The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Then your point is flawed. Massively.

I disagree with having too many defenders in the squad. What is your problem?

I don't have a problem (very odd way to respond).

I'm just pointing out that your point is flawed as you've literally just said you don't see the point in having a big squad.

Last season we had 5 centrebacks and still struggled with availability and consistency. The extra defenders we have compared to last season will hardly be a huge drain on wages, especially when we've made savings elsewhere. Defence also remains a huge priority as it's years since we had a good one. So it makes total sense that we invested in that area of the pitch

Edited by Stevo985

But let's say we pick up 3-4 injuries in that area at least fir the first time in years, we are covered. In addition if you defend poorly like ours tend to we have alternative players to bring in so competition between them will only in theory improve defensive displays

Too many central defenders. Feels like he is doing a Tottenham/West Ham/Redknapp and buying too many players in the hope that some will make it and throw away the rest, and then start over next transfer window. Most of the players he has bought are of equal quality to those who are here. Talent wise, I don't think Ilori is any better than Okore, and it makes the buy of Crespo obsolete. Then you have those 3 with Senderos and Clark competing against Richards and Lescott. That is 5 central defenders on the bench!!!

That's such a **** lazy comparison. Please try harder.

I also love how you know just how good these players are when a few months back you'd never heard of them. You seem 100% sure Ilori and Crespo are here to play centre half and nothing else, so thanks for the ITK knowledge.

What tha f*** do you know about what I know? Try harder yourself.

Where the f*** are you going to play 7 central defenders and 4 fullbacks? Or is Crespo and Ilori fullbacks? Then what is the point of 6 fullbacks?

It can't be so hard to misunderstand what my point is, but there you go.

I didn't misunderstand. I said it was **** lazy. You're comparing him to Redknapp because he has a deep squad. It's completely unfounded and clearly meant as a slur.

Ok I'll have a go...

RB

Hutton

Bacuna

CB

Richards

Lescott

Okore

Clark

Senderos

LB

Amavi

Richardson

Utility

Ilori

Crespo.

Wasn't that hard. Bacuna will also play wing/AM. Richardson the same in a pinch, though most think he isn't good enough full stop. It only takes 3 injuries and that depth chart starts to pay dividends.

You forgot one CB. Put him in for you. And utility players want to play as well. 

You have to factor in that whilst Senderos (for example) is here, he may not be able to play. It could be that he may not be wanted by the manager but was unable to shift him along, in CNZ style.

There's 34 more league games, 2 cup competitions plus international games and another transfer window to go in this season alone. I can't even begin to understand why a bit of strength in a crucial area of the pitch could be a bad thing.

Outside of Richards and Lescott, I can't see many of them being on massive wages anyway. With the TV money for next season being so much, along with the margins in the table being so fine, the cost of having a bit more quality in the team is easily offset. An extra 6 points in the season can easily add up to an extra few mill in the bank, and if squad strength can help us get that then brilliant.

With Okore, Crespo and Senderos already out, let's say Lescott picks up a knock in training. That leaves Richards and Clark at CB. Who if not Ilori is supposed to be on the bench? You may say that's for one or two games only, but every possible point counts for Villa. 

I think our squad of 25 will be interesting.

Guzan

Bunn

Steer

Hutton

Amavi     U-21

Crespo

Richardson

Richards

Lescott

Ilori

Okore

Clark

Bacuna

Gueye

Westwood

Veretout

Gardner

Sanchez

Cole

Gil

Traore    U-21

Grealish U-21

Sinclair

Gabby

Ayew

Kozak

Gestede

Senderos or Nzogbia might be registered as the 25th player but I doubt it? 

Edited by KHV

I think our squad of 25 will be interesting.

Guzan

Bunn

Steer

Hutton

Amavi     U-21

Crespo

Richardson

Richards

Lescott

Ilori

Okore

Clark

Bacuna

Gueye

Westwood

Veretout

Gardner

Sanchez

Cole

Gil

Traore    U-21

Grealish U-21

Sinclair

Gabby

Ayew

Kozak

Gestede

Senderos or Nzogbia might be registered as the 25th player but I doubt it? 

A better squad than we have had for some considerable time.

I'm just pointing out that your point is flawed as you've literally just said you don't see the point in having a big squad.

Last season we had 5 centrebacks and still struggled with availability and consistency. The extra defenders we have compared to last season will hardly be a huge drain on wages, especially when we've made savings elsewhere. Defence also remains a huge priority as it's years since we had a good one. So it makes total sense that we invested in that area of the pitch

There is a difference between big squad and a squad with too many defenders making the squad skewed. I made that point clear many times now, surely it can't be too hard to understand. The squad is big on defenders but small on midfielders. Is this clearer??

Edited by momo

There is a difference between big squad and a squad with too many defenders making the squad skewed. I made that point clear many times now, surely it can't be too hard to understand. The squad is big on defenders but small on midfielders. Is this clearer?

depends on what you class Richardson as, if you class Richardson as a midfielder then we have 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 attacking midfielders/wide forwards and 4 attackers

seems fairly balanced to me??

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

There is a difference between big squad and a squad with too many defenders making the squad skewed. I made that point clear many times now, surely it can't be too hard to understand. The squad is big on defenders but small on midfielders. Is this clearer??

He isn't struggling to understand your point he just doesn't agree with it. Neither do I as it happens, as KHV points out in the post above the squad isn't overly skewed with defenders over midfielders and as Stevo points out the number of defenders is required. If anything we are light a striker but that is a different discussion.

You might be interested to know last season we had 8 defenders in the 25 man squad and yet we still struggled as Stevo points out;

Last years defenders in the 25, 5 of whom have gone.

Baker

Cissokho

Clark

Hutton

Lowton

Okore

Senderos

Vlaar

You are perfectly entitled to your view but people are equally entitled to challenge it and be critical of it when you are using it as a reason to be critical of Sherwood. Especially when it would appear there is really very little justification for it.

• Like 2

right...even if it slightly skewed? (im not saying it is) who cares? What happens in your mind mono because we signed two defenders on transfer deadline? are we going to become broke because of it? We can no longer compete in the prem? Has it changed anythnig at all? i honestly dont get how it can make you so annoyed? lol

Edited by gharperr

Got to say, I'm very excited about what we could be in a few years.

Amavi, ilori, okore, veretourt, Gana, Gil, Grealish, Adama and Ayew.

All of those have the potential to be top quality premier league players. Could be an amazing team in a few years if they all develop.

We'll be lucky to ever field a team consisting of those players at the same time.

No need to be so patronising.

I understand your point, I just don't agree with it.

I've already given reasons why we might have the squad "unbalanced" in that way. 

It is not a disadvantage to us to have more defenders than we need, In fact it is the complete opposite.

We're not short of midfielders. We are slightly short of strikers but, given Sherwood's attempts to get another striker in, it owuld appear that having as many defenders as we do wasn't holding us back in recruiting firepower.

Lescott's will be 34 in a years time, Richard's doesn't have much experience at centre-back, Okore is injury prone and although Clark signed a contract we don't know how much Sherwood rates him (see baker). Add to all that the fact that Llori can also play at full-back and we've just Bennett to Bournemouth then I can see why Sherwood signed Llori.

Anyway. My point is not massively flawed. It is a massively valid point when we know that Ilori and Crespo mostly play as central defenders. So do Lescott, Okore, Clark, Senderos and now Richards. You guys can say what you want about squad dept and speculate about making some central defenders play out of position, but this is my take on it. And yes, I feel 7 central defenders is a bit too much. In my opinion.

Â