The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

When you consider the position we were in when he arrived he's done quite well really regardless of the last two games. It's quite hard to understate just how bad a place we were in when we finally sacked Lambert - mentally the team were absolutely shot.

you are right we have done well and we were in dire straits....Tim has kept us up.

but if we are going to improve, you can't say regardless of this game or that game....we went in to games in '81 to win every one and with a 110% workrate ethic.

Stoke didn't have to score 6 goals today

Mourinho is now talking about improving on this season , next season.....That has to be the Mantra.....all relative of course.

What I am saying is I don't want the team to slip back in to easy street with a bunch of get out of jail cards...... we need a tougher edge to us.

• Like 2

av_bur.png

Back to more of a 4-4-2 shape today with Jack wide left. We must change this for the final, or we'll get obliterated and be out of it after 25 minutes.

The 4-3-2-1 has worked very well, and central to its success has been the midfield three not stepping on each other's toes. Delph and Clev are fit enough to cover plenty of ground offensively and leave Westwood to play, and they can get back and form a decent bank in front of the defence.

A return to that system, which we beat Liverpool with, is still possibly too open against a side like Arsenal. We could consider a 4-5-1 for me Hutton at RB, Bacuna and Gab on the wings. Very negative that though, and it means Grealish doesn't start which, doesn't seem fair, he's been excellent recently.

And one more thing ! this goes to all the previous Villa managers, what do they see in Gabby, I like him, he is Villa through and through, but he is absolut garbage. Should sell him to free up his wages for another player (read he is on 50k +, ridiculous) 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 2

A dismal end to the season? We've lost 2 games and only had one really bad 45 mins in all. The objective was safety which after the Hull game seemed nigh on impossible. We now have one game left and Sherwood could become a legend but no matter what happens he's done great and if we can replicate this form next season we will be comfortably mid table. Thanks Tim

We've been thrashed by Southampton and then beaten at Villa Park by a team that were already relegated. If we follow that up by missing out on winning the FA Cup for the first time in a long time then I'd say it's been a dismal end to the season and I think Sherwood himself might agree with me.

He did the (almost) impossible and kept us up, and kept us up in a manner that we could afford to lose both our last games and STILL stay up. Job done, let's see how he fares with a much more ambitious goal of top half next season... once we get the FA Cup wrapped up of course :P

If we follow that up by missing out on winning the FA Cup for the first time in a long time then I'd say it's been a dismal end to the season

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

• Like 2

We've been thrashed by Southampton and then beaten at Villa Park by a team that were already relegated. If we follow that up by missing out on winning the FA Cup for the first time in a long time then I'd say it's been a dismal end to the season and I think Sherwood himself might agree with me.

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

Such a defeatist attitude. Us beating them would not be a major upset and being in the FA cup final is not just a bonus as stated elsewhere. The way some people are talking you'd think it was a friendly or something. If we lose next week, it will certainly make the season worse for me, but I guess that's up to the individual.

Edited by useless

It has been a dismal season but that's not Sherwood's fault. He picked us up when we were in a hell of a mess and managed to drag us over the line. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that long term he's the right guy. 

Regardless, the FA cup is not going to be a decisive factor in what has been a terrible season overall. There's a lot of work to be done this summer. 

• Like 1

My point is that it will have been a dismal end to the season and Sherwood's beginning at the club, if we lose next week. I don't see how being thrashed 6-1, losing at home to Burnley and then losing an FA Cup final can be seen as anything else other than dismal, and like I say I'm pretty sure that Sherwood himself would agree with that.

If we win the FA Cup it will make it a brilliant season, if we lose out then I guess it will add to the misery. I agree there's a lot work to be done regardless, trouble is we seem to say that every summer.

Of course it will have been a dismal end should it happen, no matter how anyone tries to dress it up. And what's me backing Lambert got to do with anything? It's not as if I've said 'it will be a dismal end to the season and Sherwood should be sacked'. Overall I think he's done an half decent job.

Curious why people thought yesterday's game was "dead rubber", pretty sure £1m-2m extra prize money was on offer I'm almost certain the club didn't look at it as dead rubber and if they did something is very wrong. Instead we have lost out on some prize money, might not mean a lot of for the top clubs but we need everything we can get. Supposedly we pocket £4.9m for our final position but could've got £7.4m if we had we even taken a draw and almost double had we won. Fans might not care but I'd like to think the club did.

• Like 1

Surely we all have to admit that, overall, he's done an excellent job so far. He said we'd stay up and, once we left the bottom three, we wouldn't return in to it - mission accomplished. When he arrived he said we would reach the cup final, joking or not, we made it.

For those achievements he must be applauded as I have no doubts that, if Lambert was still here, we would have been relegated and wouldn't have another game left to play.

Looking forward, I do share that concern about Sherwood's style of management. The gung-ho style of football will work in some games but it will mean getting thrashed in others. It will be interesting to see if he can buy players who are capable of producing more solid displays. Or, does he not prefer that type of football?

I am not keen on the apparent treatment of Guzan and Gil. But, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe they've done or said something wrong? I just hope Sherwood isn't the type to freeze players out based on just a bad game or two. Having said that, if he was that type, wouldn't Vlaar and Richardson be out too?

I've liked what I've seen from him so far but I am still not entirely convinced of Tim Sherwood being the next best thing. I hope he is and that he can take us away from this downward spiral that we seem to have been in for the last few years. But, I will go into next season with an open mind and a nagging concern about how the season will pan out, rather than the way I wish I could feel - comfortable in the knowledge that we will be fine and never looking over our shoulders at relegation.

Edited by villarocker

It's all a ploy you mugs, get the gunners over confident, Theo just bagged a hatrick how can they lose, we've lost our last two, BANG, Gil starts and we win 3-0 innit.

It's all a ploy you mugs, get the gunners over confident, Theo just bagged a hatrick how can they lose, we've lost our last two, BANG, Gil starts and we win 3-0 innit.

A bloke at work suggested this theory, how I would dearly love to believe it!

Edited by alreadyexists

The way he talks up us fans I thought he may have got the team to play for us at VP yesterday. Last game of the season should be fun, its obvious either the team didn't play for him, or he just took it that it was a training game, no other eason to play the top boys in such a meaningless game, The atmosphere was dour and it seems its the other way around this time, like many of the fans on here are the only ones with confidence in Tim.

He seems a bit too much like MON for me, yes he can win a game or 2 through graft, but it will never get you till the end of the season, he is too late with his subs too, hardly ever make an impact. Im not saying I want him gone, far from it, he's done a excelent job of keeping us up. But for me he has alot more to prove before i'll be shouting his name at Villa park.

• Like 1

I hope I don't get banned for this, because as I see it, it seems to be illegal opinion to have, but I am not 100% sold on Tim Sherwood. I don't want us to have a manager that only buys British again, I don't want a manager who's only strength seems to be motivation, subs and tactics sometimes seem to be quit weak and I know it's just rumor (but how often do we actually sign players we are nor rumored to) but I am not exited at all with the players we are being linked to. 

Bit worried how we just gave up in our last two games. 

Motivation only gets a team so far and if we look at our end of season, as soon as we looked safe the players look shit again.

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down.  And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

Pretty much the post i was going to write.

I will be forever thankful to Tim for keeping us in the league, and even more so if we win the FA-Cup.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't think Tim is the longtime solution for us. And if we do get taken over I hope they bring in another manager.

• Like 1

I hope I don't get banned for this, because as I see it, it seems to be illegal opinion to have, but I am not 100% sold on Tim Sherwood. I don't want us to have a manager that only buys British again, I don't want a manager who's only strength seems to be motivation, subs and tactics sometimes seem to be quit weak and I know it's just rumor (but how often do we actually sign players we are nor rumored to) but I am not exited at all with the players we are being linked to. 

Bit worried how we just gave up in our last two games. 

Motivation only gets a team so far and if we look at our end of season, as soon as we looked safe the players look shit again.

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down.  And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

Pretty much the post i was going to write.

I will be forever thankful to Tim for keeping us in the league, and even more so if we win the FA-Cup.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't think Tim is the longtime solution for us. And if we do get taken over I hope they bring in another manager.

We've outplayed Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, and Everton in recent weeks, all with the same squad that Lambert was performing so dismally with.  That's not just down to motivation, at all.  He's still got the same shite collection of players that Lambert had, so keeping us up was a monumental effort, and until he sorts the squad out, there's always going to be the possibility of bad results.

• Like 3

Â