The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Was just reading the Chris Sutton article and came across this one. Not sure its been posted.

Also, how many **** do I give about Chris Sutton's opinion? Surprisingly not many.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34541942

Tim Sherwood not frozen out of Aston Villa meeting

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood and his side's style of playing are under scrutiny before Saturday's game away to Premier League champions Chelsea.

Speculation about Sherwood's future increased  when owner Randy Lerner met club officials in the United States last week, with the Villa boss absent.

But BBC Sport's Pat Murphy says the meeting was not behind Sherwood's back.

Sherwood chose not to attend as he wanted to work with his squad, who have four points from eight league games.

The meeting in the US was between Lerner, chief executive Tom Fox, director of scouting and recruitment Paddy Reilly and sporting director Hendrik Almstadt, while Villa's retail and commercial representatives also attended.

Sherwood was also invited but, with a break in the Premier League because of international fixtures, chose to familiarise himself with a squad of players that had a major overhaul in the summer.

He received a full debrief this week on the meeting, which had originally been scheduled three weeks ago.

After spending £55m on players during the summer, Villa have won one, lost six and drawn one in the Premier League.

Along with results, the style of play is also a concern for the Villa hierarchy, with a recent cautious approach and surprising tactical substitutions a contrast to the swashbuckling style that endeared Sherwood to the fans when he was appointed in February.

He saved the club from relegation and got them to an FA Cup final -which they lost to Arsenal.

Villa assistant manager Ray Wilkins believes it would be a "huge mistake" to sack 46-year-old Sherwood.

"He's an up-and-coming manager, he did extremely well at Tottenham and, let's not forget, it was only six or seven months ago that we were in the FA Cup final and staved off relegation," Wilkins told Talksport. 

"So we really shouldn't be talking about this type of situation."

Yeah I read that last night, that's why I said that the board and the manager have both been briefing the press in different directions...

He's talking about himself in third person again :wacko:

Link

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood has been fronting up to the media after rumours emerged that he could lose his job should Villa lose to Chelsea on Saturday.

The Englishman is in defiant mood: "Once I get through this period everyone will benefit. Aston Villa will and Tim Sherwood will," he said.

"I'm a football manager and am responsible for results. That's what I'm paid for. I'll stand up to this."

To be fair I dont see anything wrong in what he said there

• Like 1

Link

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood has been fronting up to the media after rumours emerged that he could lose his job should Villa lose to Chelsea on Saturday.

The Englishman is in defiant mood: "Once I get through this period everyone will benefit. Aston Villa will and Tim Sherwood will," he said.

"I'm a football manager and am responsible for results. That's what I'm paid for. I'll stand up to this."

What a **** bellend.

He doesn't make things easy for himself, being so absurdly dislikable.

• Like 1

Once we get through this period Tim we will be playing championship football next season

I bet Tim Sherwood would give press briefings out loud, in the bathroom mirror, talking about how Tim Sherwood takes responsibility, even though his players have underperformed.

Anyone posted this article yet? Funny how Gregg Evans has been writing up several pro Sherwood articles recently and is all of a sudden knowledge about the way in which we conducted our summer transfers.

Link

Aston Villa analysis: A detailed study of what is going wrong for Tim Sherwood behind the scenes

Aston Villa are struggling to win football matches. The problems, however, lie much deeper.

Divides have grown between the club’s talent spotters and boss Tim Sherwood who privately remains angry at failing to land a number of his top targets.

Director of recruitment Paddy Riley and sporting director Hendrik Almstadt had a major say on who arrived at Villa Park this summer.

It was their detailed input that persuaded owner Randy Lerner to invest in young foreign recruits rather than the tried and trusted Premier League performers that Sherwood so desperately craved.

In the end the manager agreed on every arrival but it was a reluctant approval rather than a glowing ‘yes’.

After a chaotic summer we look back on how the decisions were made in Sherwood’s first active transfer window.

How did Villa select their summer signings?

Sherwood identified the areas that needed strengthening and then discussed the best way forward with the recruitment team. He pointed out a number of individuals who he specifically wanted - Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Rudy Gestede to name a few. But there were plenty he missed out on. Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend were both discussed but Adama Traore was seen as the best way forward. Sherwood also preferred Tom Cleverley and Estaban Cambiasso but the club felt that Jordan Veretout and Idrissa Gana represented better value for money.

Villa looked long and hard at their options. When Sherwood suggested Gestede for example, he was shown a list of alternatives in his specific position based on statistical findings. Every player on the list was watched live by at least one of Riley’s scouts and the feedback was outlined in detail. Data was then used to help find the most suitable player for the best value for money. The final decisions were not solely based on watching video footage and crunching the numbers, however for Sherwood, he only set eyes on some of the players for the first time in the flesh when they arrived in the Midlands.

How much of a say did Sherwood have in the squad changes?

Not quite as much as he would have liked. Not only did he lose his two key players, he failed to land a number of top targets. As hard as he tried to convince Christian Benteke to stay at the club, he knew he was always fighting a losing battle. Fabian Delph’s situation was different. The captain wanted assurances that Villa were moving in the right direction and signing players to take the club forward. He was constantly communicating with Riley and Sherwood before his exit to establish which players were coming in. That he wasn’t filled with hope is one of the reasons for his departure.

After those two exits the manager knew it would be tough which is why he wanted more experience. Asmir Begovic was offered big bucks to sign but he eventually decided on Chelsea. Emmanuel Adebayor was as good as done until he decided that he wasn’t ready for the move. Gayle and Victor Moses were looked at but considered not good value for money. Transfers are evolving and becoming more detailed these days. Those who choose to ignore stats-based findings are slipping behind. But those who place too much importance on them are taking big risks.

What was the message to the manager when the transfer window shut?

Sherwood was not set unrealistic targets. The message from Lerner and chief executive Tom Fox was simple: Keep Villa in the Premier League. Finishing 17th again would be seen as another disappointing campaign but dropping out of the top-flight now would have massive financial implications on the club. When Fox arrived he said that Villa should be looking to finish in the top-half, at least, every season.

The long-term aim is that Villa can get back to that position but they must overcome what already looks like another battle against relegation. Sherwood hasn’t quite got the team that he hoped for at Villa but he should be doing better with this group of players. They are simply under-performing. If he’s given the time to get to know some of Villa’s young stars as well as the teenagers he nurtured at Tottenham, the Bodymoor Heath Academy could once again flourish. The pressure is on him to find his best first-team, though, as it will only be the senior results that save him.

But is the squad good enough?

Looking in from the outside it was hard to predict Villa’s outcome when the transfer window had closed. One national newspaper were very bold with their claims that Villa could be the surprise package of the season. If every player lived up to their potential then, yes, Villa might have took the league by storm but clearly this was always going to be a season of transition.

The bookies had the claret and blues among their relegation favourites at the start of the campaign and not much has changed since. Sherwood told those close to him that he was worried when the transfer window closed. He felt that he was having to work with a weaker squad than when he first arrived - and that was a side in the bottom three. The energy of Delph and Cleverley is sorely missed. We all knew that Benteke would be hard to replace but his true worth is now starting to show. Without the Belgian, Villa could easily have been relegated in each of their last three seasons.

So if it does go wrong, who is to blame?

It’s Sherwood’s name all over the back pages this week as pressure mounts on the boss but the responsibility should be collective. Riley, Almstadt and the network of scouts sourced a large chunk of the players and both Fox and Lerner decided that Sherwood was the best man to take the club forward. The players, some of whom have relegation release clauses in their contracts, also need to shoulder some of the blame.

If Villa are to move forward the recruitment and managerial team need to work in tandem. Managers and coaches have long been led to believe that the only way to truly understand the game is to have played it. But just because you haven’t, it doesn’t mean that you can’t be effective. When asked about the set-up earlier this season, Sherwood wrapped it up nicely by saying: “As long as everyone sticks to their expertise then there is no problem.” It’s as simple as that.

One half of me says I would actually like someone like small heaths manager...or actually that manager.  Up coming and proven to be able to get something out of a shit team down there.

The other half of me says that we're in such dire straights, that once the lack of PL experience fails you...you have nothing else to get us out of the shit.  Wanting to prove yourself, however much you might want to, is not going to cut the mustard up here.

I'm really confused about who in this thread is actually Tim Sherwood, as they're all talking about Tim Sherwood and Tim Sherwood talks about Tim Sherwood.

Crap, am I Tim Sherwood?

• Like 3

I'm really confused about who in this thread is actually Tim Sherwood, as they're all talking about Tim Sherwood and Tim Sherwood talks about Tim Sherwood.

Crap, am I Tim Sherwood?

Tim Sherwood doesn't think so.

Crap, am I Tim Sherwood?

Tim Sherwood doesn't think so.

Aha! Outed!

Link

What a **** bellend.

What is wrong with that quote?

Says he takes responsibility for results, people on here have been hammering recently about an article that has zero quotes suggesting he blames the fact some players are not his signings for the poor results.

He comes out says it is his responsibility and he still gets pelters, the guy can't win.

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

Link

What a **** bellend.

??? nothing wrong with what he has said there, are you just chucking insults at him because it's the popular thing to do at the moment?

Well there are two things wrong with it in my view. Not only the third person stuff but saying he takes full responsibility is just laughable after the last couple of weeks.

Edited by TrentVilla
  • Like 1

Link

What a **** bellend.

Says he takes responsible for results, people on here have been hammering recently about an article that has zero quotes in it that suggests he blames the fact some players are not his signings for the poor results.

He comes out says it is his responsibility and he still gets pelters, the guy can't win.

Tbh there's not anything wrong with it apart from Tim Sherwood referring to himself as Tim Sherwood again, which is just a bit silly. Tim Sherwood.

He even managed to say he will take responsibility, without immediately blaming someone else.

Link

What a **** bellend.

Says he takes responsible for results, people on here have been hammering recently about an article that has zero quotes in it that suggests he blames the fact some players are not his signings for the poor results.

It's just the easy thing to do lately. FWIW the problem with this club isn't even Sherwood

• Like 1

Â