The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood was trying to convince Benteke to stay so was probably saying anything he could to put doubt in his mind. Who cares though

Not sure I can be arsed to trawl back through this discussion to see who said what but is it relevant at all that Sherwood has denied the discussion took place?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tim-sherwood-hits-back-dreamer-6215100

Sherwood responded: “I can’t remember ever saying that, he must have dreamt that one.

“I would try anything to make him stay but I don’t remember ever saying he shouldn’t go and play for Liverpool. I wouldn’t be that disrespectful to that football club.”

The press (Mirror in partic) are trying to generate a "feud" story here but I doubt there is one to be had.

I always felt Christian's English wasn't so great so maybe he misunderstood what Sherwood was saying to him or maybe a journalist tricked him into saying something he didn't mean.

Or maybe he is just a typical git of a footballer who rounds on his old club as soon as he leaves but I would prefer not to believe that.

However, Sherwood has said quite clearly he didn't have the conversation that Benteke reports so this should surely just be dropped.

Edited by briny_ear

Kozak not even in the squad after being decent in pre-season then :o

He really wasn't. One game against wolves.

First pre season in nearly two years though. Didn't play for 18 month (I think, got my dates muddled in the pre match thread), so to expect him to be brilliant isn't fair. He needs time.. and he certainly did more than Gabby.

obviously said something at half time as we came out much better, and i thought the substitution was excellent timing - we were getting on top, had the momentum and he took advantage of that.

• Like 2

Already an improvement from last season in terms of our overall ball retention and the way we move it around the pitch. Just needs a bit more time to gel and a few more bodies to bolster the squad and we should be fine. To think that we still have Grealish and Gil to come back too!

In contrast to his persona, there are quiet assurances about this Villa team under Sherwood. Dosen't matter how we play but we'll get that win in the end.

There's still more to come. With Kozak being ditched there's another striker incoming and still got Gil and Grealish back shortly to add more creativity to things in the final third. Looking forward to it.

Even though one or two players looked understandably rusty today, i believe Tim when he says we will not be in a relegation battle again. Lots to look forward to this year i think.

Whatever he said at half time worked wonders!

The signings he has made look like they will be very intelligent ones.

Amavi looks a million miles ahead of Cissoko, Gueye appears to be like for like with Delph, Veretout didn't have his most impressive game but from the glimpses he showed I think he'll be an upgrade on Cleverly and Gestede's presence in the air shows that he could replace Benteke's goals.

Obviously these are early observations but it looks like shrewd business so far.

Â