunnels, the country is mountainous and largely "inhospitable" or at least not comfortable to live meaning that people have been pushed in to the city, i didnt realise how bad it was until i saw it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Tokyo is different because for its size it never really feels like it has a true centre, it has some differing parts but no true downtown or core unless you rope in a huge area. 

Much like Los Angeles, I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

you go the top of the sky tree and its incredible, it just keeps going in every direction, including the various centres that you can see rise above the rest of the city and then at night when you look across the skyline and see all the red light warning indicators on top of the tall buildings

got the bullet train out of there and you're obviously going at a decent speed but not full whack at the start, the time it takes to actually get out of the city is crazy, is just keeps going, my only other experience of that is shanghai by car, that was over an hour and im still surrounded by high rise and mexico city by place which a swear took about 15 to 20 mins of flying to clear the city but tokyo is different because for its size it never really feels like it has a true centre, it has some differing parts but no true downtown or core unless you rope in a huge area

and what i learned when i was there is why their cities are so big, on the bullet train i sat by the window ready to see the country...you see hardly anything, its a lot of tunnels, the country is mountainous and largely "inhospitable" or at least not comfortable to live meaning that people have been pushed in to the city, i didnt realise how bad it was until i saw it

Flew over Lake Pontchartrain and thought it was a sea, it went on and on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Much like Los Angeles, I'd imagine. 

Yeah LA is another weird place for different reasons, it has so much low rise and then wraps itself over the hills and then it has infrastructure but not as good as you would expect for such a big city so you end up on the bus or on a metro to santa Monica making 37 odd stops making it feel slow and long, I thought it would be a good idea to walk down sunset boulevard, regretted it about an hour in, it's huge 

How LA came about would be fascinating or boring, I still don't fully understand how they have all the different cities with LA County, utd a right mish mash

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah LA is another weird place for different reasons, it has so much low rise and then wraps itself over the hills and then it has infrastructure but not as good as you would expect for such a big city so you end up on the bus or on a metro to santa Monica making 37 odd stops making it feel slow and long, I thought it would be a good idea to walk down sunset boulevard, regretted it about an hour in, it's huge 

How LA came about would be fascinating or boring, I still don't fully understand how they have all the different cities with LA County, utd a right mish mash

The reason is largely, if not quite entirely, racism. Creating municipalities allowed white residents to place exclusionary policies around residency and schooling and keep their neighbourhoods white. Some famous parts of LA - like Glendale and Burbank for example - were 'Sundown Towns', just as much as places were in the Deep South.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

As Dre once sang "Compton, Long Beach, Inglewooooooood....South Central out to the West Side, it's California Love"

• Like 1

Â