The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I'm sure a lot of us predicted that the team would take time to "click" with so many new faces.

That's exactly what's happening.

We'll be fine this season. I don't think we'll be troubling the top half come May, but we won't be fighting off relegation either.

• Like 2

I'm sure a lot of us predicted that the team would take time to "click" with so many new faces.

Whilst there are others who clearly refuse to do that, for whatever warped reason they have. Each to their own, I think it's childish to expect and demand instant results like that, to show such a measurable lack of patience.

Again, that is simply my opinion. Other opinions are valid.

Just a thought, and a slight change of perspective.

I see a few others have commented that far from being ' gung ho', we almost seem to be leaning, gently, towards the Lambo defensive approach, particularly as regards the midfield.

I just wonder whether Tim has made a deliberate decision that it is better to start off the season more solid ( particularly given the amount

of new, and young/ inexperienced - in Premier League terms - players).

For all some fans concerns defensively only the 2 Manchester Clubs, Liverpool, and Watford, have conceeded fewer goals so far.

Perhaps he is simply following one of the tried and trusted strategies of getting that solidity first, knowing that with Grealish, Vertout, Gil, Traore, etc we should create chances once he allows or encourages more forward movement from midfield.

Just a thought.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Terry who have we played so far?

newly promoted Bournemouth who mised chances

Manure who need a new striker

Palace who scored two past us

Not sure I agree with your assumption on that basis

Whilst there are others who clearly refuse to do that, for whatever warped reason they have. Each to their own, I think it's childish to expect and demand instant results like that, to show such a measurable lack of patience.

Again, that is simply my opinion. Other opinions are valid.

I don't think anyone is demanding miracles. Just some incline that were moving forward and not destined for another meh season.

Those comparing this to the bilge served up by Lambert are suffering from some kind of revisionist memory syndrome, IMO.

Is anyone? 

The style of play is clearly different, the lack of chances and shots on goal is eerily familiar though. 

Lack of chances created bearing in mind we have been missing our two most creative players in Gil and Grealish for 2 of those 3 games.  With Gil, Grealish and Traore playing together I would be very surprised if we don't create lots of chances.

I'm hoping that Sherwood doesn't turn out to be as stubborn as Lambert but this is something that remains to be seen. As I've said before, I want to wait until January to make a more informed decision.

Personally I think we should give him at the very least a full season. It's going to take time for the new players to bed in and for Tim and the team to get their ideas across.

This year is about transition (again) and hopefully we will kick on next year.

When you consider the amount of grace Lambert was given Tim deserves at least a season.

He should get a full season as long as it doesn't look like he's taking us down. 

Those comparing this to the bilge served up by Lambert are suffering from some kind of revisionist memory syndrome, IMO.

Is anyone? 

The style of play is clearly different, the lack of chances and shots on goal is eerily familiar though. 

It's been 3 games for **** sake.

Even then, we've had in excess of 20 shots over them which is far removed from the latter days of Lambert's reign.

Y'know, thinking about it, there is a movement toward the Lambert days of old - younger signings.

However, instead of these being lower-costing players such asMatt Lowton, Joe Bennett, Yacouba Sylla, Nicklas Helenius, Antonio Luna et al, we're looking at top young talent from the French and Spanish leagues.

I don't expect much straight away (I hope we'll be much more comfortable this season, though) but I think we're set up for a really exciting few years.

Terry who have we played so far?

newly promoted Bournemouth who mised chances

Manure who need a new striker

Palace who scored two past us

Not sure I agree with your assumption on that basis

Don't quite get what you mean.....do you mean you wouldn't expect the cautious approach against those three, or that if it was cautious it didn't work very well, or something else ! Sorry Richard..

If its the first one, I would say that if he was following my theory then he would do it for the first few games regardless of who it was.

If its the second then I would say it worked okay, no more no less.

If you meant something slightly different sorry I've missed it.

Fwiw my own view that there is an element of reigning things in in one way or another.

I certainly hope that it is deliberate and temporary, if so, because I wouldn't want to watch us playing as conservatively for a whole season.

Edited by terrytini

Y'know, thinking about it, there is a movement toward the Lambert days of old - younger signings.

However, instead of these being lower-costing players such asMatt Lowton, Joe Bennett, Yacouba Sylla, Nicklas Helenius, Antonio Luna et al, we're looking at top young talent from the French and Spanish leagues.

I don't expect much straight away (I hope we'll be much more comfortable this season, though) but I think we're set up for a really exciting few years.

Agree with this pretty much but I wouldn't mind if we got a couple more bodies in to strengthen attack and defence before Tuesday.

Â