Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2020 at 00:46, Xann said:

sizeofcountries.jpg

It's funny watching that. So many countries that are so much bigger than you are aware of. And some really big economies that are such tiny countries. Like GB and Italy. Not sure why Norway is listed smaller than it is mind, but I guess it's definition of land and islands. 

Having antarctica there also seems a bit weird. Isn't land basically a term used for geological surfaces that doesn't include water? I thought antarctica was more or less ice. 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Having antarctica there also seems a bit weird. Isn't land basically a term used for geological surfaces that doesn't include water? I thought antarctica was more or less ice. 

The Arctic is ice, Antarctica is land with ice on top of it. 

If my memory of year nine Geography stands up to scrutiny,  anyway.

• Like 1

A bolitical map, so I've put it in spoiler tags for those who aren't interested (apologies, but I found it interesting, and maybe somebody else might):

Spoiler

A map of where the postwar anticommunist extermination programs happened around the world, how long they lasted, and roughly how many died. The massacre in Indonesia - also the subject of the brilliant documentary 'The Act Of Killing', which you might have seen/heard of - was so enormous, and yet remains very little known in this country (needless to say, our government's role appears to have been to fund, arm, support and cover up the massacre).

EYtqK6lWkAMlztY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The map comes from Vincent Bevins' book 'The Jakarta Method': https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1264220866340151296

If you want a challenge, there is one big error on the map; can you find it?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

EfSoHhhWAAA0AhN?format=png&name=900x900

You might have to zoom in on Europe. 

Pedant alert:  it’s got Malta wrong.

Unless there’s been a recent change, the most popular soft drink there is Kinnie.

It’s awesome, a bit like Coke, but with actual identifiable tastes of things in it.

If ever you’ve been to Malta and seen the dead cats, the dead rabbits, plastic pollution, and chips all floating gently in the harbour on sea water That’s slightly psychedelic with a sheen of petrol, and you’ve thought to yourself ‘I wonder what that tastes like?’.

Kinnie.

kinnie-maltas-own-favourite-soft-drink-1

(It’s actually really nice)

6 hours ago, ml1dch said:

EfSoHhhWAAA0AhN?format=png&name=900x900

You might have to zoom in on Europe. 

Fake News

Coke isn't even sold in Cuba nor North Korea (Trade Embargo). Pepsi is also more popular in many of the Arabic countries and much of Canada

• Like 1

On 18/08/2020 at 21:01, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brazil larger than the US? Or is it because it’s missing Alaska?

It's by chunks of landmass, the other foreign territories are marked the same way with the parent nation shown.

• Like 1

Â