Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

j831ho2lrpi51.png?width=640&height=461&c

The cost of 1GB of mobile data by country

Interesting, but it's not that expensive in Bulgaria. They must be doing it by average package price and bit including minutes and messages.

I pay £15 for 9gb a month 2000 minutes (+200 for calls to UK) and 90 TV channels.

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Iowa County Map.  The devil's work. 

EN4IYzuXkAAUOFf.jpg

All the names look like the kind you would expect.   Names from the countries that initially settled North America, with a bunch of Native American names thrown in.   Then suddenly, Palo Alto, Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo.   In the upper Midwest.   WTF.   Those are California names.   I work in Palo Alto.   It means "Tall Tree".  This town is named after a huge Redwood.   What did Iowa name the county after?  a particularly large tumbleweed?

Edited by il_serpente
spelling
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think all parents should name their children using the Iowa County Map. 

Pocahontas Calhoun would be my choice. 

Boone Winnebago is my pen name 

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

All the names look like the kind you would expect.   Names from the countries that initially settled North America, with a bunch of Native American names thrown in.   Then suddenly, Palo Alto, Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo.   In the upper Midwest.   WTF.   Those are California names.   I work in Palo Alto.   It means "Tall Tree".  This town is named after a huge Redwood.   What did Iowa name the county after?  a particularly large tumbleweed?

Surely thats just Spanish and not Californian?

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

Surely thats just Spanish and not Californian?

🤔  Does this mean everything I thought I knew is wrong?

You expect to see a lot of Spanish place names in California and southwestern states.  In the mid to late 19th century when Iowa's counties were named I wouldn't have thought there would have been many Spanish speakers at all passing through the area, let alone enough to influence the naming of 3 counties.  When I lived in neighboring states in the 70's I don't recall seeing any signs of Spanish or Mexican influence when passing through Iowa.  White as the pure driven snow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

🤔  Does this mean everything I thought I knew is wrong?

You expect to see a lot of Spanish place names in California and southwestern states.  In the mid to late 19th century when Iowa's counties were named I wouldn't have thought there would have been many Spanish speakers at all passing through the area, let alone enough to influence the naming of 3 counties.  When I lived in neighboring states in the 70's I don't recall seeing any signs of Spanish or Mexican influence when passing through Iowa.  White as the pure driven snow.

All three named after battles in the American - Mexican War according to Wiki

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 02:02, ml1dch said:

EbwIdQwXQAAN3az?format=jpg&name=medium

For some unknown reason I read this in my head in the style of a sports commentator similar to David Coleman:

"Well here we are and first off, it's a complete surprise to me at least , that brown sauce has such a small showing across the UK, when, really I always believed it was a national favorite, but there you go, and look at this gravy, not only swathing across the middle of upper England, but literally bathing the majority of Wales with it's brown salty nuane of texture and salty goodness - but NO! even more interesting is the spread of ketchup. I mean, just look at that. In some places it's not even dominate - ketchup on chips at one time was de rigueur, if you pardon my French, but now ketchup is sadly starting to look like it's on the decline, seeding it's position to of course, relative newcomer on the block, curry sauce. We love, we want it - slather in on everything fried. Curry sauce is really where it's at in 1988. Mushy peas are making a real surprise push in the Cornwall region - who knows if thats the heavy metals in all the blood supplies of the locals down there, but really, what I can;'t abide is Wiltshire - Is that Wiltshire? Salad Cream? Please, where is your pride to be British? Salad cream on chips? Lord have mercy, God Save the Queen and shame on you Wiltshire."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wiltshire - Is that Wiltshire?

Mistaken identity, surely? Isn’t Wiltshire the tomato sauce one? Still, **** ‘em, like you say “shame on you Wiltshire”, put the bottle down and go get me my ladle, my gravy jug of vengeance.

• Haha 2

Â