Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

11 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

In the light green (30-40% Irish) areas of Northern Ireland, what do the other 60-70% of the population consider themselves to be?

This is only a guess, but, I guess a combination of British, English, Scots something, ‘other’ etc., none of which outweigh the 30 / 40 ticking the Irish box on the census.

I presume its one of those where if all the students had got their shit together there’s a good chance they could have got it to be Jedi.

Just looked up the 2011 NI census data, it’s as per my guess, it was a free vote so people went for Irish. Northern Irish, British, English, Scots, Traveller, Irish Gaelic, Polish, Lithuanian, Thai and on and on and on.

The pre centage of people taking the survey in NI, 12% of them were born elsewhere, such as Malaysia (care homes and nursing?).

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was assuming it was done off the largest self identifying cohort. So that would make sense. 

I was most surprised that west Wales wasn't as densely 'welsh' as the valleys. Perhaps that's the students. Either that or meibion have a new recruiting tool eh?! 

My east Midlands geography was never that hot - is that Leicester all purple in the middle there?

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was assuming it was done off the largest self identifying cohort. So that would make sense. 

I was most surprised that west Wales wasn't as densely 'welsh' as the valleys. Perhaps that's the students. Either that or meibion have a new recruiting tool eh?! 

My east Midlands geography was never that hot - is that Leicester all purple in the middle there?

So, you know the mix of Carmarthenshire?

It’s actually referred to as ‘little england’.

Interesting that Leicester City and pretty much only Leicester City outside of cosmopolitan London does not predominantly identify as English but as British.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

Interesting that Leicester City and pretty much only Leicester City outside of cosmopolitan London does not predominantly identify as English but as British.

Indeed. Apart from them, the only ones who think they're British are Irish. 

• Haha 1

Two possible explanations spring to mind, which are 1) it's a race thing, and 2) it's a politics thing, but neither are completely satisfactory because the former has a Birmingham problem and the latter a Liverpool problem. I guess it could be a combination of both, or indeed neither 🤷‍♂️

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I believe the second one is 'population today'.

I assumed that but there isn’t 6.8 million people in Ireland today

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ireland + Northern Ireland is about 6.8 million.

I knew I was being thick! 
Didn’t factor in NI’s population 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Am I being thick? There's two maps but only one heading? What's the difference?

Sorry, its population by county comparing 1841 and the last census. I found it interesting to see how badly the west and rural Ireland has depopulated and failed to recover to pre famine level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Sorry, its population by county comparing 1841 and the last census. I found it interesting to see how badly the west and rural Ireland has depopulated and failed to recover to pre famine level. 

Yeah I understand it now.

It's fascinating stuff. My family come from West Cork which was one of the worst affected areas (if not the worst) during the famine so I've read a lot about it before.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â