The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He did well to keep us up..... im not denying him that.. however i expected whoever stepped in to keep us up.. our side always had the ability to play better than it was under Lambert. He had completely lost them.

He did that job but it hardly makes him a super manager. He still has a lot to prove and some of his decisions have been bizarre to say the least (No im not referring to Gil) but his actual tactics/subs in games.

I also have massive doubts on how he would go in the transfer market. I hope he just doesnt go after former Tottenham Youth players as thats not the way to go. (Luongo according to the press is on his way this week. Its okay to get 1 or 2 but i hope he listens to the scouts as well and brings in the likes of Vlaar or Benteke from overseas if required.

Now before the Sherwood fans attack.. i am not bagging him.. i just have doubts as he is yet to prove these things.. i am not making up my mind.. I like him as a person and as a motivator he is excellent. Whether hes up to much else.. time will tell.

Prepared to give him till the end of next season and judge them.

• Like 4

I'm convinced the Burnley result was down to an adrenalin dump. The lads must have been so mentally drained having to fight relegation again and knowing that when all is said and done the Burnley game meant nothing in the grand scheme of things I can excuse them that result.

The Southampton one is the real concern of all the results we've had so far and not just in terms of the score line but in terms of our tactics and unwillingness to change them. We all would love to have seen Villa come out and prove that result was a fluke but it was just the wrong setting to do so.

Hopefully the FA Cup final is where they prove it.

A Cup win will be more than just a bonus. If we win it I won't be thinking 'well we've won the cup, but it's just a bonus. The main thing is that we've avoided relegation'.

The important thing was to keep us up, and that was what he was tasked with doing.

The FA Cup was never a part of that.

av_bur.png

Back to more of a 4-4-2 shape today with Jack wide left. We must change this for the final, or we'll get obliterated and be out of it after 25 minutes.

The 4-3-2-1 has worked very well, and central to its success has been the midfield three not stepping on each other's toes. Delph and Clev are fit enough to cover plenty of ground offensively and leave Westwood to play, and they can get back and form a decent bank in front of the defence.

A return to that system, which we beat Liverpool with, is still possibly too open against a side like Arsenal. We could consider a 4-5-1 for me Hutton at RB, Bacuna and Gab on the wings. Very negative that though, and it means Grealish doesn't start which, doesn't seem fair, he's been excellent recently.

Drop Agbonlahor - we were doing better without him.

A Cup win will be more than just a bonus. If we win it I won't be thinking 'well we've won the cup, but it's just a bonus. The main thing is that we've avoided relegation'.

The important thing was to keep us up, and that was what he was tasked with doing.

The FA Cup was never a part of that.

What the manager is tasked to do by the owner is irrelevant to us as fans as our aspirations are clearly more than the owners have been the past few years. People said the same when they were told that Lambert's remit was to just keep us in the league and even though he did it, it wasn't acceptable and nor should it have been.

Excellent job done in keeping us and i'm 100% sure Tim would love to win the cup just as much as we would thankfully.

Wasnt to keen on Sherwood when he arrived, associated him with Harry Redknap too much and thought he would take us down.

But  He proved me wrong by getting the team playing good football and winning.

As others I am not sure he can build long term but prepared to see what he can do this summer and hopefully prove me wrong again.

Sometimes you just have to take a gamble instead of going with the safe option.

Perfectly acceptable to have doubts. No one should have to defend their views.

I also have a few doubts long term.

He has done what has been required of him which is to keep us up; depending on the money spent (or whoever the owner) the target should change next season and he needs to be reassessed again.

The main issue here going forward and this isn't just to do with Sherwood is to not make the mistake of keeping a manager for too long if it looks like it won't work out.

This summer is probably one of the biggest the club have had in a while; get it wrong and it can really go pear shaped.

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 2

We've been thrashed by Southampton and then beaten at Villa Park by a team that were already relegated. If we follow that up by missing out on winning the FA Cup for the first time in a long time then I'd say it's been a dismal end to the season and I think Sherwood himself might agree with me.

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

Such a defeatist attitude. Us beating them would not be a major upset and being in the FA cup final is not just a bonus as stated elsewhere. The way some people are talking you'd think it was a friendly or something. If we lose next week, it will certainly make the season worse for me, but I guess that's up to the individual.

Yes, it would be a major upset. Get real, or you will be in for a disappointment. We can beat them, and it would be brilliant if we did, but it is unlikely, especially in light of our last two performances, when it looks to me that the players have thought `job done...relax'.

Hopefully they can have a better attitude for the final, and not humiliate us in front of millions.

I hope I don't get banned for this, because as I see it, it seems to be illegal opinion to have, but I am not 100% sold on Tim Sherwood. I don't want us to have a manager that only buys British again, I don't want a manager who's only strength seems to be motivation, subs and tactics sometimes seem to be quit weak and I know it's just rumor (but how often do we actually sign players we are nor rumored to) but I am not exited at all with the players we are being linked to. 

Bit worried how we just gave up in our last two games. 

Motivation only gets a team so far and if we look at our end of season, as soon as we looked safe the players look shit again.

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down.  And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

Pretty much the post i was going to write.

I will be forever thankful to Tim for keeping us in the league, and even more so if we win the FA-Cup.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't think Tim is the longtime solution for us. And if we do get taken over I hope they bring in another manager.

We've outplayed Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, and Everton in recent weeks, all with the same squad that Lambert was performing so dismally with.  That's not just down to motivation, at all.  He's still got the same shite collection of players that Lambert had, so keeping us up was a monumental effort, and until he sorts the squad out, there's always going to be the possibility of bad results.

Not disagreeing with you there. As i said Tim has done all that was asked and more.

It's the long term that worries me. I will always be hesitant towards english former top-flight players turned managers, and i will always favor hardcore tacticians rather than motivators (being both is obviously what you wan't)

No one knows how Tim is in the transfermarket as he's never done it, therefore i worry that he may be one of those who still think that going british will still work in modern football (this is based on nothing but guesswork and rumors, but i still worry) 

I also think that playing too narrow or using the "Guardiola high defensive line" there's always going to the certainty of a bad results

We've been thrashed by Southampton and then beaten at Villa Park by a team that were already relegated. If we follow that up by missing out on winning the FA Cup for the first time in a long time then I'd say it's been a dismal end to the season and I think Sherwood himself might agree with me.

Hold on a minute... Arsenal beating us next week would not in any way shape or form make anything dismal. Arsenal beating us would be just about par for the course. They're expected to beat us, and any other result would be a major upset. Losing to them is NOT going to make the season any worse, unless they absolutely destroy us

Such a defeatist attitude. Us beating them would not be a major upset and being in the FA cup final is not just a bonus as stated elsewhere. The way some people are talking you'd think it was a friendly or something. If we lose next week, it will certainly make the season worse for me, but I guess that's up to the individual.

Yes, it would be a major upset. Get real, or you will be in for a disappointment. We can beat them, and it would be brilliant if we did, but it is unlikely, especially in light of our last two performances, when it looks to me that the players have thought `job done...relax'.

Hopefully they can have a better attitude for the final, and not humiliate us in front of millions.

Arsenal are favourites and if we beat them, it might be an unexpected result for many, but it wouldn't be a 'major upset'.

Really disappointed with the last 2 results and the overall way in which we have played. Fully expecting us to get smashed in the final now and I also have some doubts over how we will perform next season.

Only QPR lost more games than us and had a worse goal difference. We also only managed to pick up points across 18 games which is shameful.

Still worried.

When remembering our last two results, we must also consider that the players have got a cup final in their mind. You could see today that many of the players were hesitant going into tackles, and didn't seem to want to give 100% for much of the game, probably through fear of getting injured or sent off and missing the final.

Would you prefer that Sherwood had seen us knocked out against WBA or Liverpool, which in turn would probably have seen is play with a greater intensity in the final two games?

I'm perfectly happy with Sherwood's performance this season. Premier League survival and an FA Cup Final.

AVFC overall season: 5/10

TS: 8/10

• Like 2

I hope I don't get banned for this, because as I see it, it seems to be illegal opinion to have, but I am not 100% sold on Tim Sherwood. I don't want us to have a manager that only buys British again, I don't want a manager who's only strength seems to be motivation, subs and tactics sometimes seem to be quit weak and I know it's just rumor (but how often do we actually sign players we are nor rumored to) but I am not exited at all with the players we are being linked to. 

Motivation only gets a team so far and if we look at our end of season, as soon as we looked safe the players look shit again.

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down.  And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

What more can Sherwood do with this current side that isn't his? Think that's a little harsh to be honest

• Like 1

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not be sold on Sherwood yet - he's got some very good results for us but let's be honest, he's not shown any real tactical nous yet and didn't really at Spurs either, so it's a legitimate concern. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 3

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down. And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

'I hope I don't get banned for this'.. *facepalm*
  • Like 1

If the players were already thinking about Wembley when we were facing Southampton and should be fighting for our lives to avoid relegation, them Tim is not the great motivator he's supposed to be

• Like 1

Though he definantly has his positives, giving youth a chance and he did save our season, as we looked certain to go down. And me having a little go at him does not mean I want him sacked, he deserves a chance, but I don't have a good feeling.

'I hope I don't get banned for this'.. *facepalm*

You've admitted in your post that the players we've been linked to are just within paper rumours, so there's no real reason other than pant-wetting to think that Sherwood's transfer strategy will be something not to get excited about, or to even be fearful of.

As I've said in a couple of posts lately, part of the reason we've seen a drop in performances in the last two games will undoubtedly be because the players have a Wembley cup final in their minds.

Should it effect them? No.

Will it effect them (and most other players of other teams in our position)? Without a doubt, yes.

We'd all like a manager who's strengths are motivation, subs, unbeatable tactics and a foolproof transfer strategy. But we need to be realistic and face it that we're not in the position to be going for the cream of the crop of club management, at the moment.

We've currently got a manager who definitely CAN motivate players. He's also shown that he's not entirely one-dimensional with his tactics. He's young and only in his second short job as a manager, so he's bound to hit a few bumps in the road. But, as it happens, our bumps in the road have come in the same month that we've got an FA Cup final to look forward to. I'm struggling to see too many negatives, despite a 6-1 loss.

Would we be better casting our net far and wide like Southampton, to find another Pochettino? Maybe. But I'm not going to make any statements about doubting that Sherwood could be a decent long term manager for us. Because in my opinion, he has the raw potential to be a great manager.

Sorry, bad joke xD 

But how often does a team buy a player that they are NOT rumored to? and I don't think there is one player rumored that I would be interested in. But yes, it is rumors therefor I give him the benefit of the doubt and think he deserves the chance in a transfer window.

But I do agree, we have to be realistic, great managers don't grow on trees, so we must be careful for what we wish for. But motivation only gets a team so far (and only has a short term effect) and if we look at all the teams around us, Crystal Palace, West Brom, Sunderland were also able to find a new manager that motivated them out of the relegation zone, Nigel Person got Leicester going and hell, even John Carver motivated Newcastle to win their most important game, but I am willing to bet any amount of money that all these teams will be down fighting relegation again next season. I really can't take another relegation battle it drains my energy and makes me depressed. 

But I do NOT want Sherwood fired, I want him to have a go next season, he did what he was asked to do and we are in a fa cup final (two weeks ago I could not wait to go to Wembley, I am now dreading it), next season is when I will really judge him. 

Edited by Chicken Field

Oh and one other thing, I really really dislike when managers praise the players to much, MON's Ashley young's as good as Messi, Lambert praising every player every week and Sherwood's Bacuna the new Cafu, Benteke best in europe and Delph best in england. It nearly always backfires and after Sherwood's praises on bacuna, Benteke and delph they have all become worse, just like Ashley Young and all the players for Lambert.

Â